Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Sep 232016

Tipm went out lost all control of the vehicle while traveling 55 mph! could have be a deadly situation! Jeep needs to have a recall asap....

- Kingston, TN, USA

May 232016

When in motion on an uneven or bumpy road the anti stabilation light starts flashing and tires fell like something is grabbing them and makes grinding sound. This happens when applying brake or not applying brake. Three other co workers are having same problem all 2012 right hand drive.

- Lockport, LA, USA

Oct 022015

I was involved in a single vehicle collision, with "multiple front end impacts" and significant damage to the vehicle. I was driving approximately 35-40 mph, when the vehicle jerked to the right I hydroplaned (this is my best guess and veered to the shoulder. The street is narrow, with only a very thin shoulder. The Jeep then went off the road, drove through a deep rain-filled ditch, hit the front end of that ditch, launching the Jeep airborne. During that impact, the front axle was ripped off. I then landed in another ditch (a culvert with 2 cement walls), where the Jeep bounced twice on the cement wall, cracking the frame each time, then landed in the ditch, where I kept going until I hit a small construction pole. My Jeep had the additional side airbag package. Despite the severity of the crash, my airbags did not deploy, and my seat belt never tightened. This resulted in me being thrown forwards and backwards multiple times (at least 3 that I recall). I suffered a tbi, and missed 2.5 months of work. I had to quit my second job. I have also had ongoing neck pain, initially thought to be muscular. An mri recently completed shows disk herniation of C3-C6.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Apr 122016

The clock spring has was replaced once at partial cost to me. It is now out again. Now the traction control light is on, and it affects the way I'm driving.

- Herod, IL, USA

Feb 122016

Tipm failure. Failure also affected starter and steering module. Initially vehicles lights and horn would go on without vehicle turned on. Doors lock and unlock by themselves. Ac and heater would shut down and restart. On these instances, dealership was advised, I was told that it was a code problem and codes were reset. Lately vehicle would downshift to first gear at both high and slow speeds causing a hazard in traffic. From a start position vehicle would not shift out of first gear. Vehicle engine would die out in traffic or turnover then die out as if fuel pump was failing. Instrumentation panel would flash and malfunction not allowing driver to see what gear indication was showing. Vehicle power steering would fail at various speeds causing dangerous situations. Last instance the vehicle was towed to dealership due to the unsafe conditions. Dealership and Chrysler advised. Remedy from each is "we are looking for parts, do not know when or can give you a repair date. Vehicle has been at dealer since being towed in. Chrysler refuses to give any assistance. Initial cost of repair quoted at $1100+. owner refused to pay this amount since it is a known problem with Chrysler products. Dealership will lower costs to $250. Still unacceptable due to Chrysler refusal to admit a problem that they are aware of and have had a previous recall for only after threat of lawsuit. But they have limited it to only specific models and years. Problem goes back to 2007. Vehicle in with this problem is a hazard and dangerous to drive at any speeds. No offer of vehicle assistance while waiting to see when vehicle can be put back into use.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jan 272016

Yesterday when driving my Jeep to the gas station all of the warning lights started turning on and the Jeep battery light turned on. Knowing that it could be a problem with the alternator I headed home immediately. A block from my house in the middle of an intersection the battery finally died thankfully someone was able to push me out of the intersection because it was dark out and I didn't have any lights. I had the car checked and it is the alternator. I searched online and found that there is a recall for a pentastar 3.6 L V6 alternators but I'm being told that my vehicle is not included in the recall. By specifically excluding my vehicle from the recall they have risked my safety and the safety of those around me.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

Oct 312015

Several problems occurred electronically with my Wrangler in the past 2 months. 1. headlights turned on when I came out of the store 2. check engine light came on (4cyl. Misfire) but cleared itself after 100 miles 3. while sitting idle at a red light, the dash warning light lit up and flickered as well as chimed for a minute. 4. while cruising on the interstate about 70mph, the Jeep shut off for a few seconds and turned back on before I was almost rear ended by the vehicle behind me.

