Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008 Veracruz has a minor trend of complaints where the valve cover leaks oil onto the alternator, causing alternator failure. The problem starts with the battery warning light & typically all the other warning lights coming on in quick succession. Luckily, that problem was covered in a 2014 recall.

Overall, It's a solid reliable vehicle with no major problems reported.

2008 Hyundai Veracruz engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Veracruz:

2008 Hyundai Veracruz Owner Comments

Jun 142016

Vehicle stopped while driving without warning. Unable to start. Dangerous situation, unable to control vehicle. I was about to enter the interstate and loss power. Had to have the vehicle towed. Had this same issue with the alternator recall. Had to have the vehicle towed to a dealer. Dealer said it was engine failure. No warning lights came on dash, no issues. With the previous alternator recall, oil was dripping onto the alternator and the vehicle shut down while driving. I did not feel safe driving the vehicle as I did not know when this would happen. This vehicle is not safe to drive.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

May 052016

Engine valve cover gasket and alternator was replaced at the end of 2014 by a recall. Engine leaks again and dripping on top of the alternator. Hyundai refused to fix it as it is over a year after replacing the parts.

- Copley, OH, USA

Dec 182015

"ABS failure" and "alternator recall 121" the break, ABS, ESC and chk engine lights all came on and stay on. From time to time the TPMS light will also come on and speedometer will be at zero when driving along the highway. The car will from time to time completely shut down, even while driving along highway, which is a very dangerous situation. Upon further research and diagnostics by Hyundai it seems 2 items are the root cause of the problems, 1) faulty ABS module that was been reported by 100's of people and 2) faulty alternator that affects the loss in power, again with 100's of complaints. There is a recall for alternator but not the ABS module. This is a very expensive repair and with only 70000 miles, this should be replaced/fixed under Hyundai usa warranty.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Dec 102015

The break, ABS, ESC and chk engine light all came on and literally everything shut down. There was no steering (extremely difficult), and worst of all no breaks. I could barely bring the car to a stop with both feet and had to divert my travel into a parking lot to avoid going through a red light. The problem stems from a faulty ABS module and has been reported numerous times on various web sites. The repair is very costly and the consequences are so potentially deadly I can't understand why this has not been a recall item.. please do the driving public a huge favor and investigate this problem. It's not as though Hyundai doesn't know about the problem.

- Eaton, OH, USA

Mar 082015

We have a strong smell of antifreeze in our vehicle. It is constant, while driving or stationary, we can smell it inside the cabin of the vehicle or outside around the engine compartment while it is running. The level of antifreeze slowly declines. We also get a film on the front windshield. We have reported it to our local Hyundai dealership and they are unable to locate the problem. I am concerned breathing this in may cause health problems and we have a 3 year old granddaughter that is in the vehicle with us.

- Milton, WI, USA

Oct 262015

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. While driving 10 mph, the battery warning light illuminated and the radio shut off. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the alternator failed and the valve cover casket was damaged and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 85,822.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Sep 042015

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. The contact stated that vehicle was taken to a dealer for repairs under NHTSA campaign number: 14V415000 (engine and engine cooling).the contact stated that the technician failed to complete the recall remedy and only repaired the valve cover gasket. As a result, the alternator was not replaced. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle stalled after the recall repair being performed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the starter failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000. The VIN was not available.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 172015

Veracruz 4WD 6-cyl

I am the 2nd owner of this 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. The ESC, ABS and brake warning lights have been illuminated for months. Two dealers were unable to tell me the issue or to get the lights to turn off. Offered many services (not the AWD module). The AWD light would occasionally illuminate and I would lose cruise control and speedometer. Mid-March, the car became difficult to start - would turn over but wouldn't stay running once it was placed in drive and stalled a number of times in traffic (very dangerous! imagine left turns across a 2-lane highway!) I have gotten all the recall work done including the alternator and leaky valve cover gasket (not plural). This is a very dangerous problem that is common with these cars. I understand the module is around $2500 to fix and car is just past warranty when these issues start. I cannot with good conscious sell this to another human. Please make them issue a recall! thank you!

- Faber, VA, USA

Feb 132015

Veracruz 6-cyl

I am the owner of a 2008 Hyundai vera cruz. In 2014 my oil gasket leaked and I brought the car to a local garage and had it repaired. It cost $400. A few months later, I had a problem due to a power failure and I went to another garage nearby, and discovered my alternator failed and needed to be replaced. It cost me another $400. A few months later, I received notice from Hyundai stating that they discovered a fault in the oil gasket which could leak into the alternator and cause it to fail. I contacted Hyundai and explained what had happened. They assured me, just as it says in the recall notice, that if I had the work done already, I would be reimbursed, but they first wanted me to bring the car to a Hyundai service center, which I did. They checked the repairs and decided to re-do the gasket replacement, although they had no explanation as to why. They did not re-do the alternator so I assume they deemed it okay. Now, I have been going back and forth with them supplying copies of the repairs that I had done, and the repair orders, and the credit card receipts, some of which, strangely, kept getting lost even though I sent them as email attachments (after scanning them to digitize the copies). I was told some of the copies arrived, but others did not even though they all went with the same email. In any case, it has been a few months and now they finally said they would like to reimburse me for the repairs but have determined (again, with no explanation) that I should only receive $195. I have asked for an explanation and they simply state they want to pay me a lesser amount for the parts that were provided in the repairs and less for the labor. I must admit, I am a bit dumbfounded. I may be a disabled veteran but there is nothing wrong with my math. Can you please help me?

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 302015

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. The contact stated that after the vehicle being serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V415000 (engine and engine cooling), the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact stated that the recall remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Elkmont, AL, USA

Aug 072014

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the alternator and the valve cover gasket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact also stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V415000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was 92,437.

- Newport News , VA, USA

Nov 142014

Front cylinder.

- Front Royal, VA, USA

Jul 262013

Veracruz 6-cyl

While driving at 1500 RPM (25 mpg in a school zone, 2 miles after start up my car hesitates, stutters, and threatens to stall.) (60 miles an hour in heavy traffic) when in traffic, this distracts me from the area around me which is dangerous to me and to those around me. I have reported this to preston Hyundai on many occasions over the past 4 years and they say, "no trouble found." I have sent them an email with photos of the engine light coming on again and again and have not gotten a reply. I have now made4 video of these incidents.

- Easton, MD, USA

Jul 042013

Veracruz 6-cyl

Battery warning light came on, followed by every other warning light on the dash, one by one (ABS, air bag, check-engine, etc.) drove car to a safe place and turned it off--and then it would not start again. Had car towed to dealer who diagnosed a failed alternator--and this is the fourth time on this car which has less that 60K miles on it. My parents also own a Veracruz and are on their third alternator. This is a known problem with Hyundai yet they will not engineer a good solution and fix it once and for all. This is the fourth time we have been stuck at the side of the road and had to be towed. This is not acceptable. Someone needs to step in and require that Hyundai recall these cars and find a solution that works for more than a few thousand miles.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jul 232012

Alternator failure due to leak on valve cover. A known design flaw on the seal for the valve cover allows oil to leak on to alternator causing failure and rendering the engine inoperable. This could easily cause a crash and death due to engine stall.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Jun 232012

Veracruz 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine and all wheel drive warning lamps illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who had not been able to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 25,350.. updated 07/27/12 the consumer stated after the vehicle's total power failure the tsp was replaced and the ECU was reprogrammed. Updated 08/02/2012.

- Newfoundland, NJ, USA