2006 Kia Rio seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Kia Rio:

2006 Kia Rio Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 012010

Rio 4-cyl

Component: Air bags:frontal details: The drivers side airbag in my 2006 Kia Rio is apparently not working. Its warning light came on a little over a year ago, and has remained as such for ever.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 092011

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Rio. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag light was illuminated. The contact had the front passenger seat replaced due to a faulty air bag sensor in the front passenger seat. One month after the repairs, the air bag sensor malfunctioned a second time. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for further diagnostics or repairs. The contact was concerned that the passenger side air bag may not deploy in the event of a crash. The failure mileage was 78,152.

- Harrison, OH, USA

Mar 012011

Rio 4-cyl

I have a Kia Rio 2006 my air bag light on my dashboard came on all of a sudden. My car has not been in any accidents at all. I took it to the Kia dealer ship in South Florida paid $130 for the service department to run a diagnostic test for them to advise me my sensors are bad on my Kia Rio 2006 the service department wanted to charge me over $3,000 to replace the sensors as the service manager said that the sensor went bad. I feel as a safety feature and knowing my vehicle has never been in any kind of accident theses sensors should not need to be replaced. It is frustrating knowing that it is not too safe to drive my children in my car and this is the only reliable transportation I have.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

May 142011

Rio 4-cyl

I was involved in a three car accident on May 14th at about 1:15 P.M.. I was driving my 2006 Kia Rio slightly under 30 mph when I was struck from behind by a vehicle going much faster, but undetermined speed. I was pushed into an SUV in front of me. My hood and front end crumpled, but the air bags did not deploy. I was wearing my seatbelt, but still hit my chest against the steering wheel and fractured two vertebrae in my spine. The occupants of the other two cars were not injured. The failure is that none of the airbags in the Kia deployed. I had no warning lights that the system was not working properly or needed maintenance. There is no correction to be done; the car was completely totaled.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Aug 142006

Rio 4-cyl

Purchased a 2006 Kia Rio new. About eight months ago or so the "air bag off" light would be on when someone was seated in the passenger seat, Kia replaced the seat sensors, but nothing else in the system. A factory mechanic inspected the car and said it was working properly. They could not fix the problem to this day. I have been told that when the light is on that the air bag will not deploy in an accident. Kia makes a very poor product. I have a transmission leak and I went to the dealer and they said the transmission needed to be replaced, but Kia would not honor their warranty even though I changed the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles as they recommend. Kia does not take care of their customers. Someone needs to hold their feet to the fire and make them honor their 100,000 mile warranty.

- Big Pine, CA, USA

Feb 012010

My air bag light came on at about 50,000 miles and will not go off. There has been no accident to the car, no trauma to the bumper at all. The light just doesn't go off.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Jun 012008

Rio 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Kia Rio. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph the vehicle stalled. The vehicle behind her almost rear ended her vehicle. The contact was barely able to drive onto the emergency lane. The vehicle would not pick up speed, it would only coast very slowly. The failure happened twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that they were unable to find a failure. The contact stated that the service manager of the dealership was rude and was banging his fist on the counter. She stated that she felt very intimidated by the ordeal. A diagnostic test was not performed. The vehicle was not repaired. A complaint was filed with the manufacturer. The contact also stated that the vehicle had electrical failures. The failure and current mileages were approximately 74,000. Updated 01/12/11 the consumer stated less than two weeks of owning of the vehicle she was involved in an accident and the air bags failed to deploy. Also, the radio/cd player did not work, and the shifter lights were inoperative. Updated 04/15/11

- Houston , TX, USA

Jun 222010

The contact owns a 2006 Kia rio5. While driving approximately 35-42 mph during rainy weather conditions she engaged the brakes and the vehicle hydroplaned and crashed into the vehicle in front of her. The air bag did not deploy. The contact sustained injuries to her neck and upper back. The passenger was also injured. She was taken out of the vehicle by the fire department. She had no knowledge of whether the passengers in the other vehicle were injured or not. A police report was filed. Her vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure and current mileages were 90,200.

- Golf Shores, AL, USA

Apr 012010

Passenger air bag light randomly comes on with adult passenger in seat indicating that air bag not functioning. Occurs approximately once a week. Dealership has replaced passenger seat cushion twice and it still does not work properly. Dealership is not able to fix the problem. I fear an accident occurring without proper release of air bag resulting in possible serious injury or death. I have seen that there are many complaints of this problem. Kia needs to take responsibility and recall all 2008 Kia Rio for this is a matter of life and death.

- St. Petersburg, FM, USA

Dec 262005

Air bag service>12/26/05 seatbelt faulty, 7/5/06 driver belt pretensioner resistance low, 7/24/06 shorted seat belt, 8/14/06 harness pinched between seatbelt assy & bdy, 6/11/07, code B1448; stabilant applied to OCS connector, 7/22/09 control box replaced as potential malfunction; air bag light came right back on; driver seat now on order to be replaced, 8/11/09 received call seat arrived (21 days with no air bag service, per service representative it was like driving an old car), 8/17/09 dropped off at 8:30am, not exact, (service 8/17 as that is my 9/80 work schedule day off) I received phone call at 230pm that the wrong color seat was received, 8/20/09 I received phone call at 5:01pm that correct color seat had arrived so I scheduled for 8/31/09 (my next 9/80 work schedule day off) for it to be replaced. With the complaints I have seen on this site I am going to contact the regional service manager and something is going to be done! this is not acceptable, warranty is a safety net just in case, not something to be used to cover a lemon of a car!

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Mar 172009

I was driving my Kia Rio. I knew there was a stop approaching. I hit the brakes, the brakes went all the way to the floor and when I tried to turn away from traffic the steering wheel would not move. I hit a Yukon and totaled my car. The airbags never came out.

- Caldwell, OH, USA