2008 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Mar 212013

Wrangler 6-cyl

At approximately 51 mph and after passing over a rough spot on the highway surface the vehicle started to extremely vibrate and shimmy. Maintaining control was difficult and necessitated an immediate reduction in speed. On an approximate 50 mile trip this was repeated four times while on an interstate. This was much more violent than a blow out, tire separation, or an unbalanced tire. This malady could easily result in a fatality. I've logged approximately 2million miles driving and I must add this situation is very serious.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Mar 072013

Hit a small bump, left tire shook uncontrollably, losing control, over curb, hit post, damaging front end and hitting passengers head on windshield

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Oct 272012

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was coming off the freeway onto an exit and the Jeep started shaking really bad, almost to the point that I couldn't control it. I pulled to the side of the road and my boys thought it was a flat tire (or two) so they got out and looked. No flat. We were almost to our destination so once I settled down, went the rest of the way with no problem. I have not had that happen again since then but it is very scary and with one or both of my kids in the car at all times, I don't want anything to happen. What is it and how can it be fixed? the dealer has no idea and look at me like I have lost it.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 062013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

2008 Jeep Wrangler. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle "death wobble" and consumer also seeks reimbursement. The consumer stated the incident happened on a back road. There was a minute where the car was completely out of control. The consumer stated he was driving 45 mph and had not gone over any bumps. The consumer immediately took the vehicle to the dealer, where they replaced a leaking steering damper.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Jan 162013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler sahara unlimited with 50,000 miles and purchased new. I have been experiencing "death wobble" or an uncontrollable shaking in the front end of my vehicle intermittently but generally at speeds of 40 mph and higher. I took the vehicle to my mechanic who inspected the front end, tires, brakes and alignment which all were fine. I later went to the Jeep dealership service center who said I had "death wobble" but could not give me a definitive cause or cost to repair. After researching this on-line, I discovered that this is a wide spread problem that Jeep has known about for years www.jeepz.com/forum/suspension/29510-Wrangler-death-wobble-what-causes-how-fix.html. my vehicle is completely stock with no modifications and I do not use it off-road. Additionally it is very well maintained and I have had no accidents or major repairs. Here is a video of my experience: www.youtube.com/watch"V=7pen1it91Z0 I have read that congress addressed this with Jeep and Jeep has issued a technical bulletin editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=bb1D0352-F579-4468-B24F-60869E95D02F but that is all. Please advise as to what I can do to address this issue. I live in nys. Does the "lemon-law" apply here"

- Kings Park, NY, USA

Feb 112013

Wrangler 6-cyl

On approximately 01/21/13 at about 8:00am, while traveling on the 405 freeway at about 50mph, my Jeep got the "death wobbles". it was found the entire front housing snapped off. It was fixed and returned to me. On 02/11/13 at about 10:30am, I was merging on to the I-5 N/B from sand canyon in irvine. When I reached 45mph, I got the "death wobbles" again. This time, the dealer said it was because I had cheap tires on the vehicle. I have nitto tires which are about $250 each. I have looked into the death wobbles and it appears Jeep has a real problem. The vehicle shakes so violently you feel like you are losing control. Someone is going to get killed and Jeep knows it. I have had my vehicle in twice now for the same thing. Once more and I am going lemon law. If they give it back and my family is injured as a result of a known flaw. Stand by! this is crap. You cannot knowingly sell a defective vehicle can you? seems like it would be criminal to defraud or fail to disclose this death wobble issue to buyers. I did not know anything about this until it happened to me.

- Orange, CA, USA

Oct 112010

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the vehicle started shaking while driving 45 mph. The shaking would not stop until the contact decelerated to 30 mph or lower. In addition, the brakes would become hesitant and the front wheels would wobble abnormally during the failure. The contact stated that the vehicle was being used as a postal delivery vehicle and the steering wheel was located on the passenger's side of the vehicle. The contact stated that the tires were replaced and an alignment was performed four times in an attempt to correct the failure but to no avail. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 120,000.

