2009 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

2009 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 082016

Fuel overflows when filling up vehicle.

- Apo, AE, USA

Mar 282016

Fuel spits back when fueling. This happens everything we fuel up and is creating a dangerous situation. The local Jeep dealer tells me there was an extended warranty offered for 2007 and 2008 Jeep Wrangler but my 2009 was not included in the extended warranty.

- Milford, KS, USA

Feb 252016

Almost every time I fill up my Jeep and use the automatic shut-off on the pump, it will shut off and then puke some gas out the filler hole and down the side of the Jeep. Jeep won't cover it because it wasnt a 2007 or 2008 my with same known issue.

- Moon Township, PA, USA

Oct 012014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When filling up gas take, it does not stop automatically when full like it used to. Gas overflows out of filler tube down the side of the 2009 Jeep Wrangler. Issue did not start until vehicle had 65K miles on it.

- Coraopolis, PA, USA

Jul 092014

Gas tank over flows everytime I fill gas tank, goes all over the side of the car, all over the ground and gets on me. It's dangerous, wasteful and is damaging the finish on the outside of vehicle. Mfg says it's not covered under any recalls. Note: Happens regardless of which gas station, which setting on the pump handle or how far the gas nozzle is inserted into filler tube. Internet search shows other years have been recalled for condition.

- Cedar City, UT, USA

Dec 032014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When fueling my 2009 Jeep Wrangler unlimited (sahara), gas spews back out of the tank following the auto shut off of the gas pump. This is my second fill-up since purchasing the Jeep new and it has happened both time. It occurred at different gas stations so it isn't a problem with the pump or nozzle. The Jeep is not properly ventilating the gas and detecting the level so as to prevent the gas blow back.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jun 092014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When filling fuel tank, gas back splashes and goes everywhere. It happens every time I fill fuel tank. You have to stand back or you will get it on you.

- Rogersville, TN, USA

Aug 292013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Gas sprays out of filler neck during fueling of vehicle. During fill ups gas will spray out of filler neck before the gas nozzle can shut off automatically. This results in having gas sprayed on myself, my Jeep and all over the ground. This is not a safe situation.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Oct 012011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Gas overflows every time I fill up.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Aug 092014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Every time I fill the gas tank up the gas pump shuts off and all the gas in the filler neck comes back out all over me, the Jeep and all over the ground.

- Milan, IL, USA

Jan 162014

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while refueling, fuel would spew back out of the filler neck without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 36,000 and the current mileage was 39,000.

- Rockland, MA, USA

Mar 222014

I just purchased my 4 door, 09 Wrangler on Thursday March 13. I first had to fill it up that Saturday the 15nd. When I did, the gas tank clicked off but gas still came pouring out of the tank (not the nozzle). I was incredibly irritated I just bought this Jeep and now there was gas pouring down the side and fenders. After cleaning it up I chaulked it up as faulty equipment at the gas station. However, the next 2 times I filled up, the same thing happened. This is incredibly frustrating. Not only is it dangerous but its disgusting. Not to mention these vehicles aren't cheap, we don't need to be worried about gas eating away at the vehicle as another expensive. I've heard there are several complaints regarding this issue and that Chrysler refuses to address it. I find this embarrassing on their part and shows poor business practice.

- Olyphant, PA, USA

Jan 012014

When filling my vehicle with gas it over flows after the nozzle shuts off. Causing gas to spill on me. My vehicle and the ground I have seen numerous complaints on this vehicle.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Apr 202011

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the filler neck valve would spew gasoline when attempting to refuel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the fuel tank was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Sep 202013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Bought my 2009 Wrangler X 2 door automatic with 13K miles and perfect condition with all the bells and whistles. Signed loan papers and drove around the corner to my work to fill up on gas. While pumping gas, gas squirted back out of the filler neck and covered my pants, boots, the side of the Jeep and ran down the paint and onto the tires and rims as well. Gas everywhere! had no change of clothes and nothing to wipe gas off the paint, tires, and plastic fender. Extremely dangerous! every fill up results in gas spewing out onto the Jeep and ground and if my wife, kids, or me isn't paying attention then we are wearing the gas as well. Thank god no open flame or kaboom. I see fixes for 2007/2008 but apparently other years suffer as well with this dangerous problem. Immediate fix needed. May consult legal advice on this matter as dealership refuses help.

- Newark, OH, USA

Aug 082013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Gasoline splashes back from tank upon filling, spilling fuel on me, the vehicle, and ground. This happens at every gas station with every fill-up for the last 4 years. Dealer says there is no problem.

- Brockport, PA, USA

Jun 012011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Gas comes out while fueling the Jeep. The gas spills all over the side of the Jeep and is causing a hazardous condition. It does it every time I fuel the Jeep at the gas station. It does not matter what gas station I go to. It does it all the time.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 152013

While fueling my vehicle the automatic shutoff on the fuel nozzle shuts off and shortly after fuel begins to come back up out of the Jeep and down the side. Has happened numerous times.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

May 202013

Couple things. While in motion in 1st gear, the vehicle will pop out of gear suddenly, making a loud clunking noise. Also, when filling up the tank, it will overflow.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Dec 022011

My 2009 Jeep Wrangler is spitting out about a pint of gas at every fill up just after the auto shut off for the pump engages. It runs down the side of my left rear quarter panel, onto the bumper and then onto the ground. This is both a safety and environmental concern. I am currently using my trip odometer to estimate the amount of fuel I can put in based on my estimated gas mileage and miles driven.

- Middletown, DE, USA