2008 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Jul 012010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Having problem with "death wobble". while traveling at a high rate of speed, over 40mph. A violent shaking has occurred a multiple number of times. Feels as though the entire front end of vehicle is ready to fly off. Control of vehicle is compromised. Especially at such a high rate of speed, which usually occurs on the freeway with other vehicles around. Dealership says that the steering stabilizer needs to be replaced. Research on the internet says that this just masks the problem. Personally looking at the steering components of the vehicle. I cannot see how a worn out steering stabilizer can cause so much chaos.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jul 202012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Death wobble, terrible steering shimmer. Driving on highway at 55 mph. Hit one bump on the road and all of a sudden the vehicle started shaking violently. I needed to slam on the breaks to keep the vehicle from maybe flipping over. It has happened before, but not this violent. To fix this I installed a dual steering stabilizer set up made by skyjacker.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 132012

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the wheel began to shake after driving over a road bump or when making a turn in either direction. The vehicle would become hard to control when the failure occurred. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing however, the dealer was notified of the issue. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and opened a case for the contact (case number: 22425937). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 38,000 and the current mileage was 39,000.

- Middletown, RI, USA

Jul 052012

Wrangler 6-cyl

On the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on with a chime. This has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring could cause airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment without warning. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying.

- Cave Creek, AZ, USA

Feb 062012

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X. the contact was driving 50 mph when the wheels started to shake and the vehicle failed to steer properly. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic. The mechanic confirmed the steering stabilizer needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 27,000 and the current mileage was 28,600.

- Sound Beach, NY, USA

Apr 262012

Wrangler

The car experienced the so-called "Jeep death wobble." At about 65 mph on the freeway, the front end of the car began to shake so violently and uncontrollably that I had no choice but to slow to a stop in the emergency lane. After attempting to drive at highway speed again several minutes later, the wobble occurred a second time, forcing me to pull over once more. Had I let go of the steering wheel during the incident, the car would surely have swerved and possibly spun out.

- Corona, CA, USA

Nov 012011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Airbag warning light in instrument panel consistently goes off during irregular speed, steering wheel operation, and temperature. There is no pattern that correlates with the timing of the airbag warning light. When it first started, it would only come during at brief moments and turn off again. Now, April, it turns off after vehicle start (like normal operation), comes back on immediately, and only briefly does it turn off at random times. The majority of the time the warning light fluctuates is during steering wheel turning. Turning to one particular side does not alter the light more than the other. Sometimes hard bumps in the road or off-road scenarios will change the light too. Knowing very well this could be the clockspring, no other lights or functions involved with this device confirm this is the problem. The horn works at all turning angles, esp and ABS all function normally. There are also no dtc codes from the computer. All visible electrical plugs in the cabin and behind dash have been unplugged, cleaned from debris and reconnected. I find the current recall for only the 2007S and right hand drive 2008S very frustrating! the assumption that only rhds will have their windows down more on dirt roads might be factual; however, there are numerous of 2008 Jeep Wrangler owners that use their vehicle for work, or off-road scenarios that will easily bypass the RHD assumption. This is a very scary problem to have. I do no feel safe that any accident I have the airbags will deploy properly. The faith of my vehicle saving my life is completely lost.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Mar 302012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Driving on the highway at approximately 65 miles per hour my front end began to shake and the steering became so erratic that I had to grip the steering wheel to keep the car from veering into another lane of traffic. I was able to slow the car down and pull over to the side of the road. Once I began again there was no vibration. This is the second time this has happened within two month. There are many cases of this happening on the internet. It's called the "death wobble" and I don't feel safe in the car anymore. The dealership has told me that its a worn sway bar but 25K miles shouldn't wear out this type of part.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Known to many who have Jeep, the "death wobble". when this first happened to my daughter's car, thankfully I was the one driving. It was on the interstate and I thought a tire had blown. The steering wheel vibrated uncontrollably and I pulled over. Nothing looked wrong but I called a tow truck regardless. They looked at it at the station and could not find anything wrong. I had no idea this was a problem Jeep created when they built the vehicle. It is a situation where the front axle begins oscillating with such violence that control of the Jeep is difficult until slowed down, and the entire vehicle shakes to the point you feel it will come apart.

- Colchester, VT, USA

Oct 162011

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler limited. The contact was driving 55 mph when the vehicle began to shake abnormally. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was confirmed that the steering dampener needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 242012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Airbag light stays lit constantly. Horn does not work. Esp\bas light on dash stays lit constantly. Dealer diagnosed the issue as a faulty clockspring.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Aug 242011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Front wheels and steering began to shake and vibrate violently while making a right-hand turn from a stop and after accelerating to about 40 mph. Vibration stopped after braking to almost a stop. Same symptoms occurred twice more after hitting small bumps in road at between 50 and 60 mph and again stopped after braking. Dealer said they duplicated the condition and replaced steering dampener at 35726 miles but vibration has occurred once more since repair. I have owned the Jeep since new and it is completely stock with no modifications and original P255-75-R17 tires which were at proper inflation. Tires have also been checked and do not have any damage or abnormal wear.

