2013 Jeep Wrangler engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Jeep Wrangler:

2013 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 042015

Wrangler

Driving down the road another driver pulled up yelling that my car was on fire. I pulled over, saw the smoke and then the flames from under the hood. Fire and rescue determined it was an electrical fire. I had just had the safety recall taken care of for the mirrors last month and my state inspection done 4 days prior. It is at the shop currently under "investigation" by the dealership to determine the cause.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Mar 192015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle shifted into park and restarted. When the accelerator pedal was applied, it traveled to the floorboard but the vehicle would not move. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 37,580.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Jan 092015

Wrangler 6-cyl

My truck has been brought in for service twice for repeatedly stalling while in motion. It has been at the dealership service department for a combined 56 days. I first brought the vehicle in for service on 1/13/2015, after the vehicle stalled on 1/9/2015 while driving 70 mph, and 1/13/2015 when accelerating to 50 mph. My vehicle was cleared to pick up on 1/24/2015 following service that included computer updates, physical inspection, and road testing. My vehicle stalled again on 2/5/2015 while driving on a highway entrance ramp. In all three cases, the vehicle started without assistance in about ten minutes. I immediately returned my vehicle to the dealership for service. I was informed that the service department would contact the manufacturer to send a technician to inspect my vehicle. They never did. On 3/6/2015, I contacted Jeep customer service requesting additional help. My case was referred to a special case manager where my concerns were rudely dismissed. I have been contacted multiple times by the dealership to pick up my truck since 3/11/2015, despite the failure of the service department to identify what is causing the vehicle to stall. I do not feel the truck is safe to drive. I have a family and will not put them at risk because the dealership and manufacturer are being negligent. I will not pick up the vehicle until the problem is identified and repaired, or the vehicle is replaced. I have seen a similar case involving a 2013 Jeep Wrangler that stalls for unidentified reasons posted on the NHTSA web site. This also sounds similar to the recent GM recall due to defective ignition systems that resulted in stalling and caused numerous fatalities. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

- Nutley, NJ, USA

Dec 022014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The car began to idle roughly--it would rattle and shake just sitting at a red light. If I tried to just roll the vehicle slightly forward, it would stutter. Check engine light came on, but the manual informs to wait a few drive cycles to see if it will just turn off. Pulled the diagnostic code (P0306) and it was a cylinder 6 misfire issue. Took car in on 9 Dec 2014 and the entire left cylinder column was replaced. On 24 Dec 2014, the same issues began to occur and the check engine light illuminated with the same diagnostic code. Car will be taken in on 26 Dec 2014 for service.

- Vista, CA, USA

Nov 222014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle was in park, when I put it into drive, the engine shut off. Did this 4 times before I was able to keep it going. Got down the road, and when I stopped at the stop sign, engine quit again. Also Jeep would not go into drive it was stuck in neutral. After several attempts, Jeep went into drive. From there every time the vehicle stopped the engine would stall. No check engine lights came on, no warnings no nothing.

- Port Clinton , OH, USA

Nov 142014

Wrangler 6-cyl

In several occasions the Jeep would completely turn off at red lights or after complete stops. I took the Jeep to the dealership 4 different times and was told nothing was wrong. On Friday 11/14/14 I was going 60 mph on the highway when the Jeep suddenly lost speed and immediately turned off/stalled, I lost steering power. It was very difficult to get out of the traffic. The Jeep did not turn back on until 45 minutes later as I waited for the tow truck. I was again told by the dealership that the computer diagnosis is not detecting any malfunction, really"?"

- Horizon City, TX, USA

Jul 012013

Wrangler

The hill start assist malfunctions constantly, this can stall the engine when starting out in traffic and cause excessive ware on the brakes and clutch. There are 2 switches that tell the computer when the clutch pedal is pressed. One when you first start to press in the clutch and another that tells the computer when the clutch is pressed in all the way. The hill start assist is programmed to use the switch that tells the computer when you first start to press in the clutch instead of the switch that tells the computer when the clutch pedal is fully pressed. This causes the brakes to stay locked up even after the clutch is fully engaged when starting on a hill. The computer needs to be reprogrammed to release the brakes as soon as you start to release the clutch petal before the clutch fully engages. The hill start assist should use the same switch that tells the computer the clutch is fully pressed which is the same switch that is used to prevent the vehicle from starting in gear and not the switch that tells the computer when the pedal is lightly pressed which is the switch that turns off the cruise control.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 032014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The affected parts in my 2013 Jeep Wrangler unlimited is the transmission (mileage 27,200). This event has occurred several times since the first time it was taken into the dealership in April 2014. I will be driving and the vehicle will not shift into gear (I have an automatic transmission). Doesn't matter how fast or slow I am going or if I am on flat and hilly roads. I will have to punch the gas and accelerate to 60-65 mph before the gear shifts. It scares me especially when I am only driving 30-40 mph. The RPM's will be up to 5000 and finally the vehicle will shift gears. The first time it was serviced for the problem (April 3, 2014) the mechanic did have the problem happen to him when driving my vehicle. They found a vacuum hose disconnected from the air-inlet elbow. Once they fixed that it seemed like the problem subsided briefly(3 weeks) then right back to gears not shifting. I have taken back to the dealership 2 other times now and they can not find anything wrong, of course!!! I love my Jeep, but feel very unsafe when driving it. I am not sure what I should do now, especially with the mechanic saying he cant find anything wrong.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Jun 102014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Safety recall N28/NHTSA 13V-234 transmission oil cooler tube. I called as soon as I got the recall notice. The dealer told me to call back in a month or so because the item(s) were back ordered! I am calling approximately 1 1/2 months later. The part(s) is nationally back ordered! I called today, 8/14/2014 and it is still back ordered!!!! what am I supposed to do, continue driving the vehicle with the risk of crashing?!

