2006 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Wrangler:

2006 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jun 112012

Wrangler 6-cyl

When my 06 Jeep Wrangler hits a road bump at approx 50 mph at times violent shaking occurs and last until I slow to about 30mph. The Jeep is nearly uncontrollable.

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

May 212009

Wrangler 6-cyl

The car experienced violent front end wobble when going over uneven pavement, more severe when brakes were applied. The dealer said that the brake rotors were warped and replaced them (there was only approx. 11,000 miles on the car at that time, which I had bought new). The problem recurred off and on, but to a lesser degree. The problem recurred in the summer of 2009, with less than 20,000 miles driven. I had the front stabilizer bar replaced on 9-3-11. The problem continues to occur sometimes to a lesser degree and sometimes to a greater degree depending on vehicle speed. When the wobble is severe, control of the Jeep is difficult, with one instance of going off of the road until I slowed down to approximately 30 mph and regained control.

- Somerset, PA, USA

Jul 052011

We own a 2006 Jeep Wrangler X with around 60,000 miles on it. It started a terrible wobble in the front end that is called "death wobble" I have done multiple repairs and replacements of parts to no avail. I called the local Chrysler dealership for advice their answer was to replace the steering stabilizer. I stated that this had already been done their response was " I don't know what to tell you then." This problem occurs at 50 miles per hour and when it begins the vehicle must come to complete stop to end the wobble. The Jeep has been in the shop multiple times for this problem and no fix has been found. I have rotated the tires twice and that works for about a week and the problem returns. The tires have been rebalanced twice also. I have replaced all the shocks, the steering stabilizer, and it has been realigned two times. This is a major problem for many people as can be seen if "death wobble" is searched on google. There is no known repair for this problem and Chrysler continues to ignore it.

- Hardy, VA, USA

Nov 172010

My 2006 Jeep Wrangler shakes so bad it is scary. At 45-65 mph and for no reason start shaking violently. I spent $1600 on new parts. New shocks, new rims, new steering damper, new tracking bar. New camber, new bushing, new control arms. Nothing works. I must pull off the highway to make it stop. This Jeep is dangerous!!!!

- Sac, CA, USA

Aug 022010

Wrangler 6-cyl

I want to report an issue with my Jeep Wrangler 2006. I bought this car from Jeep in annapolis Maryland Jeep 2006 with 9,343 miles on it. Two months later it began shaking uncontrollably at 50-55 mph. Only at this speed. This is very scary when it happens and have almost gone off the road. The only way to stop it is to accelerate to higher speed or to slow down. I took it back to the dealer where I purchased the vehicle and they did a an alignment. The shaking stopped and 1 month later it started again. A year later, of just putting up with this I bring the Jeep back to the dealer. They tell me that the cause is from worn tie rods and steering damper worn. If this is the cause of the shake then they should have told me this a year ago. I think the worn parts are a result from the shake. Not the cause. Either way, the Jeep now has 26,000 miles and I'm already being told to put 2000 dollars into it for worn parts. These parts are wearing prematurely because of the shake but no one can determine the cause. If I had bought the car new, I could have used the lemon law but unfortunately, I bought it with low mileage used. This is a very dangerous situation and wondering if it will take a death for someone to recall these like the problem with Toyota accelerator. Its very frustration, and the average person does not have the time or money to fight something like this. I have seen so many people with the same complaints on the internet. Something should be done.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Jan 012011

2006 Jeep Wrangler. Not lifted. Severe "death wobble" between approx. 40-50 mph. This issue is prevalent and dangerous enough to warrant recall. Jeep should fix this design issue immediately before loss of life occurs. The NHTSA must force the issue immediately, as Jeep has known about the design flaw since approximately 1997. Why has this not been addressed/resolved?

- Orange, CA, USA

May 162010

Traveling at 55 mph hit a slight bump on the road and the front end started wobble from side to side. The steering wheel shook side to side very quickly. The only way to get this to stop was to slow down to a speed of approximately 40 mph.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Jul 012007

The dw's, a defect Jeep refuses to address. Tell me where Jeep has publicly addressed this wide and well known problem for their consumers. Enough with the band-aids!! because I did not bring my Jeep in for a 30,000 ml check up (eventhough I was only at 28,000) my dealer told me my warranty would be null and void. Although, I had no idea what the engine had to do with the steering, I was unable to get him to discuss the problem any further. "rotate your tires for you, that's all I can do" was what I was told. So, after throwing money at my Jeep to try and fix it this way or that way (btw my Jeep is entirely stock) the only thing I've found to rid the problem is to replace my tires every 25,000 ml or so and rotate every 5,000 ml. So, if you don't mind buying new tires every two years or so, problem solved. If this a problem Jeep is telling you that you can pretty much suck it!

