CarComplaints.com Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Oct 022015

Wrangler

I was involved in a single vehicle collision, with "multiple front end impacts" and significant damage to the vehicle. I was driving approximately 35-40 mph, when the vehicle jerked to the right I hydroplaned (this is my best guess and veered to the shoulder. The street is narrow, with only a very thin shoulder. The Jeep then went off the road, drove through a deep rain-filled ditch, hit the front end of that ditch, launching the Jeep airborne. During that impact, the front axle was ripped off. I then landed in another ditch (a culvert with 2 cement walls), where the Jeep bounced twice on the cement wall, cracking the frame each time, then landed in the ditch, where I kept going until I hit a small construction pole. My Jeep had the additional side airbag package. Despite the severity of the crash, my airbags did not deploy, and my seat belt never tightened. This resulted in me being thrown forwards and backwards multiple times (at least 3 that I recall). I suffered a tbi, and missed 2.5 months of work. I had to quit my second job. I have also had ongoing neck pain, initially thought to be muscular. An mri recently completed shows disk herniation of C3-C6.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 022015

Wrangler

I was involved in a single vehicle collision, with "multiple front end impacts" and significant damage to the vehicle. I was driving approximately 35-40 mph, when I hydroplaned (this is my best guess, I really don't note what happened), and veered to the shoulder. The Jeep then went off the road, drove through a deep rain-filled ditch, hit the front end of that ditch, launching the Jeep airborne. During that impact, the front axle was ripped off. I then landed in another ditch (a culvert with 2 cement walls), where the Jeep bounced twice on the cement wall, cracking the frame each time, then landed in the ditch, where I kept going until I hit a small construction pole. My Jeep had the additional side airbag package. Despite the severity of the crash, my airbags did not deploy, and my seat belt never tightened. This resulted in me being thrown forwards and backwards multiple times (at least 3 that I recall). I suffered a tbi, and missed 2.5 months of work. I had to quit my second job. I have also had ongoing neck pain, initially thought to be muscular. An mri recently completed shows disk herniation of C3-C6.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 042012

Wrangler

2012 Jeep Wrangler was a "postal vehicle", in that the steering wheel was on the right-hand side of the vehicle. Driver error occurred, in that driver was on right shoulder of two lane highway, but pulled out into traffic to perform "a 180" degree turn in order to reverse direction. Driver did not properly yield the right-of-way. When entering highway, vehicle was struck by oncoming, speeding car. Crash resulted. Impact was so severe that female passenger in back seat who was wearing her seat belt was ejected (and killed). Seat belt was torn due to force. Roof cover was insufficient to stop ejection. Male passenger in back seat, also belted, was also killed. Injuries to two passengers in front seat. Possible defects include the design defects inherent in right-sided steering wheel, and also the seat belt shearing, plus roof cover failure during crash.

- Colebrook, NH, USA

Feb 252015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the front driver side seat belt strap separated from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 142,000.

- Minier, IL, USA