- Cedar Creek, TX, USA

Feb 012012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

2008 Jeep Wrangler. Consumer writes in regards to mechanical problems and brake line routing defect the consumer stated the first problem he had with the vehicle was the transmission. It began failing to engage and shifting out of gear. The dealer discovered that the transmission oil filter had not been installed and was lying on the bottom of the transmission oil pan. In January 2011, while driving at highway speeds, the consumer began to experience intermittent violent shaking of the entire vehicle, which seemed to be originating from the front end. The consumer stated it felt as though a wheel was loose. The consumer went to a repair shop, where the tie rod and pitman were replaced. Two weeks later, the shaking occurred again and soon it became increasingly violent, making it nearly impossible to control the vehicle and stay in his lane. The consumer returned to the repair shop where they replaced the steering damper, which seemed to correct the problem for awhile. In July, the consumer took the vehicle for a routine maintenance check. While checking the front end, the mechanic was able to get two full turns on a nut on the track bar. Since then, the shaking has not occurred. The consumer stated as he approached a line of vehicles stopped at a light, he attempted to apply the brake, but it went soft and to the floor. An inspection revealed a hole in the brake line above the right front wheel, where the line left the wheel well and went into the engine compartment. The hole was caused by rubbing on the line by the edge of the plastic wheel well lining.

- Missoula, MT, USA

May 012011

Wrangler

When my Jeep hits a bump on the highway (left tire first) the entire Jeep starts shaking violently. It feels like the tires are about to fall off. This happens whenever I go over 50mph (which could be extremely dangerous on the highway with other cars). It doesn't stop until I come to a complete stop. I have found hundreds of posting about this issue and every single one says that Chrysler says nothing is wrong. If most Jeep built after 2007 have this issue, maybe it's a manufacturer defect?

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Apr 122011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Once my vehicle reaches a speed of 50 mph, goes over a bump, or around some turns, it starts to shake uncontrollably. This shaking does not subside until I stop the vehicle. It has gotten worse and worse to the point where it happens about every 2 miles if I am going 50 mph. I can not go above 50 mph which is quite dangerous on the freeway because the speed limits here are 65-70 mph. When I go over a bump and it starts to happen, if there is no place to pull over (which has happened) I must come to a complete stop right where I am, or continue to drive while the vehicle is shaking uncontrollably, and I am unable to steer. This is completely visible to others not inside the vehicle as well, as I have been pulled over, verbally yelled at, honked at, etc...

- Stateline, NV, USA

Aug 012011

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel began to shake uncontrollably. The contact slowed down to approximately 30 mph and the shaking decreased. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technician stated that the tires would have to be balanced. The failure continued after the balancing of the tires. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 67,500.

- Trenton, NC, USA

Jan 112012

Wrangler

Steering went into extreme shimmy I.e. death wobble after small bumps on highway. Vehicle lost control and required evasive maneuver to pull over and stop shimmy. Extremely dangerous defect in design.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Jan 182011

Wrangler 6-cyl

My Jeep is experiencing what Jeep owners refer to as the death wobble. Violent, intense shaking of the front end after hitting the smallest of bumps. Must slow down immediately to gain control of vehicle.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jan 092012

Wrangler

Death wobble 2008 Jeep Wrangler. Bought vehicle in Oct 2011, 5 occurrances of death wobble, all on freeways through Jan 10th 2012. Only recourse is to pull over & stop after hitting a bump or groove in the road. Newtons law, every action causes a reaction. Front wheels will start shaking begin gradually then violantly until you can luckily pull over & stop. Once stopped, you can start again & not experience it again for weeks & then it happens again whenever you least expect it. Very hard to even control the vehicle once it abruptly starts. Dealer says it's damper needs replaced for 250$. doing this... but this really feels like this should be a recall issue or covered under a easy care warranty that I was duped into buying as well. After 4 months of owning a 20,000$ car & nearly killed 5 times is outrageous. Many people wouldn't have been able to control a vehicle if this happened to them. This is a Chrysler defect & they should be addressing this before someone is killed by their faulty engineering and/or parts.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 032012

Wrangler

This is my second online complaint regarding the "death wobble" I have experienced in my Jeep. I had the issue "fixed" in September, though it began to happen again in early December. I took my Jeep back in to the dealership and they replaced the steering damper with a "high performance" model. They did this at no charge because they said the original "fix" was still under warranty. I thought this took care of things. Two days ago, I was driving about 45 mph on a busy service road and the vehicle began to shake violently again. I immediately had to slow down and almost come to a stop before it would stop. Nearby drivers had to swerve to miss me and the guy behind me almost rear-ended me. This has got to stop. I took my Jeep back to the dealership this morning and they said they would look into it and call me back. The saga continues.

- Mckinney, TX, USA