2001 Jeep Wrangler miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Jeep Wrangler:

2001 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Jul 282016

Wrangler

Takata recall my vehicle was in motion traveling about 50 mph when it lost control on a wet road. The car slid across the road, over a small ditch, and head on into a tree. The car bounced from the tree and swiped the drivers side with another tree and finally bouncing back towards the road. The road was slightly curved downhill in a small town. I attempted to use my brakes while out of control but they were ineffective. The weather conditions were thunderstorms on and off, raining in the area of the accident. I believe the airbag is the safety risk. The car hit the tree in the center of the grill which cracked the radiator, twisted the motor mounts, damaged the suspension, folded the frame and several other fractures. The airbag never deployed, both a body shop and the towing company said it should have deployed. The car is considered totaled. I was immediately taken to the emergency room. Injury's to the driver include broken ribs, sprained ankle, bruised muscles, and a cut on my forehead that required 5 stitches among a few more minor injury's. I also believe the tall steering wheel kept me from being ejected.

- Summerhill, PA, USA

Feb 262016

Wrangler

My 2001 Jeep is in real good shape visibly and no rust anywhere I can tell on the body or outside of the frame. However, when pulling the crossmember off that holds the transmission/transfer case to the frame, I noticed a massive amount of rust in the frame. It looks as if the frame came out of a 1920 model car or worse under there. I may attempt to have that section fixed, but I have noticed the boxed frame on the Jeep has no where for water to go once inside of it. My only option would be to make drainage holes for water and try to spray cosmoline or something inside the frame and just "hope" the rest of the frame is not rotting from the inside out. I would not even complain but a vehicle that is barely 15 years old already rusted out this bad on the frame must have been designed poorly or made with garbage steel and coated poorly. I am surprised people in the salty areas of the us have not had their crossmember simply fall off while driving. If you need a picture of the rust it is in my phone and can not access it from this pc.

- Coffeyville, KS, USA

Jan 012011

Wrangler

Frame is rusting due to lack of engineering and absence of drain holes in proper locations. Inside of frame is flaking off around control arm frame mounts front and back. Jeep is garage kept and taken care of. Water pools up and has no where to go so a hole has rust through passenger side front behind control arm mount. Lots of flaking off from inside of frame. Incredibly bad planning on manufacturer's part and now I have a potentially unsafe vehicle to drive without some major frame work to perform. Toyota trucks had a similar issue and they replaced the frame.

- St. Charles, IA, USA

Feb 262016

Wrangler

Frame is rusting from the inside out. There are spots in the frame where parts are now missing, creating holes and weakening the frame as a whole. There are no adequate drain holes in the frame, from the factory, to allow water to drain from the frame. This has happened over time.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Jul 122011

Wrangler

Frame rusted out and transmission was hanging under vehicle. Further inspection and the frame is rotted at rear suspension mounts. Checking on Wrangler forums and many people are having the same frame issues. I'd hate to see what would happen when one of the rear frame pieces lets go while someone is going down the highway.

- Meriden, CT, USA