2.7

2009 Jeep Wrangler miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

2009 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Oct 202015

Wrangler

Death wobble shakes terribly while driving and most often after hitting a slight bump.

- Utica, NY, USA

Sep 142015

Wrangler

While working my mail route, only about 20 miles in, my right hand drive Wrangler started to smoke. I assumed because the vehicle never turned off when it began to smoke it was something small causing the issue. I was driving 15 mph when this occurred. I pulled over, shut off my vehicle and opened the hood. There was a fire on the passanger side of my vehicle under and behind my battery, rolling under the vehicle moving very quickly. I immediately closed the hood, got my belonging out of my vehicle and watched as it blew up, and I called 911. My vehicle is totaled. I am now learning that this is becoming a common occurance with Jeep! why are there no public warnings!! where are the recalls!!!!!!!! I and others could have been hurt or killed!!!!

- Cadillac, MI, USA

May 012015

Wrangler

Bought a used 2009 Jeep, when taking off it jumps out of 1st gear.

- Walker , LA, USA

May 022011

Wrangler

Vehicle shakes uncontrollably around 55 or when I hit a bumb, took the Jeep two the garage and explain what was going on and was told it was the tires so bought new tires and wasn't the problem, I looked up the death wobble and seen many people with Jeep have had the same problem and Jeep Chrysler won't do a recall and they should because this can very much cause an accident when you have no control, this is left up to the owners whom thought they bought a good product to figure out and pay to fix a problem that Jeep Chrysler should of fixed in the first place but it's all about profit and not safety !!!

- Hedgesville , WV, USA

May 082015

Wrangler

Every few minutes the airbag light comes on with a chime then goes away after a mile or so comes back

- Scotch Plains, NJ, USA

Jun 212013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I drove over a dip in the road at approximately 45mph and my car started shaking uncontrollably. I truly felt the car was coming apart and I would wreck. I let off the gas and the shaking stopped. I have since discovered the "death wobble" and feel this is exactly what happened to me.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Feb 182013

Wrangler

Driving to work at 5 am, and hit a uneven patch of pavement and front end of Jeep began to shake violently; like both tires went flat. I inspected, but tires were not damaged. After a few more days of this happening on regular occurence, I made appt. At authorized dealership in my hometown. They inspected and said steering dampner went bad. A couple days later, same problem started happening again. Made appointment and dealer suggested that balance and rotation was needed to correct problem. Had that done and problem started up again very next day. Made another appt. With same dealer and they inspected. I was told the dampner that was installed week previous was bad, so they replaced it again. When they finished installing second dampner, I asked what next step was if this didn't remedy issue. They simply told me "we don't know. Replacing dampner and balance/rotation of tires usually fixes it." While searching the web for similar issues associated, I came across article an article about the Jeep "death wobble." After reading thru numerous online forums, and watching related videos, it would appear that my Jeep is experiencing exact affects. Called Chrysler and registered complaint on 11 March 2013. Oddly enough, they have never heard of the "death wobble" nor had any recent complaints of these issues. This vehicle is very unsafe to drive!!!!

- Belleville, IL, USA

Wrangler

When driving at 50 mph or above ( highway speeds) and hit a bump the whole vechile will shake so vioently that you think you are literally going to die. If you step on the brakes, it only gets worse. On the outside the tires wobble in out out, looking as though both axles just broke off. I have had mine in and out of the shop over 10 times and has been out of service for over 2 months. I wil get it back from the shop and within a week of having it back the death wobble ( shaking of vechile) is back and only gets worse. I have taken my Jeep to a different dealership then I bought it and they found that the liftkit that was already installed on my Jeep before I bought it brand new had missing parts and they used a lug nut for a nut on it. They don't know what is causing it. They are just throwing parts at it.

Oct 012009

Wrangler 4WD 4-cyl

I have had this Jeep in to the dealer 5 times now for the same problem. It is only 2 and a half years old. The first time I brought it in was approx 4 months after I bought the truck brand new. They have yet to fix the problem. When you drive approx. 55 mph on a highway, and possibly hit a little bump, the car will shake uncontrolably. You cannot hit the break or it gets worse but sometimes your forced to because you will crash otherwise. The whole front end wobbles to a point where you loose all control of the vehicle. The dealship stated the first time after it happened that they fixed it... the other two times they said the same thing. The fourth time they decided to say it was my tires. ( I dont know why they all of a sudden changed the problem). Rotating the tires fixed the problem for about 6 months until I had to bring it in again and they now state they can't find anything wrong with it. But apparantly there is. Very fed up with the whole situation. And very nervous driving the truck.

- Port Jefferson, NY, USA