- Easthampton, MA, USA

Jun 192015

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon, no modifications have been made to the vehicle. I bought it new and have had numerous problems with it from the beginning. The most recent problem has already been reported on this website by someone else. I was driving and the check engine and stability control lights both came on. Once this happens, acceleration is significantly compromised and the transmission continues to shift back and forth. I have a lifetime warranty on the vehicle and took it to the dealer. They replaced some sensors and told me it was good to go and come pick it up. Five minutes after I left the dealer both lights came back on. Took it back, they replaced some other parts and told me it was ready. Picked it up and within ten minutes both lights were back on. Took it back and they replaced the computer, I waited this time, they said those codes were gone although a new code was now showing up. Told me I could drive it and they would order me another computer. Yesterday, while sitting in the parking lot of the movie theater a bell started going off, the oil light came on, sway bar light came on, all of the gear position lights came on and the engine ran up to about 6000 rpms. I turned it off and it would not restart. After about 15 minutes it restarted and I was able to drive for about 2 minutes and everything came back on and the car would not go over 20 mph. I made it home and a wrecker picked it up and took it to the dealership. I am waiting to hear what they think it is this time.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Feb 252015

Inop battery, A/C and heat blower, alarm security light, windows inop intermediately

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jan 032014

Approx 4 months and 3700 miles of having my 2012 Jeep Wrangler sahara unlimited, during regular driving all dash lights came on, the warning chimes were on, all gauges dropped and continued to flash, the vehicle slowed down and the lights remained flashing and flickering for about another 20 seconds I couldn't accelerate. This has happened over 30 times since then and almost caused a serious accident on the interstate. This still continues to happen regularly and after showing them 2 videos on separate occasions dealership says they can't duplicate the problem so there is nothing they can do. Now at 47000 miles my warranty is gone and this time when it happened the check engine and airbag remained on. I don't know if the two issues are related or are separate, but now it kind of "sputters and put-puts" when its in park and won't accelerate properly. Dealership wants $150 just to look at this issue again and tell me they can't duplicate the fault. This is a serious safety issue; it has never been driven off road, is garage kept, and not used everyday. I don't want my Jeep to catch fire or continue to put me and my children in a position where when could get hurt because of these issues. If anyone else has had these issues any help would be appreciated.

- Southaven, MS, USA

Nov 042014

The (RHD) vehicle check engine light and traction control (skid) light come on regularly while driving straight on dry roads and when the traction control light is on it causes the vehicle to slow speed. When driving over 40 mph, it takes a while to gain speed and if you let off gas it jerks like you are driving a standard transmission. I recently had the powertrain control module replaced costing myself over $600 and it still does the same thing. I have made a stop at a stop sign before and this Jeep died and started right back. Occasionally the gascap light comes on and stays for a couple days and then goes away. Another strange thing that happens a lot is the temperature on dash is set to Fahrenheit, but often I have to change it back because I will look and its showing celsius. The most recent thing that happened scared even my children. I had just took off at a 4-way intersection on highway and while gaining speed with no lights on, I reached about 40 mph and it just jerked as hard as it could and then check engine light and traction control light come on causing us to almost get run over by the people behind us gaining speed because we were being slowed down by this event. This is by far the strangest vehicle I've ever owned, sometimes there are no lights, sometimes just check engine or gascap light is on, and sometimes the check engine and traction control lights are on at the same time. You never know what you are gonna get on any given day. I have taken it to dealer again for the 6th time but they don't seem to be very knowledgeable or have any idea why this is happening.

- Wewoka, OK, USA

Nov 202014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Attempting to accelerate from stop at traffic signal, dashboard trouble lights illuminated, ESC and antilock brake system activated, effectively nullifying driver throttle input. Vehicle would not accelerate.

