7.4

2016 Jeep Wrangler drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Wrangler:

2016 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Sep 042016

Wrangler

Manual transmission gear shift lever gets really sloppy gear shift almost hits floor and rotates

- Cornwall, NY, USA

Jun 262016

Wrangler

Broken shifter. Was out in the country and after lunch I was about to start driving back home and felt the shifter kinda loose. As I pulled into the highway I noticed I wasn't able to shift 5th or 6th gear and then noticed the shifter was able to rotate... crazy. It was very difficult to select a gear, good thing is that I was already on the highway and no need to downshift although had to drive only in 5th gear as it was impossible to select 6th gear. I am close to the highway so as soon as I pulled off the highway, I drove home; it was a bit scary; I thought I had broken something. As soon as I got home and parked my Jeep I contacted a couple of friends and told me to either take it to the dealer the next day or call roadside assistance as maybe a tow truck would be needed. Next day in the morning, decided to give it a try and drove it, very carefully, to the dealer (is like 3 miles away from my place). Once there, the technician told me she hadn't seen or known of a similar issue and that yes, the shifter was either loose or broken. Fixed under warranty in 4 days, no explanation. I told her when I picked it up that to me it was a safety issue and I had drove it without knowing the full extent of the issue.

- Novi, MI, USA

Sep 012016

Wrangler

The shifter on my manual 2016 Jeep Wrangler broke today while I was getting on the highway. It almost caused a bad accident. There are 4,000 miles on the car. It felt like it became disengaged and was turning sideways and making crackling sounds, like broken bones. It became difficult to put into gear or to know which gear the car was in. I managed to pull over and am waiting for roadside assistance. A quick glance through a Jeep forum and I found many others with the same exact description. All 2016 Jeep Wrangler. They mention having to replace a faulty part (52060064ag). Issues are starting to become well documented here: www.wranglerforum.com/showthread.php?P=27212978

- Clayton, MO, USA

Jun 012016

Wrangler

Manual transmission will not stay in reverse and pops out of gear. When backing up your have to hold it in which takes alot of force but still pops out 95% of the time. Been this way since we bought it. Only 3500 miles on the vehicle.

- Mckeesport, PA, USA

Aug 022016

Wrangler

My 2016 manual Jeep rubicon unlimited (approx 14K miles) drove/shifted fine on my way to work (about 3 miles, very light traffic) last night, but when I got back in the Jeep to head home, the stick-shift was all caddy wompus and I struggled to get it into gear to back out of my parking space. It felt like it had twisted sideways and fallen down. To get it into 1st gear, I had to shove it far to the left toward the steering wheel, and for 2nd gear, I had to practically jam the shifter into my leg. Finding neutral and reverse was tricky--the whole shifter mechanism felt like broken bones and mush. I was able to get it home (thankfully a short drive on back roads where I could go slow and there was no traffic) but was baffled by how it was fine earlier, then suddenly junk. Thankfully I was not on the highway or on a trip somewhere with my daughter in the Jeep. A tow truck picked it up this morning at our home because driving it 16 miles to the dealer in the city in heavy traffic (not knowing if shifting would be an option) seemed very dangerous. The rep at the Jeep dealer said he had never seen this before, however I discovered many people on wranglerforum.com have reported the exact same issue. Without hearing back from the dealer yet to verify, it appears to be the 52060064ag lever gearshift / bushing that has malfunctioned/broken. I am very disappointed that my first ever american made vehicle feels like cheap junk. In addition to this potentially very serious issue, there have been other minor irritating issues such as the driver side mirror simply falling off while driving, and the fender over the rear wheel falling off. Things like this should not happen with a new "tough" (and relatively expensive) vehicle. I am disappointed and, frankly, pissed. Does quality even exist anymore?

- Suttons Bay, MI, USA

Jul 302016

Wrangler

2016 Jeep Wrangler unlimited black bear edition 6 speed manual. Shift lever is making clicking sound when shifting. Shifter can rotate 360 degrees. Feels loose when shifting and interferes with put Jeep into gear. Unable to drive vehicle until it gets fixed. Is covered under power train warrenty. Only had the Jeep for 6 months.

