2007 Kia Spectra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Kia Spectra:

2007 Kia Spectra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 272014

Spectra 4-cyl

On my way to work I took the same route that I always take. I was going about 25mph and all of a sudden all of the lights came on ( check oil, battery, emergency brake, tire pressure, airbag, and check engine) the steering wheel completely locked up causing my car to swerve right into a community mail box. My windshield is broken, the front passenger side is off and the two passenger side tires are both flat. When I got my car in March of this year three days after I got it it had started doing this I took it back and it was in the shop for more than 3 months. When they had told me this problem was fixed I trusted that they were right but unfortunately it led me to this... the dealership has not returned my phone call and my insurance does not cover for a rental car. I have 2 children and my job does not pay me enough to just pay and get a new car or pay and have this car fixed. I am very unhappy with the responses about this car. Why would these cars be sold to people.

- Ruidoso , NM, USA

Feb 042008

Spectra 4-cyl

Driver passed out making left turn going 5 mph and hit the concrete pole for the traffic light on the East side of U.S. 19.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Sep 302014

Spectra 4-cyl

Front passenger seat failed to register an adult in seat and "passenger air bag off" light remained illuminated. Two days later the air bag warning light illuminated and "passenger air bag off" would not stay on when seat was empty. Kia dealership determined it was a failed occupant sensor mat. Approximate cost of repair is $1500.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 032013

The air bag warning light illuminated while an adult passenger was in the front seat. During a visit to our local Kia dealership we were told the airbag sensor mat in the passenger seat was defective and the seat (where the module was located) needed to be replaced. Cost $1008 for the part, and $222 for labor. Since the 60,000 mile warranty had expired, there was no warranty coverage. When we contacted the Kia motor corporation to ask for financial assistance with this repair, we were told there was nothing they could do. An air bag sensor should not be considered a wear-and tear item. It is absurd that Kia would require the consumer to cover the cost of replacing a defectively designed safety component. There should be a recall for this component and replacement at no cost for those owners whose air bag sensors are found to be defective.

- Oneonta, NY, USA

Aug 052008

I have always had a problem with the passenger side airbag light, no matter the weight of the person it sometimes says its off. Have taken it to dealer and they have no solution, they cannot even diagnose it because there is no error code stored. This is supposed to be a safe car and it scares me to even drive with a passenger. Need to have a recall.

- Sun City, AZ, USA

Apr 072014

Front passenger seat air bag sensor is defective. Weight sensor on dash will not work and the air bag symbol is turned on the dash.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Mar 242007

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Spectra. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag warning indicator illuminated, which indicated that the air bag was deactivated. The indicator had been illuminated since the vehicle was bought brand new. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. When the vehicle was taken in for inspection, the mechanic discovered that the driver side cluster indicator on the air bag was constantly illuminated. The vehicle failed the inspection. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 10.

- Locust Grove, VA, USA

Feb 032014

Spectra 4-cyl

Air bag sensor light comes on and off randomly. Will stay on for weeks then go off. Has happened since purchase of car.

- Julian, NC, USA

Aug 012009

Spectra 4-cyl

Reporting 3 issues: ***fuel system: In July 2009, one month after I purchased my used 2007 Kia Spectra (46K miles), the vehicle stalled at idle/low RPM while in traffic on an interstate highway. Once restarted, it continued to stall at every idle until a significant amount of fuel was consumed. Almost 5 years later, the problem is ongoing. Stalling occurs if the fuel tank is filled (to the point of automatic pump shut-off). The tank has never been "topped off". in August 2011, the stalling was so frequent and hazardous due to traffic conditions that the driver had to press the gas pedal down while braking in order to raise RPM and reduce stalling. The owner has had some success in avoiding the issue by fueling to no more than 80% of tank capacity. The repeated intermittent stalling poses an enormous safety issue, especially on congested roadways. ** bags: On numerous occasions, the passenger air bag indicator light has illuminated (indicating the air bag is turned off) while an adult was seated. ***gear shift and ignition key: Beginning in May 2012, and in numerous instances following, the vehicle would not shift into park. Mechanic discovered a broken safety lock in the shifting mechanism. This problem was not fixed, but overridden by accessing the plastic lever underneath the console and pulling with the left hand while shifting. The ignition key gets stuck frequently (4 out 5 uses) even when the vehicle is in park.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 062012

Spectra 4-cyl

The passenger air bag light on the dash is on. Took to mechanic and they said sensors in seat are bad and would cost $1400 for new seat. I feel this should be covered under warranty as this should not go bad car only has a 85000 miles on it. This means that the passenger airbag wont work in case of accident.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Mar 022014

