2008 Jeep Compass miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Compass:

2008 Jeep Compass Owner Comments

Apr 072016

So this among other issues start late last year with our 2008 Compass. Was sitting at stop light and the vehicle just stalled out. Jeep started right up and was fine the rest of the day. My wife drives it more then I do and she says it stutters quite frequently and often tries to stall out. Most recently, it stalled out dropping the kids off in the drop off line. This time it took 1-2 minutes to re start. No engine light, no warning, nothing. Took it to a Jeep dealership that day for them to take it a look at it. But of course like many consumers on here and other sites, they cannot find the issue. They drove my Jeep frequently for 2 days and still they cannot figure the problem. So like many others, we are stuck with a vehicle that has issues that do not show themselves. I have sent this issue to my local tv station to may be help investigate why there is no recall for this issue as its a safety concern. Clearly this is an issue as there are a lot of the same complaints. What will it take for someone to get hurt or die before they send out a recall? so we are forced to look into a new vehicle (not a Jeep Compass) because we don't feel safe driving this vehicle anymore. It should not be that way. Just figured I would share my experience along with others. Word of advice, believe the ratings for Jeep Compass and stay clear of purchasing them. -jb-

- Cordova, TN, USA

Jun 012015

I took my 2008 Jeep Compass in for service and the technicians found through rust in the engine cradle, control arms, and tie rods. I had to have these components replaced at a cost of $2900. This car is lightly used, stored in a garage and only has 115532 miles. This is clearly a manufacturer / design defect to have major structural components through on a car that is only 7 years old. I have photographs of the effected parts that I would be happy to submit as evidence.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 042015

I took my vehicle in for state inspection and a "creaking" type noise. It was found to have the K frame rusted through therefore failing state inspection. I was advised that this is the same body type (platform) used in the 2007 Dodge caliber and the same part number. The 2007 Dodge caliber was recalled due to this part failure which could cause the engine and other components to fall out of the car. It is obvious that Chrysler knows about the issue as they recalled the 2007 caliber but unless forced is not taking care of this problem in other vehicles made using the same platform and parts. When the car was under warranty only 2 years less than 25000 miles I had to have a tie rod replaced. I was also advised by the service manager that "these vehicles are known for this issue".

- Camillus, NY, USA