2005 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Wrangler:

2005 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Nov 012016

Wrangler

Gas overflows and spills out of vehicle when fueling.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Oct 012016

Wrangler

When having to fill up on gas it is overflowing. Even if you set the control on the pump, when you pull out the nozzle, gas is spilling all over the Jeep, floor and has even has spilled all over myself. This full tank needs to be recalled for the safety of all consumers.

- Park City, IL, USA

Jun 012016

Wrangler

As the fuel tank is being filled with fuel and the fuel pump cuts off when the tank is full, the tank allows a significant amount of fuel to be "burped" out of the fuel filler onto the vehicle, ground, and the person filling the vehicle. This occurs every time the tank is filled at every fuel depot.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jun 012014

Wrangler

When filling fuel tank, fuel comes out without warning and spills all over the ground and the vehicle. When adjacent to a hot brake caliper, this could create a fire hazard. About a pint of fuel is spilled with every fill-up. If the operator tries to listen for the fuel to come up the filler to stop, there is a splash and eye hazard.

- Lexington, KY, USA

May 252011

Wrangler

Also fuel tank overflow shutoff valve does not work. When filling up gas tank, fuel overflows on car and person pumping gas every time the tank is filled. Multiple years of Jeep Wrangler were recalled, including many 05's for this same problem.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Nov 222015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Wrangler. While pumping fuel into the vehicle, fuel spewed out. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rollover check valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000. The VIN was unknown.

- Finleyville, PA, USA

Nov 012015

Wrangler

When filling fuel will not shut off causing fuel overflow, which shoots out of fuel filler hose.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jan 012016

Wrangler

When you fill the tank with gas, the pump doesn't shut off resulting in gas leaking onto the side of the vehicle as well as the ground. It looks like there have been multiple complaints about this problem from others that have this same vehicle. Image read it is a faulty design and faulty ivc.

- Madison, OH, USA

Apr 202015

Wrangler

Fuel spills/sprays out of filler when refueling. Pump shut-off does not engage correctly. This happens every time vehicle is refueled and results in excess fuel spillage on vehicle and ground.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 012015

Wrangler

Gas overflows when filling gas tank. When auto fill lever is engaged and tank is full gas burps and overflows spilling on ground

- Romansville, PA, USA

Oct 252015

Wrangler

Like all the other Jeep Wrangler mine cannot fill up with gas without the gas overflowing out of the filler neck. This causes pollution, damages the finish of the car as well as a major safety issue. Please make them recall this gas issue as the flapper in the line gets stuck open. At least that is what all the forums seem to say. If you want to see what it looks like just go to youtube --> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Jeep+Wrangler+gas+overflow or put in any other similar search. The majority of the Jeep on the road have this issue.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Sep 242015

Wrangler

When refueling the pump does not shut off before gas spills out of the fuel inlet.

- Wellington, FL, USA

May 072010

Wrangler

When fueling vehicle tank overflows leaving gasoline on side of vehicle, on self (hands, clothing, shoes, etc.). not only is this uneconomical, but unsafe, unhealthy, and environmentally unsound. I originally brought my vehicle in for repair in may of 2010, the dealer claimed the evaporation canister was clogged so they replaced the canister and filter for almost $300. Four months later, in October of 2010, I was having the exact same problem and returned to the dealer. They then claimed the roll over valve was stuck in the open position and I now needed a new fuel tank for almost $800. I declined and was charged $100 for their trouble. I now don't ever fill the tank completely. I have found numerous complaints about this problem online in different forums and now here on this website. I do believe Jeep needs to be held responsible for this obviously ongoing problem.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 282015

Wrangler

When filling the vehicle with gas it does not automatically stop filling when the tank is full, which results in gas squirting out of the filler. This happens every time I get gas. Getting gas on myself, my clothes, my shoes and down the side of my vehicle is not on my to do list. Jeep/Chrysler should issue a recall or notice to fix this issue. This issue is a fire hazard and is not safe for whomever is pumping gas.

- Hawthorne, FL, USA

Jul 272015

Wrangler

Everytime, while filling my tank fuel will spill out as the auto shut off engages on the pump. Fuel will spill out onto the ground, my clothes, my hands and the side of my Jeep. I am not attempting to top off my tank when the issue occurs, it happens every time I fill my tank however I hold the handle when the auto shut off engages.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jul 112014

Wrangler

When filling up the fuel tank the back flow preventer does not work and up to a cup of gasoline will spill out of the nozzle leaving a flammable mess that needs to be cleaned.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Apr 242013

Wrangler

Regarding my 2005 Jeep Wrangler, this has been an ongoing issue for the past two years or more. Fuel system/tank overflows when attempting to fill the tank. Instead of stopping, gas spews from the fill valve onto the vehicle, ground, and person filling the tank. This is not only unsafe and uneconomical, but bad for the environment and ones health.

- Watervliet, NY, USA

May 012009

Wrangler

Unless I stop fueling prior to a complete fill up, gas will spill out. I have mentioned this to a couple different Jeep service advisors at my local dealerships they are not aware of what is causing it. This can be extremely dangerous and needs to be addressed by Chrysler.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Nov 012010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Fuel dumps out of filler hose when close to filled up, has been happening since I first filled, now almost 5 years have still seen no solution unless I have do myself.

- Catskill, NY, USA

Jan 012006

Wrangler

When fueling vehicle, fuel will splash out of the fill tube before filler nozzle shuts off. This happens every time I fuel and at different gas stations. I estimate my total fuel spilled over the past decade to be in the area of 300 gallons.

- Desoto, KS, USA