9.0

1. replacing the steering "damper" (2 reports)
2009 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

2009 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Feb 102013

Wrangler X V6

I was driving home at 60-65mph from Baltimore with my cousin, fiance and aunt when I hit a minor pothole. The entire steering wheel/front section starts to violently shake and I was unable to stop it until I stepped on the breaks and slowed the car down to almost 25 mph ON THE HIGHWAY and almost drove off to the side of the road. This happened 4 other times following that incident in a matter of 2 weeks’ time. Finally I called the dealership where I purchased the car. They told me it was the steering dampener and that I would have to replace it. They also told me that I had to pay for the part, even though I had purchased an extended warranty from them. I was told that this was very common on Jeeps and although there have not been any reported deaths, I am positive this will one day lead to an accident and /or death. This is a very serious defect on Jeep’s part and they need to address the issue before they kill someone. By the way, my car only has 37k miles on it. STILL Fairly new!

- , Sunnyside, NY, USA

May 152011

Wrangler JK 2.8L Turbo Diesel

I got this death wobble from the 40,000km service and recall of the steering damper (steering stabilizer i believe it's called) which is what Jeep called it. From the moment it came out of the service center, whenever i reached approx. 85km/h and went over a bump, my jeep would shake like crazy in the front end. I took it back several times and they couldn't fix it. Finally, after telling them that there wasn't a problem until they changed the steering damper, they replaced the steering damper again. Problem solved. But now I am worried about the car's front end and the problems I'm going to have over the next few years. What can I do? I love my Jeep and don't want to sell, but I think I have to. AAArrrgh!

- , Melbourne, VIC, Australia