2014 Kia Rio seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Rio:

2014 Kia Rio Owner Comments

Mar 182016

Was side swiped on driver side the curtain airbags never deployed and the aluminum wheels shattered.

- Wilmer, TX, USA

Sep 132015

I was involved in a front to rear car accident. My Kia did not have enough time to brake when the vehicle in front of me (a Honda) stopped suddenly. During the incident my Kia hit the Honda's rear twice (two impact moments) - after the first impact in a moment of panic I hit the gas pedal instead of the brake and hit the Honda once more. The airbags did not go off (my safety concern/complaint). I was glad the air bags did not go off because the gases they release affect my asthma. However, if there was a passenger with me they may have been injured on the dashboard and I also could have been injured by the steering wheel since the air bags did not go off. The entire front of my Kia was ruined: The hood was crumpled, the front bumper came off. The head lights were smashed, and the front sides of the body were cracked out of place. There was a crack in the box attached to the steering wheel as if it was going to open to release the air bags but nothing happened. I am not sure how much stronger the impact needed to be in order to trigger the sensor for the airbags - the impact was pretty intense. I do have images of the impact to my vehicle if it will be helpful to understand why the airbags did not release.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Aug 312014

Rio 4-cyl

Rio slid terrible after trying to go around a stopped vehicle and the steering was loose and when we hit the trailer on the side. The air bag on drivers side did not deploy and the passenger bag busted the passenger's sternum and a sharp metal piece appears to be in her leg as some were removed. In addition, the seat belt would not come unhooked as she was pinned tight in the car. A truck driver who stopped before he hit us by running down the road had to cut the seat belt as passenger in shock. Horrible crappy handling and skid was unacceptable as it did not slow down...updated 11/25/14 updated 12/03/14.. updated 12/29/14 updated 9/25/15

- Dacono, CO, USA

Aug 052014

A 2014 Kia Rio involved in a horrific crash. Air bags did not deploy" why"

- Orangeburg, SC, USA