CarComplaints.com Notes: The only reason we don't give the 2009 Kia Rio our top award is because of poor side & rear crash test ratings.

2009 Kia Rio seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Kia Rio:

2009 Kia Rio Owner Comments

Oct 132014

Rio

My airbag light will not go off.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 022015

Rio 4-cyl

I was sitting in a parking lot with a friend, when I noticed that my air bag indicator had come on. As I drove away to come ask my father what it meant, the passenger air bag light would repeatedly flash on and off, with her sitting straight in the seat like a normal person. Ever since than the air bag indicator has stayed on and won't go off. As well at the flashing passenger air bag light. I had went online to check for any recalls and it had stated that 2006-2008 had a recall on "air bag cracking". we read up on it and it is the same thing that is wrong with my car. And I'm not the only one that has this problem. Please make it known to Kia that this problem is still ongoing in 2009 models. This should be considered under recall so no further accidents will occur.

- Fort Kent, ME, USA

Nov 012014

Rio 4-cyl

Airbag warning light intermittently going on and off for several days. Brought it to mechanic, they cleaned the wires and plugged everything back in, light went off. The next day the warning light came back on, now constantly on. Able to bring it back to mechanic at a later date and it was diagnosed as passenger lower seat air bag sensor failed and needs to be replaced (code B1448). This is the same issue that was recalled in Kia Rios from 2006-2008. The recall took place in 2012, so the company should have recalled the part for all years up until the recall took place. This is a safety issue that should be addressed immediately by Kia.

- Millbury, MA, USA

May 202014

Rio 4-cyl

We purchased the above car in May 2014 from a Toyota dealer in vancouver wa. After awhile, I as passenger got to looking at an off sign which was on all the time. Looked further to see the words passenger air bag off. Which I assume means in an accident I would not have protection. After 4 trips to hannah Kia in our area, they handed me a Kia technical service bulleting dated Feb.2008 instructing dealers to train the passenger in how to sit on the seat in order to activate the sensor. Which leads me to believe they have known all along a problem exists. I weigh 154# but my weight does not activate the sensor. Using a small 12"X12" pillow I can get it to work sometimes.. this is unacceptble. I would like to know if your receive and act on this. I am going to contact my congressional representative also.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Oct 062014

Rio

The front passenger side air bag turns off intermittently while a passenger is in the front seat and the car is traveling. I believe the front passenger seat sensor for the air bag is defective. I notified Kia motors on 6 Oct 2014 at their customer service number and they refuse to take any action. The customer service representative stated that it was my responsibility.

- Lincoln, IL, USA

Aug 012009

Rio

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Rio. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start intermittently. Following the initial failure, the seat belt and air bag indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on several occasions. The dealer stated that the battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The dealer then stated that they could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 826.

- Parish, AL, USA

Sep 112014

Rio

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Rio. The contact stated that the passenger air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times but the technicians were unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 15,000.

- Northfield, NJ, USA

Feb 222012

Rio

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Rio. The contact stated that the passenger air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times but the technicians were unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 7,000. Updated 05/31/12

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 032010

Rio

A 2009 Kia Rio md. Police report by anne arundel county police. At approximately 1800 hours the vehicle hit black ice at 30-40mph and swerved out of control head on into a wooden power pole. The driver had no problems with the vehicle or driving on this road home from work daily. Within a few minutes of the accident it began to snow. The vehicle sustained major front end damage including crushing the radiator and resulted inthe headlights dangling fromthe vehicle. The driver hit her head on the steering wheel, showed seat belt bruising marks, bruised knees, was in shock and had a severe headache and neck pain. The complaint is that the air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was a dealership loaner vehicle while the drivers car was being serviced. I have no further information on the vehicle after being returned to the dealership.

- Gambrills, MD, USA