2007 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler:

2007 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Jan 112012

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle began to wobble uncontrollably. The condition was referred to as the death wobble. The vehicle was taken to an independent for diagnosis and the tires were balanced and the vehicle was realigned. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was 65,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Norman, OK, USA

Jul 012012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph or higher and when going over a bump, the front end of the vehicle would shake violently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the contact was informed that replacing the axle housing and the front wheel bearings may remedy the shaking. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 35,000. The current mileage was approximately 45,000... updated 02-07-13 updated 02/13/2013

- Malakoff, TX, USA

Dec 272012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Front end shakes violently, feels like a flat tire or a loose wheel. Stopped & checked tires, found nothing wrong. Got back in vehicle and drove. This has happen at least 2 other times. I believe it is called a death wobble. Was pretty scary.

- Mohnton, PA, USA

Dec 192011

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, he drove over a road bump, causing the steering wheel to become uncontrollable. He contact stopped the vehicle in order to regain control. The contact stated that the failure, which was considered a "death wobble", was a common failure for the year, make and model. The vehicle was taken to several independent mechanics for diagnosis but no failure was determined. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage 52,000 and the current mileage was 62,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 012012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Uncontrollable wobble in front end on highway causing vehicle to be unsafe (referred to as the death wobble)

- Belmont, MA, USA

Nov 172012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Experienced Jeep Wrangler's death wobble...my vehicle shook so bad I almost lost control of the Wrangler's I had to apply my brakes at speeds of 55 mph est. While on interstate 80 in New Jersey almost causing a multiply vehicles crash. Just left dealership and they were unable to verify my concerns.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Nov 012012

Wrangler

I was traveling on the freeway yesterday afternoon 11/1/12 driving at 60 mph. While driving out of no where the Jeep's front end started shaking out of control. It felt like the front end was about to fall off.. I could not control the Jeep at this point so I stepped on my brakes and slowed the vehicle to about 20 mph before the shaking stopped. Today I took it in to a local alignment shop so they can diagnose it and they told me that the whole front steering assembly is about shot! they specifically said that the most wear was on the tie rods and front track bar in which will cause the geometry of the steering to be thrown off. They called it the "death wobble" and that it was common in these Jeep. I truly think that Jeep needs to open a recall for these parts ( front track bar/ tie rod assembly) before some one is killed! I do not want to think about what would of happened if I didn't gain control of the vehicle yesterday. I could of caused a pile up and killed someone if not myself on I5.. thank god my kids were not with me and no accident occured. Please assist in this complaint as there has been hundreds of complaints about this very same problem all over the web yet nothing has been addressed with Chrysler. Thank you. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6)

- University Place, WA, USA

Feb 242010

Wrangler 6-cyl

My Jeep has the death wobble, has now for years. As advised ihave replaced tires and had an allignment, fixed it for a while, now its back, replaced tires and allignment also balanced and now replacing the steering damper. There are complaints about this all over the internet. Every mechanic I called had heard of it or experienced it. There have been news pieces done about it and now Chrysler has issued a technical bulletin blaming it on everyone else but their poor design. They should E held accountable. I have not lifted my Jeep and nothing besides tires and now this steering damper has been replaced - so all stock. They need to be forced to get to the root of this and reimburse people for the repairs and labor time it takes to try to figure out how to fix this. It may not in and of itself be a safety issue but the only way to stop it once it starts is to stop completely and that is extremely dangerous at 65 miles an hour on the highway. Besides the fact that it has to cause damage to the other parts of the car because of the violent shaking and that could be dangerous in and of itself depending on what is damaged. It is ridiculous that Chrysler has not been held accountable for this yet by someone with the authority to force them to fix it.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Oct 282012

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving at approx 40 mph, Jeep struck a small (very shallow) pothole. Front end of Jeep began to shake violently. This has happened on two other occassions in the last month, all between 40 and 50 mph. Each time the Jeep hit a bump in the road. Jeep is stock, no lifts, no off road use, original factory tires: Goodyear Wrangler P255/75R17, properly inlfated to factory specs, low mileage 27394. The wobble doesn't stop until the vehicle is slowed drastically, steering is difficult while the wobble is occuring. Is this a recall item" manufacture reimbursement" any information regarding this issue would be appreciated.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Oct 112012

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph the front of the vehicle started shaking violently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,900.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Oct 012012

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have been experiencing the "death wobble" on my 2007 Jeep Wrangler sahara for the past year now. When it first started I replaced the tires and it appeared to correct the problem for 8-9 months. Then the problem re-appeared so I had the tires rotated. Corrected the problem for approximately 5000 miles. Just this morning while driving into work my Jeep started to shake violently starting at 50 mph. In the past, my Jeep will experience the death wobble between 50-60 mph. I need to slow down to around 20 mph for the wobble to stop. This is not safe! especially driving in rush hour and I need to constantly slow down to speeds below the minimum speed limit requirement in my state. All parts on my Jeep are stock / straight from the assembly line (except for the new tires, air filter, oil, and wiper blades). I can be the only driver to this vehicle as other drivers in my family refuse to drive because of the death wobble. I haven't brought it into a Jeep dealer yet (although after reading threads on the internet it appears Jeep denies it to be an issue). This is not safe and this is my primary vehicle. It is happening to many Jeep owners and if Jeep wants to keep its business they should start addressing the issue...