- Shillington, PA, USA

Jul 302016

Wrangler

I have an automatic Jeep rubicon 2016 unlimited. It died during motion after shifting to reverse from drive. I was doing a sharp turn where I needed to go back immediately and just when I shift reverse (during pressing the brakes like normally everybody does) it shut down. Then, I put in park and started it again and it didn't recognize the reverse (idling but not moving). I had to put it off (after shifting to park) and start it again. At the second time it recognized reverse and worked fine for now. No codes during the incident. My case is similar to the complaint: NHTSA id number: 10850113.

- San German, PR, USA

May 222016

Wrangler

While driving on city streets the manual transmission's shift lever became loose making it difficult to shift into any gear. The lever would rotate 360 degrees around its center and eventually come completely off of its mount. When rotated, the offset in the shift lever being at a new angle would lead to shifting being obstructed by the driver or passenger's legs and seats. After coming off of its mount while stationary gear selection became impossible without repair. Dealer would eventually complete a repair under warranty. Items noted on the service order: Lever: 52060064ag, screw: 6506668aa, PCM update flashed

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 162016

Wrangler

Manual gear lever spins making the vehicle impossible to shift. Happened overnight.

- Medford, OR, USA

Jul 072016

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle failed to shift to fourth, fifth or sixth gear. In addition, the contact stated that vehicle also failed to shift the reverse. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the shifter assembly was fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 8,000.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

Jun 292016

Wrangler

The connection of the gear shifter to the manual transmission breaks, leaving you stuck in whatever gear it was last in, and basically stranded. I personally was in a parking garage when it occured, others have been on and off all kinds of roads. See this link for the collection of others having this problem: www.wranglerforum.com/F202/16-jku-manual-6-speed-broken-shifter-1625138.html

- Emmaus, PA, USA

Jun 162016

Wrangler

2016 Jeep Wrangler unlimited RHD. The check engine light and traction light came on while driving. Restarted the vehicle and traction went off. Check engine went off later that day, but came back on. Traction was intermittent, but would turn off when restarted. Next day, check engine light and traction came on and twice while moving the engine died. I lost total control of vehicle, but was going slow at the time. Once on a curve and the other time while turning. Second time was toward a deep ditch, but stopped short. This is very dangerous. Quality motors tried to fix once. Will take back tomorrow when they could fit it in.

- Independence, KS, USA

Feb 012016

Wrangler

2016 Jeep Wrangler. Consumer writes in regards to engine warning light on dashboard, engine noises and no acceleration when gas pedal is depressed issues. The consumer stated when her husband drove the vehicle, the engine light did not illuminate. However he did have to push the accelerator pedal more than usual. Two weeks later, while driving at a speed of 40-45 mph, the consumer heard a loud noise and noticed the RPM was at 5,000 and going to 6,000. The vehicle was shaking and the engine was making loud grinding noises. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer. They stated there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. Two weeks later, as before, the engine became loud, the RPM went to 5,000 and for the second time, the number 1 surrounded by a square lit up on the dash board after the letter D. the vehicle only reached a speed of 10-15 mph.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Apr 232016

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate at 15 mph, the vehicle became stuck in low gear without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer however, the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred three times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 725.

- Greenfield, IN, USA

Mar 162016

Wrangler

I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler unlimited with 20,000 miles., today I was going up a hill stopped at a mailbox then started to take off and the motor stalled while in drive. It cased me to roll back about 3' befor I could hit the brake almost caused a accident. I then restarted the Jeep placed it back in drive and it wouldn't move! it acted like it was in neutral. I also tried reverse still wouldn't do nothing. So I rolled to a flat spot in the road check the trans fluid, it was good then turned it of checked the oil, it was good to. Then started it back up and put it in drive and it was working fine again!

- Gatlinburg, TN, USA