- Whichita Falls, TX, USA

Oct 132009

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler unlimited X. the contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph over a road bump, the vehicle began to shake violently without any warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised that the bracket and steering stabilizer needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on several occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000 and the current mileage was 91,000.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Oct 012012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Vehicle began violently shaking on the interstate. It now shakes at any speeds greater than 40 mph and any bumps in the road or turns also set it off. The vehicle was unable to be turned or moved off the road during the shaking and the shaking only stops once the vehicle slows down to under 10 mph.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Dec 032012

The horn no longer works and per the dealer, it is the clockspring. This cost about $500 to replace. The same make and model of the previous year had a recall but they have not recalled the 08 which apparently has the same problem.

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA

Jan 012012

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph or less and going over a bump the vehicle would shake violently in the front end. The vehicle has not been inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised him that there was no test for the failure and they would just have to replace the stabilizer. The failure mileage was approximately 29,000. The current mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Destink, FL, USA

Oct 182012

Wrangler 6-cyl

On the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Oct 012010

Wrangler 6-cyl

I am the original owner of a 2008 Jeep Wrangler that has had 5 separate "death wobble" events in the last 5 years. Now that the vehicle is out of warranty Jeep wants me to pay for repairs that they have to this point proven they do not have a proper understanding of and solution for the Jeep death wobble. Please help. My family and I are afraid to drive in this truck in this condition.

- West Hempstead, NY, USA

Oct 092012

During a routine maintenance service, the dealer noticed a large amount of "play" in the steering wheel of our 2008 Jeep Wrangler sahara 2-door. It measured greater than the allowable movement. After reading about the effects of "death wobble" it was decided that this could be the early signs of this problem. With the numerous documented cases of this issue, we asked the dealer to contact Chrysler to cover the $600+ repair/upgrade that was suggested(including an upgraded steering damper, upgraded tie rod, and wheel alignment). The vehicle is completely stock, well maintained, has 35,000 miles, and has never been off-road. The dealer agreed that there was a problem with the factory parts and it shouldn't be our responsibility to cover the cost of the upgrade. They dropped the price down to $100 and it is now being repaired. The vehicle should be ready tomorrow, so we will find out if these new parts will prevent the "death wobble" issue.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Oct 032012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Driving down paved road and front end started to shake violently. Had to pull over and stop for it to stop. Had same problem in March 2011 and took to dealer for repair which only lasted about 4000 mile and 19 months.

- Concho, AZ, USA

Sep 012012

While driving at highway speeds, when a pothole or bump is hit by the vehicle, the tires begin to wobble out of control. This causes the steering to fail and violently shake the steering wheel. While coming off or on highway ramps the wobble causes the vehicle to veer off the road.

- Virginia Beach , VA, USA

Sep 172012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Air bag light came on during driving. Took it to the dealer where they told me the clock spring needed to be replaced for $525. After researching the issue I discovered that Jeep has recalled the right hand drive clock springs for 2007-2012 but not on the left hand drive Jeep. They are the same part and a recall should be issued across the fleet. This is a safety issue as it can cause the air bag to deploy on its own, or not deploy in an accident.

- Providence , RI, USA

Sep 152012

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated while driving 50 mph the front end would shimmer and shake violently. The failure also occurred whenever he drove over a bump in the road or it was uneven. The vehicle was taken to the dealer about three years ago for the same failure and the steering damper was replaced. The failure recurred; however, the vehicle was not taken to the dealer. There were no warning lights when the failure occurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 32,169.

- Salt Lake City , UT, USA

Jun 302012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Hit bumps in the road and the front end starting shaking very badly. Had to come to a stop for the shaking to stop. The famous Jeep death wobble. At the dealership they acted like they never heard of the problem before. After seeing these complaints I realize its a common problem and Jeep should of fixed it. It cost me $400 to fix it. Also since I purchased this vehicle I complained to the dealership that the transmission shifts funny. They keep telling me there is no fix for this and it is a common problem with this transmission.

- Southampton, PA, USA

Aug 192012

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the steering wheel seized and the contact started losing control of the vehicle. The vehicle was shut off and restarted after several minutes, in which the power steering assist was reset. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where they stated to the contact that they had to replace the steering damper. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that there were no recalls under the issue. The failure mileage was 38,975 and the current mileage was 38,998.

- Fort Mitchell , KY, USA