Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Dec 162015

The death wobble is a terrifying experience, especially when it occurs for the first time. So far, the issue has occurred at 40-50 mph on a two way road. During the several times that it has occurred, I thought that a crash would be inevitable if I didn't stop the car right away. The steering is barely controllable and it gets to the point where you think that the car will swerve off the road or likely flip. I am not only worried about my own safety, but also the safety of other on the road. I have been lucky and have been able to stop the car in time. I am very hesitant to let anyone drive the vehicle because of this issue. If you are not expecting it, the wobble is truly terrifying. I cannot believe that a company has such poor design quality. This issue should be acknowledged by the company and a fix should be provided before someone gets hurt. Less than a year after taking the vehicle to the mechanic, the issue has resurfaced and now it is even worse. It truly is a safety concern at this point.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Nov 042014

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle wobbled and vibrated. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic replaced the dry shaft, the tires were balanced, and a larger U joint on the dry shaft was replaced. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000.

- 714-337-5482, CA, USA

Oct 302015

The Jeep death wobble: I cannot drive over 55 mph without the wobble occurring. New tires and an alignment has not corrected the problem. There appears to be hundreds of references to this problem on line. When will Jeep offer a solution?

- West Friendship, MD, USA

Apr 012014

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the vehicle jerked, rattled, and wobbled out of control while driving 45 mph. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel to be able to keep the vehicle under control. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The dealer found nothing wrong with the vehicle. The contact also took the vehicle to a specialized mechanic, but was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Pittsburg , IL, USA

May 012015

I had already experienced the death wobble in my Jeep prior to today's date, I had everything under the front end tightened and the front track bar replaced, cost, approximately 700 dollars. The track bar was replaced April 30 2015, today May 1 2015 I got on the highway ramp as soon. As I hit 65 and a bump the Jeep began to go into a violent shaking. In order to maintain control I had to grip the steering wheel very tight, white knuckle, and pull off to the side of the highway during morning rush hour. After coming to a complete stop the wobble stopped. I bright to Jeep and the said probably the steering. The called me later and said it was the upper lower ball joints, tie rods, alignment, and steering. 2200 bucks. For a car that's only a few years old no reason something like the ball joints should be that worn or that I should experience a death wobble in the first place. I don't off road, my car is not lifted. Jeep is not willing to pay any of the repair even thought the car is like brand new.

- Glendale Heights, IL, USA

Apr 042012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

This Jeep has been difficult to drive since first month purchased. Been in shop numerous times, not a few, numerous times for this issue. Recently it become totally uncontrollable and could not handle it at all. "death wobble" dealer in which I purchased refuses to back up the issue & left me on my own to fix. When you google "death wobble" which is the term I was given by dealership that I had never heard of, you will find what my Jeep had been doing all along.

- Danielsville, GA, USA

May 312014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Traveling at approx. 30mph on city street. Struck rough area of road with sudden loss of steering control and extreme shaking of front end. Unable to control vehicle at speeds over 10mph or turn. Inspection by service provider revealed shearing of factory welds on right front stabilizer bar. Required replacement of front axle, steering damper and right stabilizer bar. Vehicle is used for passenger travel only on streets/highways, no off road use. No prior accidents.

- Salado, TX, USA

Feb 132013

Was driving on highway at approximately 55 mph and hit a small bump in road. The front end started to shake violently and steering wheel went side to side. It felt like the vehicle was going out of control and I feared I might end up in a collision. I slowed the vehicle and applied brakes to bring the vehicle under control. Since that time, it has occurred often and it is very dangerous. To date, I have replaced the steering stabilizer and checked all other components for wear. Tires have been balanced and rotated. This alleviated the problem but the problem has since come back. According to my daughters, they have experienced the front end shake on various occasions while at school in albuquerque. I have researched on the internet and my vehicle problems has been termed "death wobble" by other Jeep Wrangler owners. I also found out there are a lot of complaints but Chrysler Jeep has not issued any recalls to fix this problem. If I can't fix the problem, then I will be getting rid of my vehicle for a safe vehicle.

- Navajo, NM, USA

Dec 252012

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 55 mph, the brakes seized with the illumination of the ABS and traction control warning indicators. The vehicle skidded as the engine slightly stalled. The contact regained control of the vehicle and resumed in operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician informed the contact that the failure was contributed to the faulty front wheel hub and wheel bearings. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 2,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- Darien, CT, USA

Apr 272012

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Wrangler MW3. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, he felt the vehicle pulling to the right. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The dealer recommended replacing the front axle. The vehicle was repaired but the failure continued. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 328 and the current mileage was 3,400.

- Katy , TX, USA

Feb 012012

Wrangler 6-cyl

My 2012 Jeep Wrangler sahara 2-door with automatic transmission exhibits the following issues: 1) valve train ticking noise. This developed after a few months of ownership (bought November 2011) 2) sluggish acceleration and automatic transmission shifting when vehicle is cold. It does improve as vehicle is warmed up after driving it for 5-10 minutes, and by then the vehicle seems to operate normal. 3) I sometimes feel a thud or vibration coming up from the steering wheel. It almost feels as something is loose in the front-end. This happens sporadically. This started happening just recently. I am going to discuss these issues with the Chrysler dealership when I take it for the first oil change.

- Rocky River, OH, USA