- Wyoming, MN, USA

Sep 062012

Wrangler 6-cyl

At highway speed my steering wheel and front end began to shake violently. This occurred when hitting a small joint in the pavement. The only way to stop the shaking was to slow down from 60 to approximately 30 miles per hour on the interstate.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 172012

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the front end of the vehicle would violently shake whenever driven over bumps. The dealer was notified and stated that the vehicle needed to be brought in for a diagnosis and repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Jul 112012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Was driving down the road about 45 mph, hit a bump and the vehicle began to shake so violently that I was convinced a wheel was about to fall off. I immediately stopped on the side of the road to inspect the vehicle but could find nothing wrong. In researching the problem online I found out that is a common occurrence known as a "death wobble." I was lucky in that I was driving on a rarely traveled back road when the incident occurred, had this happened on a major highway I could see this as a very dangerous situation.

- Salisbury, MD, USA

Nov 062010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Death wobble - I can drive the Jeep down the highway and once it hits above 45 miles an hour it will start to shake extensively. I have to start putting on the break immediately to stop the Jeep from shaking and regain control of the vehicle. With the speed limits on the highways 60 - 75 miles an hour the vehicle problem makes it impossible for me to take many highways. This Jeep is my only means of transportation to and from work and transporting my children. I have avoided over 5 near miss accidents because of this problem with my children in the vehicle. It has almost cost me my job because of having to avoid traveling in the Jeep.

- Talala, OK, USA

Jun 092012

Wrangler 6-cyl

As I was driving through the entrance to the baltimore harbor tunnel, I hit a bump and the steering wheel began to shake violently on my Jeep Wrangler. In addition, the front end of the vehicle vibrated and shook violently. I had no place to stop, a bus was behind me, and I had trouble keeping my Jeep in one lane. Since there was no place to pull over, I slowed down and when I reached a speed between 15 to 20 miles per hour, the shaking stopped and I was able to continue on. During my trip that day, I had three more episodes of violent shaking as I hit bumps in the road when I was traveling between 50 and 60 miles per hour. I had recently read an article about this problem and this issue appears to be a common problem for Jeep Wrangler, although I had never experienced the problem before. My Jeep is a 2007 4-door Wrangler which only has 10,400 miles on it because I usually keep it garaged at a beach home in Delaware and I use it only during summer weekends. The Jeep is a stock model with no after market modifications. I had driven it home to Maryland to have a dealer checkup before I returned the Jeep to the beach. The problem happened on my third trip after the dealer service but it was my first trip driving on a highway. My daughter was in the car with me and she and I were extremely disturbed and consider this issue a major safety issue. Since my research indicates this is a widespread problem, I feel strongly the ntsb should take the appropriate action to have Chrysler address this issue before there is a fatality. I am extremely thankful that the bus behind me in the baltimore harbor tunnel had good brakes.

- Arnold, MD, USA

May 282012

Wrangler

While driving down the road at about 40-45mph my right front tire hit a bump. When that happened the entire front end began to vibrate violently. The only thing that cured the issue was to brake the vehicle. Once it got down to about 15mph it finally stopped and I was able to continue. This has been an ongoing issue with this Jeep. This has happened before and the dealership replaced tie rods and a steering dampener but it's never gone away completely.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 112010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact stated owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that whenever the vehicle was driven over 55 mph and over a road bump, the front of the vehicle and the steering wheel would shake abnormally. The contact would have to decelerate to 45 mph or less in order to stop the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was told that a remedy was not available for the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000 and the current mileage was 81,000.....updated 06/18/12 the consumer stated he experienced a well known failure known as the "death wobble". the entire front end of the vehicle would shake uncontrollably. The shaking was so extreme, the consumer would lose the ability to fully control the vehicle and would be force to slow down in the middle of the highway. Updated 06/21/12

- Rockford, IL, USA

Feb 162012

Wrangler

This Jeep is a death trap and a money trap. My first incident occurred Feb 16th, 2011 and cost $600. Needed a new steering dampner which they replaced. Two months later same thing happens and they replace the same piece with the newer steering dampner. Two days ago the same thing happens again and now I need to spend more money to fix the same problem. Researched the issue and it's called "death wobble" had I known this existed I would never have bought this car, I feel so unsafe in this car. I will never buy another Jeep and will tell everyone I know to not buy one. These cars should be recalled and fixed for free, and this company should be sued for making cars that are this unsafe.

- Waltham, MA, USA

Feb 102012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When the vehicle reaches approximately 50 mph, the vehicle begins shake. The dealership replaced the drivers side hub on the front axle which wasn't covered under the warranty. I had it aligned & the wheels balanced, which helped a little, but it was still shaking. Two months later I took it back to the dealership & they're replacing all the ball joints and the passenger side hub on the front axle. I had already replaced the upper ball joints previously.

- Charleston, AR, USA