- Nanjemoy, MD, USA

Feb 022014

Wrangler 6-cyl

2012 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport; 1st incident with hot oil message, resulted in dealership fixing the recall they all of a sudden had parts for (that were on back order for months-and for a recall). When I told the dealership I had a case id with Chrysler, they changed their tune and had the part(s). This was at 26000 miles. 2nd incident: I had driven to NY from SC with no issues while driving. Next day, cold start, hot oil warning. Took to a local auto repair shop and they "cleared the error" stating there was no apparent cause and they "didn't know why" the error occurred. 3rd incident: Called dealership I bought the Jeep from and told the guy (whom I know by name) that I was having the same problem, "hot oil message." He stated, "hot oil message, I don't know what you're talking about!" really"?" he was clearly lying, and I knew right then he was of no help to me. So, I went to the nearest Chrysler in a town 15 minutes away where I had moved to as it was closer anyway...letting the liar-part go, thinking the other dealership would surely do the right thing. This is at 34000 mi. The dealership has my Jeep currently and told me today that the dealership I bought it from wrote "added computer to Jeep, " as the supposed fix for the original issue (recall). The guy at the closest dealership told me the computer wouldn't even "talk" to him so he couldn't diagnose the problem until he figures out how to get the 1st computer to "talk" to him so he can get to the 2nd computer and try to diagnose an issue with the 2nd computer. Got a call this afternoon that it was driven around town with no problems after clearing the error message again. Awaiting final results now. I'm 2000 miles away from being out of warranty. Researching internet reveals numerous accounts of same issue with many people barely escaping engulfed in flames Jeep. This is an issue. Class action sought.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Apr 042012

Wrangler 6-cyl

2012 Jeep Wrangler 4dr rubicon 2 problems the 6 spd transmission shifter bounces all over on light off road use have cracked my knuckles several times trying to take hold of the shifter. Dealer says that's the way they are("?") also the electronic steering control comes on at all different speeds even changing lanes at under 25 mph. The dealer replaced the sensor in the center console and aligned it 3 times but still does it.

- Blanca, CO, USA

Dec 272013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was traveling on the freeway. Dry, sunny day. The ESC light comes on for a half a second and the Wrangler brakes at the same time. Wheels did not lock up. Did not loose control. Just a split second, sudden deceleration. This has happened twice more, the last time was this weekend.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Jun 272013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have a 2012 Wrangler sahara 4dr and this past week I had to tow my Jeep into a dealership in texarkana. I was driving 45 mph and not trying to gun the rpms. I had total shutdown but was able to get off the road. The dealership hooked it up and told me that my asd 25 amp fuse had blown but couldn't figure out why. My Jeep ran okay for much of the day but by night it blew another fuse as I accelerated from a green light and into the intersection. I replaced it with another 25 amp fuse but fear that if I put a 30 amp in that it would be too much for a burn out but I wanted to make sure I got home. I drove back home (an hour drive up and down hills) and it seemed to always want to ramp up the rpms suddenly. I would love to know if anyone else has had this kinda issue? I have less than 25,000 miles on my Jeep. Update... I have now had three fuses blow and two tows to dealerships because I couldn't keep a good fuse. I hope someone can please help me point out the direction the dealership needs to be looking for. This is getting frustrating. It seems to blow a fuse when I hit any type of bump in the road. No electrical mods were made except my warn winch, which was installed at the dealership for warranty reasons. Currently my Jeep remain in a tow yard until tomorrow where they tow it back to the dealership * no warning lights are indicated * new air filters * no electrical mods * factory sound system * rides rough * when fuse blows, total vehicle shutdown occurs including power steering and brakes.

- Shreveport , LA, USA

Mar 262013

Wrangler 6-cyl

On the 2012 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag and esp warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008+ Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a poorly designed clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failures in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around, as well as hazardous, and potentially fatal esp inputs that can cause the Jeep to strike into other vehicles and/or objects on the road, and potential roll-overs. Also, in the case of steering gear box failures, the clockspring is designed in such a way that it will also take out the clockspring, effectively doubling the cost of any required repairs. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the reliability or safety concerns for this issue.

- San Diego, CA, USA