Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The only reason we don't give the 2011 Kia Rio our top award is because of mediocre crash test ratings.

2011 Kia Rio seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Kia Rio:

2011 Kia Rio Owner Comments

Dec 172014

Rio 4-cyl

My son was involved in an accident where he rear ended the car in front of him at approximately 35 to 40 mph. The airbag in the steering wheel did not deploy!! luckily, he was wearing his seat belt and suffered bruising on his hip and shoulder. I would like to know why the airbags did not deploy. I have viewed other reports online that reported the same thing where the bags did not deploy....updated 01/07/15

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Mar 282014

I was in collision on 3/28. I hit another car from the back. The airbags did not deploy. I hit my head on the steering wheel. I had my seat belt on. I was sent to the hospital via ambulance. The car was a total loss. Updated 07/16/14 updated 3/17/2015

- New London, CT, USA

Jan 252012

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Rio. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the passenger seat air bag sensor was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 32,000.

- Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, USA

Dec 102011

Volpe tech refresh test

- Cambridge, MA, USA

Sep 062011

The contact owns a 2011 Kia Rio. While driving 70 mph the vehicle crashed into the rear of a truck but the frontal air bags did not deploy. The front of the vehicle had extensive damage. There were no injuries. Police report #tx116X0irx001 was filed. The vehicle was towed by the insurance company. The dealer nor the manufacturer were notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 14,500.

- Spring Branch, TX, USA