- Alta Loma, CA, USA

Jun 252009

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Wrangler unlimited. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 to 50 mph he noticed that there was a violent shake in the front end of the vehicle. The shaking became so excessive that it caused the vehicle to move into the next lane due to the driver not being able to control it. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer who advised him that the shaking may have been caused by the tires. The vehicle was taken to a tire dealer who replaced the tires and performed an alignment. Within 10,000 miles of having the alignment done and the tires changed the vehicle began to shake. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 15,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Beloit, WI, USA

Mar 092011

2006 Jeep Wrangler and the death wobble. Jeep has know about this condition for some time now and since my warranty is up and they could not find the problem before it was up, I am now stuck with it or pay alot of money for a issue that should have been addressed years ago by Jeep. Every time I hit a small bump in the road at 60mph the Jeep goes out of control and shakes the vehicle until you can come to a complete stop in the road and then its fine. All you have to do is google Jeep and death wobble and you will see how many complaints are out there.

- Hartford City, IN, USA

Sep 032010

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 45 mph over a bump in the road he felt vibrations in the steering wheel and the vehicle began to shake uncontrollably. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop where the tires were balanced and rotated. The failure continued to occur whenever he drove approximately 45 mph over a bump. The failure and current mileages were 20,000.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Oct 012009

2006 Jeep Wrangler shimming.. Jeep advised me a year ago after replacing it the factory was crappy(right out of service managers mouth) so they replaced with rancho... nut it is doing it 4 months later... after all this and coming too halt on interstate 4 times and pulling too side of road.. this is getting too the point someone is going to get killed... it serious and if it takes that someone to get killed before something is done (that will be a life lost because no action taken on this matter...

- Kingsport , TN, USA

Oct 152006

Wrangler 4WD 4-cyl

Front end shakes and shimmies since I got it in Sept 06, taken to see why, and of course I been told it is this that or the other, and the problem has not been resolved, I have replaced tires, brake and calipers, shocks, stabilizer shocks, have had the front end lined due to the shaking and shimmy, if there was a recall on this vehicle I was never notified on this matter. The vehicle in question 2006 Jeep Wrangler.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Sep 202010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

For me, this problem has not resulted in a crash or injury. However it could lead to the above if not resolved by the manufacture. Problem is, when driving my 2006 Jeep Wrangler and a bump is encountered, such as a pot hole, a man hole cover, expansion joints etc. The front wheels go in to a very severe left to right oscillation. To recover from this one must come to almost a complete stop. A little hard to do at 60mph in the middle of the freeway. Chrysler says that the fix is a new steering damper, at the owner's expense. This is a known issue among the Jeep community, called "the death wobble".I believe this is too much of a safety issue for the manufacture to resolve at their expense via a recall. Someone is going to get killed.

- Aurora , CO, USA

Jul 202010

Car has a bad clunking noise in the steering box. Only has 15000 on the vehicle, many other people I have talked to on have the same issue. When turning the wheel from side to side you hear a constant clunking noise from the front end, always being traced back to the steering box. All front end components are in perfect shape, as told by a mechanic.

- Williamstown, MA, USA

Sep 152010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Driving a 2006 Jeep Wrangler unlimited at speeds from 45-55 mph causes death wobble where the vehicle shakes violently and steering is unable to be controlled. Nothing has been done to correct; yet, if you google the problem it is serious and rampant. Happens every time that speeds reach 45-55 mph. Updated IVOQ 10/22/10

- Oak Hill, VA, USA

Aug 312010

I bought a used 2006 Jeep Wrangler unlimited. I have taken this car to the dealership for service four times for excessive shaking when driving at speeds around 50 mph. The entire vehicle shakes until I either speed up or slow down. There is no way to control the Jeep while it is shaking! I have had all the "possible causes" checked, replaced or balanced including: Tires, front end alignment, shocks, stabilizer, brakes, rotors (twice). The shaking may go away for a short time but then returns. (this Wrangler was not included in the brake recall earlier this year.)

- Troy, MI, USA

Aug 142010

2006 Jeep Wrangler -- bought used with less than 30K miles on it. Wobble at about 55mph, intermittently. Mine was solved by replacing the stabilizer bar, had nothing to do with tires, although the first time it happened, I thought I had blown a tire. Gas tank filling -- same problem, the pump doesn't shut off unless you pump the gas slowly. First few times, spewed gas all over the Jeep, myself and the pavement. Now I listen as the tank fills and slow the fill as I know it's starting towards full. With the slowing, the pump does shut off but it's a good idea to have some idea how much gas the tank will take at certain fuel readings.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jan 302010

2006 Jeep Wrangler sport brake rotors: Warped at 6K miles, turned by dealer, 8K miles, rotors replaced, 15K rotors turned by independent shop, 20K rotors replaced - and diagnostics shop found that the proportional valve was not set properly, leaving front brakes to do 75 percent of stopping, causing excessive heat/warp. This problem caused violent shaking of Jeep during slow down - I nearly lost control on many occasions - very very dangerous. Now I'm having trouble with the death wobble - steering is dangerous at 52 mph loss of control. This vehicle has 25,700 miles on it. Don't buy Jeep, don't buy dangerous.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Jul 192010

Severe vibration in front wheels/steering at 55 mph. Ceases as speed is increased past 60 mph or decreased.. tire balance and alignment have no effect. Vehicle is totally stock and has aprox. 26,000 miles. Internet research indicates that this is a common problem. Vibration is severe enough to almost cause loss of control. This has been an ongoing problem for the last year.

- Amherst, OH, USA