- Rising Sun, MD, USA

Mar 052014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Chrysler has recalled my Jeep: Safety recall N28/NHTSA 13V-234, transmission oil cooler tube. My dealer lucas Chrysler and Jeep, 1624 New Jersey 38, lumberton, NJ 08048, told me that Chrysler issues one part for this recall every 2 weeks. They also told me that they have a list of over 25 customers who need to have this recall performed. At that rate it would take me close to a year to have this dangerous condition corrected. I drive 120 miles/day to and from work. This dangerous condition is unacceptable.

- Lumberton, NJ, USA

May 162014

Wrangler 6-cyl

This is specifically regarding the N28/NHTSA 13V-234 transmission oil cooler tube recall. We have waited for perhaps a year for the specified part to be delivered to the dealer. I am now faced with moving overseas with the military and cannot ship my vehicle until all recalls are remedied. This is unacceptable.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jul 012013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have received several notices about the N28 transmission oil cooler tube recall and have not had any luck at the dealer getting my recall repairs completed. Each time I go in for service I ask about the status and each time I'm told there are no parts available. I was also told that the parts for the recall are on back order and the dealer only gets 2 kits in each month. I was told that I am in line for the repair but they could not tell me where I am in line or how long it will be before the repair is even possible.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 012013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I have been receiving recall notices (N28 / NHTSA 13V-234 transmission oil cooler tube) for roughly a year now but every time I ask the dealer about it I get a song and dance about how it is Chrysler fault that they are not getting the parts out. Come on now, a year" 3 notices and no parts"

- Wilkinson, IN, USA

Apr 072014

Wrangler 6-cyl

After disconnecting the battery for a period of 24 hours, reconnected the battery positive terminal then negative terminal. Tried to start the Jeep and dash reads hotoil, check tpm system, sway bar light and check/service engine light on and engine will not start/ even crank over. The key fob will not unlock or lock doors. The last thing is that cant disarm Jeep security system.

- Clinton, UT, USA

Oct 012013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I received a safety recall notice N28/NHTSA 13V-234 for the transmission oil cooler tube in Oct. 2013. 5 months later I'm still being told by my dealer that I'm on a waiting list to have this taken care of. I don't know what the NHTSA's definition of remedying this defect within a reasonable time is, however, 5 months definitely seems excessive to me for a recall that states "the loss of transmission function may increase the risk of a crash".

- Randolph, NJ, USA

Nov 292013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Went to the dealership to have this recall service performed. Was told there were no parts available, that I would be put on a very long list of customers waiting for a part to arrive. This dealership only gets 1 part every 2 weeks. There are hundreds of names on the list prior to mine. How can this be acceptable?

- Hollywood, MD, USA

Dec 102013

Wrangler

Received a notification that there was a recall lin Dec. 2013. Safety recall N28/NHTSA 12V-234 transmission oil cooler tube. Called dealer to set up appt. They put me on a waiting list telling me they only receive 1-2 parts a week. Called back Feb 24, 2014. They still have no parts. Now there's no waiting list now. Letter said to report it if it's not fixed in a reasonable amount of time, so here's the report. Dealer is clear lake Jeep just outside of houston, tx.

- Rosharon, TX, USA

Aug 152013

Wrangler 6-cyl

This pertains to NHTSA 13V-234. I was first notified of this by Chrysler in August/2013. Finally in November, I was allowed to bring my Jeep in to the dealer for inspection. They confirmed parts must be replaced and they were ordered. Now I am informed by the dealer and a phone call to Chrysler, that they will only allow their dealers to obtain replacement parts once every 14 days. I am further informed that there are many people in front of me on the dealer's list so with only being able to order 2 replacement parts per month, it could be months before my Jeep is repaired. My wife is afraid of driving the vehicle with this issue looming. Can this safety recall really be treated this way by Chrysler" is there something NHTSA can do"

- Lake Elmo, MN, USA

Nov 272013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Re: safety recall N28/NHTSA 13V-234 transmission oil cooler tube in contact with the power steering fluid tube which may cause a loss of transmission fluid and result in a loss of transmission function which will increase the risk of a crash. I received recall notice approximately 2 months ago. I contacted the dealer (billy bender Chrysler Jeep Dodge) where I purchased the vehicle. They stated that they had me on a waiting list to get the required parts. It has been one month without notice that the safety recall parts were supposed to be ordered so I contacted the dealer again to check on parts. Dealer advised me that I was currently 9th on the list to receive the safety recall parts. However, Chrysler Jeep was only sending the dealer one (1) set of parts per month so it would be approximately 9 months before they will have the parts to fix my vehicles' safety recall. This is unacceptable for a safety recall to go 2 months without repair let alone for Chrysler to only supply only one part per month to dealers which will add 9 additional months (since I'm 9th on the waiting list) to get a safety recall fixed!!!!

- Keyser, WV, USA

Nov 012013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Drove my Jeep about 45 min.to my son's house turned off the key got out of the Jeep and left it for about 45 min. When I came back to it, it was steal running with the keys in my pocket. And it was covered with steam I thought it was going to catch fire we tried to turn the motor off by putting the key back in but it steel ran for about 30 more min. Before we pulled the fuel pump fuse out. Jeep and the dealer I got the Jeep from has not been able to find the problem and have almost called me a liar. I am afraid of the Jeep after hearing about the fire problems Jeep has been having. Buy the way the fan to keep the engine cool was not running any of this time. I don't know what this Jeep will do next, that's the scary part.

- Somerset, KY, USA