Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008 Veracruz has a minor trend of complaints where the valve cover leaks oil onto the alternator, causing alternator failure. The problem starts with the battery warning light & typically all the other warning lights coming on in quick succession. Luckily, that problem was covered in a 2014 recall.

Overall, It's a solid reliable vehicle with no major problems reported.

2008 Hyundai Veracruz drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Veracruz:

2008 Hyundai Veracruz Owner Comments

May 312015

The ESC light is constantly illuminated when the car power is on. Rear brake lights intermittently don't come on while driving. Frequently unable to shift the car out of park (which we have to perform manually with a screwdriver and the override switch in the shifter console). Due to previous recalls, we have discontinued using cruise control because we aren't sure whether or not it will disengage when braking. These problems began over 6 months ago. They are very much a safety issue! despite identical problems in nhtsc campaigns for this year/make/model vehicle -- a campaign has not appeared for my vehicle's VIN.

- Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Mar 172015

Veracruz 4WD 6-cyl

I am the 2nd owner of this 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. The ESC, ABS and brake warning lights have been illuminated for months. Two dealers were unable to tell me the issue or to get the lights to turn off. Offered many services (not the AWD module). The AWD light would occasionally illuminate and I would lose cruise control and speedometer. Mid-March, the car became difficult to start - would turn over but wouldn't stay running once it was placed in drive and stalled a number of times in traffic (very dangerous! imagine left turns across a 2-lane highway!) I have gotten all the recall work done including the alternator and leaky valve cover gasket (not plural). This is a very dangerous problem that is common with these cars. I understand the module is around $2500 to fix and car is just past warranty when these issues start. I cannot with good conscious sell this to another human. Please make them issue a recall! thank you!

- Faber, VA, USA

Mar 042015

Veracruz 4WD 6-cyl

The ABS module is faulty because of the defective wiring harness. The harness is susceptible to live environmental elements especially during winter due to the high salt use on roads especially in the states with harsh winter. This problem creates a safety hazards and render the vehicle operation in a stall mode. Over time it could causes fire hazard, sudden acceleration cruise control lock with no release option that could results in a crash. It could cause other components failures like main PCM module and side modules of the vehicle. The harnesses on the Veracruz are not sealed properly and highly defectives.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Dec 042014

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift into park. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000. The VIN was not available.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Oct 292014

Veracruz 6-cyl

The car just failed and did not have power. Lights came on and then car stopped. It is recall 121 from Hyundai but they will not fix the problem because they have no solution. I tried to fix it once before but I was told I had to pay my own bill and they might reimburse me because they have no long term fix for the issue. But my car died because of it and they say that is my problem because I have 151K miles on the car. I spoke to many people at Hyundai and no one would take responsibility. That is crazy that they know it is a problem but will not own up to fixing it for me.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

May 062013

At random times, I cannot move my shifter from drive to park and it seems to correspond with the ESC light turning on without pushing the button. I can only move the shifter from drive to neutral and have to leave the car ignition partially on and cannot lock the vehicle. Obviously a safety concern! I have brought it to the local dealer only to be told there is nothing wrong with the ESC control even after the recall bulletin. The dealer just did a fix relating to the oil leak issue and told him it was also doing the shift issue. Picked vehicle up 9/25/14 as everything was supposed to be resolved but only to have the shifter and ESC issue again on 9/27 and 9/29/14. Called dealer and am bringing in vehicle again today 9/29/14.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Aug 072014

Veracruz 6-cyl

Randomly after pulling up to a stop in my garage, I cannot move my shifter from drive to park. I can only move it back and forth from neutral to drive. After turning the car on and off multiple times in neutral it allowed me to put the car into park. I could not back out of my garage, nor could I put it into park, a serious safety concern. I called Hyundai corporate and they told me the recall for it has already been done, but it is doing it now every time I want to put it into park. The ESC off light comes on without pushing the button and the car is stuck in drive.

- Schofield, WI, USA

Aug 032013

Veracruz 6-cyl

The vehicle will occasionally not shift into or out of park. The ESC light also comes on. There is a recall for this model of car, but the dealership is saying that the VIN shows that it is not subject to recall, despite the fact that the dealership diagnosed the problem as a faulty stop lamp switch. The exact problem with the vehicle is what is described in the summary section of your website. I'm not sure why my vehicle is not subject to recall.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 022012

Veracruz 6-cyl

July 2012 - gasket leaked and killed alternator and battery. Car stopped suddenly and needed to be towed to the dealership. Dealer fixed the alternator and gasket but I had to pay for battery. July 2013 - alternator died while driving and battery light came on. I had to pay for alternator change $550 as I was above 60,000 miles.

- Nazareth, PA, USA