3.3

2013 Kia Optima fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Kia Optima:

2013 Kia Optima Owner Comments

Sep 232016

Optima

Gdi engine burns oil, connecting rod failed. White smoke, and makes weird noise under hood when gets to 60mph

- Yukon, OK, USA

Oct 252015

Optima

Difficult to keep car centered while driving. Steering wheel makes a clunking noise and has become jerry with small movements. Tendency to pull hard to the left or rights. Steering wheel jenks when traveling on error any size bump in road. Back up camera cuts in and out. Never obtain epaulets fuel milage estimates.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 012015

Optima

My vehicle has 80K miles on it and is serviced meticulously. I lost all power trying to accelerate onto the freeway and was almost ran down by a dump truck. I was able to limp my vehicle to the Kia dealership to find out the problem was the high-pressure fuel pump. I assumed that it would be covered under the 100K warranty only to find out that even though the car won't run without the fuel pump, it is not covered under the powertrain warranty. I can only assume that they have eliminated this problem from warranty because there have been so many cases of high-pressure pump failures on Kia's.. I will never buy another Kia product!!

- Ogden, UT, USA

Jul 232014

Optima

Fuel will heat up and bubble out of fuel tank after extended periods of idling. 4 hours idling with 3/4 full fuel tank. Liquid fuel and vapors escaping from gas cap and dripping down the side of the car.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 132015

Optima

Vehicle in reverse backing up on steep driveway, foot on fuel pedal, car began its automated hill holding function, while in reverse, heard high RPM, transmission was slipping into neutral, car began rolling forward, put foot on brake, brake failed, car accelerated rapidly, and engine died, then hit the wall inside the garage. I estimated, speed at time of impact approximately 10 to 15 mph. Noticed another entry filed similar to this, had same fuel, brake fail symptoms.

- Howard, OH, USA

Sep 222014

Optima

About 1 month ago my fuel pump went out. I have a 2013 Kia Optima. I was at 62,000 miles when it went out, which meant it was not covered under warranty. I had it replaced at the local dealership, it cost around $800 to replace. Now less that 2 months later I am having some hesitation and jerking in the car. Had the car troubleshoot and it's not the temp sensor. The car is too new for things like this to happened. Once I get rid of it, I will never buy another Kia, or will I allow my family and friend to.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Nov 182013

Optima

This has happened three times now, and just the third this past weekend so I am finally writing a complaint. My Kia has a faulty map sensor, the dealer says, and when it goes out (about every 2 months) my car completely dies on me; I have no acceleration, brakes lock up and my power steering is gone. This is a very dangerous situation since two of the three occurrences have been on the highway. When it happens, I am forced to yank the steering wheel to a shoulder and let the car come to a stop. Sometimes it restarts, sometimes it does not. In all three instances, my car has had to be towed. This is very dangerous for not only me by anyone in the car with me as well as any other Kia driver's out there. I have filed my complaint with Kia Consumer Affairs but they do not offer a replacement, just money. While I appreciate the offer, money does not do anything for my confidence in driving the car. It is a brand new car, just one year old. I fear for my life each time I drive my car but I have no other option, I drive a lot for work. All I am seeking is a replacement car, I love the car and all it offers but it does not perform well at all and I am very fearful of this. Please help if you can or if you have had similar issues.

- Lagrange, IL, USA