2011 Jeep Wrangler engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Wrangler:

2011 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Jul 122016

We have the Jeep death wobble. It has happened 3X's since purchase, 06-21-2016 starts when going over bumpy road, maybe 40-45mph. Violently shaking, difficult to control steering. Bounces me out of the seat, teeth rattling, feel like windows will break. Stops shaking when I touch brake pedal. Very scary. Cruise/speed control only works part-time and radio buttons 5 and 6 do not light up like 1-4. I fear they have been "bounced apart" maybe. I live in butler co, pa the birthplace of the Jeep. Jeep must come through and fix this. This is embarrassing for Jeep people let alone dangerous. Help!

- Slippery Rock, PA, USA

Dec 122012

Continuing failure of electric clock spring/ cruise / horn systems. It has been to dealer 4 times and "fixed" and then re-fails within a short amount of miles. 6314, 9057, 10730, 18456 and is currently failing again(22000). Back to dealer as soon as I can schedule. I will first notice that the cruise control will not turn on and some times the horn will not work. However sometimes if I can honk the horn and then the cruise control will start working again; maybe for a few 100's of a few 1,000 miles. I am worry about the possible failure of the air bag if this keeps up. Please advice. My dealer keeps trying, but Jeep need to resolve! thanks. I will upload copies of my prior 4 service documents.

- Three Rivers, CA, USA

Jul 022015

I currently own a 2011 Jeep Wrangler that is experiencing some electrical issues. Currently the airbag light is on and there is a chime indicating such. This chime occurs approximately every 1 to 2 minutes. At about the same time the airbag light problem occurred, the other controls on the steering wheel such as the horn, cruise control and radio controls stopped functioning. I contacted Jeep (Chrysler) about the issue and was told they would contact me within 24-48 hours concerning this issue. Approximately 10 days went by and I had not heard back from Jeep. I contacted Jeep and was told that they will not fix this issue. I explained to them the safety concerns with not having a working horn and a questionable airbag. This did not seem to be an issue that they were to concerned about. I've been in law enforcement for several years now, and I cannot stress enough about the importance of having a functioning airbag. This is coming from some of the accidents that I have either witnessed or worked as an investigating officer. I have found through research that several earlier model (2007-2008) Jeep Wrangler have been recalled for similar issues. This is a recurring problem and I am sure you have received complaints on this issue in the past. This is my second Jeep and the company replaced the part that was causing the issue before. It was a 2007. This part is referred to as a clock spring and cost over $500 to replace. I would like for this issue to be addressed before someone is gravely affected.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Feb 092015

Wrangler 6-cyl

Air bag warning light comes on intermittently, and speed control works intermittently. Problem was diagnosed as a defective clock spring in the steering column.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Aug 242011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Cruise control does not work (multiple times fixed).

- Reno, NV, USA

Mar 032014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Was entering onto the interstate when my 2011 Jeep Wrangler completely shut off, all warning lights on the dash came on, power steering went out, and headlights turned off. Immediately maneuvered the Jeep off of the interstate where I sat in 20 degree weather for a half hour before it would start back. Two weeks later I was driving down the interstate in a rain storm and the windshield wipers completely shut off. Once again, we had to carefully get off of the interstate and try to get them working, which we failed to do. Had to wait until the storm passed before we were able to get the vehicle home. My husband is a mechanic and began driving the Jeep on a daily basis with a computer hooked to it in hopes to catch a code. Once again, the Jeep shut off all power and threw a code for the tipm module. Since then, we've had several instances where the Jeep looses all power and shuts off along with the traction control kicking off and on. We bought the Jeep and had it for only 3 weeks before the problems began. We've contacted the dealer we purchased from, several Jeep dealerships and Chrysler directly and received the run around by all of them. We contacted our local Jeep dealer where we were told that the tipm modules were a common problem and they were on back order with no estimated time of arrival, but they would call when it came in. That was 8 months ago and still we haven't received a call. I'm always nervous when I drive it now because you never know when is going to shut off in traffic and cause a wreck because you can't get off of the interstate nor can you steer easily. I really wish Chrysler would own up to this issue before it kills someone!

- Mars Hill, NC, USA

Mar 012012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Shortly after purchasing my 2011 Jeep Wrangler I noticed my roof leaking. After numerous attempts to get it fixed it still leaks resulting in mold buildup & fowl odor. My engine does not have the power expected of a new Jeep. When I get on the highway my RPM will run high and it takes quite a while to get up to speed. A couple times when going over ridges or bumps in the road, my wheel will vibrate violently & I have very limited control & my brakes will not work appropriately until the shaking stops when I slow.

- Durham, NC, USA

Aug 222012

While traveling on the highway at approximately 55-60 mph, my 2011 4-door Jeep Wrangler hit a small bump. The Jeep's front-end/steering wheel began to shake uncontrollably. When trying to reduce the speed by braking, the violent shaking only became worse. I was unable to keep the vehicle in the lane which I was driving because of the out-of-control shaking. Had there been other vehicles in the adjacent lanes, there most definitely would have been an accident, with possible injuries, given the rate of speed that I was traveling. I had to reduce the speed of the vehicle simply by not applying the gas or brake, causing cars behind me to have to brake, which in turn could have resulted in additional accidents/injuries. This uncontrollable shaking has occurred in this vehicle approximately 5 times. I have since learned that this is the infamous "death wobble." Since this is a known occurrence, especially in Jeep, my concern is why this is not being addressed and being required to be fixed.

- Sand Springs, OK, USA

Mar 292012

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while stopped, the vehicle abnormally accelearted to speeds of 60 mph. The check engine warning light illuminated during the failure yet the vehicle continued to surge while the contact applied the brakes. The contact shifted into neutral and was able to successfully stop the vehicle. The vehicle was then towed to an authorized dealer, but they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 23,750.

- Ansonia, CT, USA

Dec 172010

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler 4X4. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal would sporadically become stuck. The contact stated the vehicle had to be shifted into neutral and the floor mats had to be removed in order to get the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the contact was told that the failure was unable to be duplicated. The failure mileage was 15 and the current mileage was 4,000.

- Bonitha Springs, FL, USA

Nov 062011

While accelerating the throttle stuck in the accelerated position. The electronic throttle control warning light illuminated. Without any action the vehicle went back to normal throttle. Have not yet taken vehicle to dealer for review.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Oct 242011

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated while driving 65 mph, the accelerator pedal became stuck in a partially depressed position. The contact shifted the vehicle into neutral and was able to pull the pedal out of its depressed position with his feet. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred the contact to a dealer. The failure and current mileages was 3,700. The VIN was unavailable.

- Weslaco, TX, USA

May 122011

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the electronic throttle control warning light illuminated on the instrument panel as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was restarted but would not accelerate beyond 40 mph. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The current and failure mileage was approximately 3,500.

- Arapaho, OK, USA