5.9

2013 Kia Rio miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Kia Rio:

2013 Kia Rio Owner Comments

Sep 162016

Rio

Just bought a 2013 Rio with 28,000 miles on it on 9/2/16. The car sat in our driveway all last week because we were on vacation, so we maybe put 100 miles on it and drove it 4 times. Drove 20 minutes round trip to the post office yesterday, parked in driveway and went back into house to work. Wife came home from work about 10 minutes later and came running in the house saying the new car is on fire. Called 911 and before fire department was able to get there, the flames were as high as our second floor windows. Car was parked about 10-15 feet away from house, but the heat damaged part of our house as well. I have contacted insurance, but I really feel this is a Kia issue / problem, and we really should not have to use insurance to replace the car. This car is still under manufacture warranty, and they need to be held accountable. Then last night after the tow company came, we started researching this and have found many, many 2012-2014 Kia's doing this. I logged a complaint on your Kia's website, but have not got a response back yet, and yes, I feel I should get a response over the weekend. Our car burst into flames, damaged part of our house from the heat, and it could of been much worse, especially if I parked the car in the garage yesterday. Would really like to hear from Kia, or other owners that have had this problem. It seems that with all of the google hits about Kia's catching fire, there should have been a recall on any of the models that have had this problem, and get them either fixed, or off of the road, at Kia's expense.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Mar 182014

Rio

I have a couple issues with my 2013 Kia Rio. The first issue is acceleration. Around the 30,000 mi mark, I took my car to have the recommended service which included an induction svc. Since then my car has not had the same good acceleration ability it had when I purchased the car. I've taken the car to two dealerships and have been told that this is just normal wear on the car. The second is something with the starter, battery, alternator, etc. I use the word "something" because no one has been able to pinpoint what is the problem. I bought a new battery on May 18, 2015. Post that battery purchase, the car did not start on June 27, 2015 (I had to get a jump). This no crank was post a battery, starter and alternator check by the dealership on May 23, 2015. By the way, the tests all came back finding no fault. I had two more no crank situations on July 19 and August 2, 2015. I've taken it back to the dealership after July 19 and have been told by Kia that this will happen when it's hot. I don't believe them because I bought the car in the hell of St. Louis, mo summer at 55 miles in 2012 and did not have this recurrent problem until recently.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA