CarComplaints.com Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

2012 Jeep Wrangler transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Jun 032013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I have been waiting for this part (transmission oil cooler tube) since last July. I called immediately to have it addressed by my dealer and they put me on a waiting list. Almost a year later (and several phone calls during this year to them) I am still on that waiting list. My recall states: "...operating the vehicle with insufficient transmission fluid may cause damage to the transmission and a loss of transmission function which may increase the risk of a crash." I am supposed to be okay with this? I tried to trade it in for a newer model, but the dealer did not give me a decent deal. My Jeep is only a year old.

- Mason, OH, USA

Aug 042010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Automatic transmission with 'electronic range select' allows a downshift with a move of the shift lever to the left when in 'd' drive. A move to the right up-shifts. Accidental downshifts occur frequently because of 'hair-trigger' nature of shift lever controls. The slightest, barely perceptible movement left causes a downshift, often unintended and unexpected. Up-shifting requires a definite movement to the right. Discussion of this issue with 2012 automatic Wrangler drivers on Jeep internet forums suggests a number of people experience and have a problem with this, while a number of drivers state their shifter requires a definite move left to downshift. I experience frequent, accidental downshifts on every trip due to this defect. Current mileage on this vehicle is 1100 miles. Sudden deceleration due to accidental downshifts can cause loss of traction on unpaved, gravel, icy or snowy roads, confusion, disorienting, and over-revving the engine.

- Kneeland, CA, USA