2012 Hyundai Tucson engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Tucson:

2012 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Jun 052014

Tucson 4-cyl

I pushed on the gas to accelerate and nothing happened except the rpms spiked to around 5-6K and the engine sounded as if I were in neutral and revving it up aggressively. This has subsequently happened dozens of times when traveling between 30 and 65 mph. It is scary, especially when I need to accelerate, say in a passing situation or when traveling to get out of the way. I've taken the vehicle to Hyundai (sheppard in eugene/springfield, or) twice for this issue. Both times, they kept it overnight and returned it to me without fixing anything saying: 1) I was the only one in the world who reported this problem, 2) they couldn't replicate the problem, and 3) there is nothing wrong with my vehicle.

- Oakridge, OR, USA

Dec 032012

Tucson 4-cyl

I own a Hyundai Tucson 2012. On December 31, 2012, we took the vehicle to the dealership for regular maintenance and reported that we have experienced several instances of sudden unintended acceleration (sua) (I.e., the RPM raced up to 4,000 rpms when at idle and accelerator was not pressed). The dealership could not duplicate/verify concern. On November 10, 2013, again we expressed the dealership the same concern; however, we received the same response as on December 31, 2012. Throughout this year we have experienced sua several times, the most recent one last night, when while in motion the car unexpectedly accelerated its RPM. I believe this is a seriously safety concern which Hyundai should address immediately by investigating the problem and issuing a safety recall to its customers. Please advice the action we should take to have this problem solved and avoid any injuries.

- Burke, VA, USA

Sep 012012

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Tucson. The contact stated that there was a recurring failure in which the vehicle would hesitate for 5-6 seconds when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis but the cause for the failure was not determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 12,000.

- Campbell, CA, USA

Jan 242013

Tucson 4-cyl

I should start by stating that this has been an ongoing issue with this vehicle since I got it last year. At random times, while driving, my vehicle will not allow me to go above 2500K rpms, even with the gas pedal fully depressed. This may happen while I am on a slow road or, as today, when I am on the highway. It is a safety concern because I will need to merge onto the highway or speed up for some other reason and suddenly I have no power. I will be going 30mph and entering a 70mph roadway. The only way to stop this is to pull over, turn the vehicle off, and then turn it back on. I have taken it to my Hyundai dealer multiple times and they have been unable to fix it or address it in any way whatsoever. It is a huge safety issue that they will not address.

- Belton, TX, USA