3.8

2013 Jeep Wrangler engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Jeep Wrangler:

2013 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Oct 202015

Wrangler

A week ago I noticed when I started the Jeep in the morning the air bag and the traction control lights on the dash came on. The cruise control quit working along with the radio controls on the steering wheel. The Jeep is parked on the street. I disconnected the battery for about 30 min. I reconnected the battery and started it up. The air bags and traction control lights were still on in the dash. The steering controls do not work. The Jeep was parked in front of my house on the street.

- Holtville, CA, USA

Sep 222015

Wrangler

I was driving down the highway at 70mph. It felt like the cruise control kicked in and the Jeep began to accelerate. I tapped the break however the speed was increasing. I pressed down harder on the gas and the car slowed some but as soon as I let off the brake the car would speed up. I pressed down on the break and was able to get over to the side of the highway. A red warning light came on. I had to press the break to the floor and pull the parking break. The rear tires were still spinning so I shut the Jeep off and called a tow truck. The Jeep was towed to the nearest dealership. The Jeep is still at the dealership and they are unable to find anything wrong with it. I'm suppose to pick it up however I'm afraid to begin driving the Jeep again.

- Milan, MI, USA

Jun 202015

Wrangler

My ABS brakes come on at low speeds usually when I'm just starting out driving. The only way for me to continue driving is to disable the skid control. The ABS lights will stay on and the ante skid control light will stay on for a brief amount of time sometimes it will go off and sometimes it will just stay on. The only time that it seems to not happen is when the car is on a flat surface and I just started out and all tires are straight. I tested a theory that I could put it in 4 wheel drive and start driving and the anti-lock brakes wouldn't come on and that work for the longest time. The minute I described it to a friend of mine and tested it out it failed anti-lock brakes came on when I was in 4 wheel drive at low speed.

- Dayton, TX, USA

Mar 192015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle shifted into park and restarted. When the accelerator pedal was applied, it traveled to the floorboard but the vehicle would not move. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 37,580.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Nov 142014

Wrangler 6-cyl

In several occasions the Jeep would completely turn off at red lights or after complete stops. I took the Jeep to the dealership 4 different times and was told nothing was wrong. On Friday 11/14/14 I was going 60 mph on the highway when the Jeep suddenly lost speed and immediately turned off/stalled, I lost steering power. It was very difficult to get out of the traffic. The Jeep did not turn back on until 45 minutes later as I waited for the tow truck. I was again told by the dealership that the computer diagnosis is not detecting any malfunction, really"?"

- Horizon City, TX, USA

Aug 192014

Wrangler

My wife and I had just left a local business mid-day on a warm dry summer day. Was less than a block away and traveling slowly at approx 20 mph. Applied brake as we rolled up to a stop sign. Engine started to increase RPM on its own requiring evermore increasing brake pedal pressure in an attempt to come to a stop. Standing on the brake pedal engine RPM reached 2500. I put the gear select into neutral. The brakes grabbed, the engine RPM shot up and returned to standard idle. I put the car in drive and car behaved normal after that. This has occurred approx 6 times over past year. Took it to dealer twice with no resolution. Floor mats secure and locked down. I drive right foot only and brake cleanly and square on the brake pedal. This only occurs at low speed, when engine is warm, and even squealed the tires ( burned rubber ) once. Must slam into neutral to get it to stop.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Feb 112014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Right hand drive sport unlimited. Cruise control failed to set until after multiple attempts, cruise control disengaged, cruise control refused to disengage when applying brakes. Windshield wipers intermittently turn on by themselves. Turn signals turn on intermittently without driver input.

- Lockhart, TX, USA

Nov 052012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Appx. Nine months ago I received a recall for the transmission oil cooler tube(N28 / NHTSA 13V-234) I went to don avee dealer in placentia, ca. They put me on a waiting list. I checked with them three or four months ago and they tell me that Jeep will not send out enough parts to repair the problem. I`ve been told when Jeep sends the dealer the part they will contact who ever is next on the waiting list.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Mar 172014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph, the cruise control would shut off if the vehicle hit a bump. Also, the contact stated that while sitting in vehicle with engine off, the doors would unlock and the signals would flash. Both failures have occurred thirty two times over a period of six months. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who could not duplicate the failures. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 19,900.

- Barrington, RI, USA

Oct 212013

Wrangler 6-cyl

While backing out of a parking space, I was moving the shifter to reverse and heard a clunk sound. It was not a smooth shift. Immediately the check engine light came on. I backed the vehicle out of space and move the automatic shifter to drive and heard another clunking noise. The check engine light stayed on. As I tried to pick up speed the transmission would not shift and the RPM's went higher and higher. We drove the car up to 40 mph and the transmission would not shift. So we decided to take the car home and not operate the vehicle as the transmission was not shifting properly or not at all.

- Hill City, KS, USA

Aug 272013

Wrangler

TL- the contact owns a 2013 Jeep Wrangler. A recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V234000 (power train, steering) was received. The contact attempted to make an appointment but was informed that the part was unavailable and no time frame was given. The contact has not experienced any issues. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 6000.-

- Queensbury, NY, USA