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Spectra. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, she drove over a road bump that caused her to lose control of the vehicle and crash into a tree. All of the air bags failed to deploy. No injuries were reported. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 80,000.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jun 132013

I was traveling on the highway and fell asleep behind the wheel. I was told that during the time of me falling asleep I was traveling around 90 miles and hour. I suddenly woke up to a sign saying to get over to the next lane due to a sweeper truck cleaning the highway. I remember slowing down all of a sudden and hearing my tires making a loud noise. According to the police report I hit the drivers side fender and my car began spinning around to only be cut of my car with the jaws of life, then being life flighted to the nearest hospital. None of my airbags deployed in the vehicle. My steering wheel ended up sitting on my armrest and my dashboard ended shifting forward towards me with the left side of my dashboard completely falling on my leg. I wanted to share my info with someone so Kia can check into these faulty issues.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 312013

I hit water on the highway causing my car to leave the road. I slid into several trees and completely caved in the driver side door and back fender. Not one air bag deployed at time of impact or after (it has front and side air bags). Luckily I was strapped in with the seat belt and held on for dear life to the steering wheel. Or I would have possibly gotten thrown through the front or side widows. I suffered a torn bicep tendon, whip lash, back pain and trauma to my legs. I will never trust buying a Kia again.

- Elkmont , AL, USA

Jun 022008

Spectra 4-cyl

We bought this car brand new. From day one the front air bag will turn off when I sit in the passenger seat. I am well above the weight minimum at around 140 lbs. And am 5'2". the only way that I can keep the airbag on is to roll up a towel and put that in center of seat when I sit. This is very uncomfortable though. I complained and complained to the dealer. I even offered to have them see how I was sitting as they kept saying it was something that I was doing. But never would fix it. I don't want this to happen when a passenger is in the seat if we were to have an accident. Bought the car for the safety features and this one doesn't even work. Kia should be made to fix this!

- Vermillion, SD, USA

Mar 012013

Passenger airbag indicator failed to turn on when adult passenger sat in seat. Airbag light appeared and was brought to dealership. Was informed issue was a defective OCS mat on passenger side.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Jul 182012

Spectra 4-cyl

Airbags; frontal; sensor/control module: Passenger airbag seat sensor malfunction. The center console passenger seat airbag (yellow occupancy) on/off light would illuminate interment when passenger sat in passenger seat regardless of speed or motion, I.e., shortly after engine startup through shutdown (should have been no light illuminated with passenger in seat). The problem started mid July 2012 and continued intermittently over the next 6 months until the red airbag inoperative light (in the speedometer cluster) came on and remained illuminated in late Dec 2012. Aprox weight of three passengers who frequented the passenger seat over the 6 month period) were 135, 150 and 215 lbs respectively. Passenger (seat) airbag sensor malfunction was confirmed (diagnosed and isolated) by holmes automotive of fort walton beach fl, on 24 Dec 2012. Believe identical problem as NHTSA campaign id nbr 12V244000.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Nov 042011

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Spectra. The contact stated that the driver was traveling at unknown speeds and crashed into another vehicle. Upon impact, the air bags failed to deploy and the seat belt failed to prevent the driver from striking the steering wheel. The contact's vehicle was pushed under the second vehicle involved in the crash. The driver sustained injuries to the eye, fifth vertebrae and a collapsed lung. The police were contacted and a report was filed. The driver was transported to the hospital via ambulance and remained hospitalized for approximately 20 days before passing. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who later diagnosed the vehicle. The results determined that the air bag sensor was not impacted due to the positioning of the vehicle in the crash. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Elmhurst, NY, USA

Aug 052012

Spectra 4-cyl

Car took me off the side of the road and straight into a tree dead center roughly going 35 miles an hour. Air bags did not deploy!!!! hit my head on steering wheel. And now trying to figure out if it was the dealership selling defective cars or if its Kia defect. Not understanding this whole airbag does not deploy thing because the safety graph explains 0-8 mph airbags will never go off 8-14 mph airbags are possible but not likely 14-above airbags should deploy always.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Oct 102010

Spectra 4-cyl

Right front seat air bag sensor, dealer states none of the air bags will deploy in a collision because of this sensor.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jul 062012

Experiencing same problem as below, believe that sensors are identical parts, request assistance to include all Kia models produced during this time period that are experiencing same problem. Problem verified by colonial Kia, colonial heights, va as seat sensor on 6 Jul 12. NHTSA has issued the following safety recall: Make: Kia model: Rio model year: 2007 manufacturer: Kia motors corporation mfr's report date: May 29, 2012 NHTSA campaign id number: 12V244000 NHTSA action number: N/a component: Air bags:frontal:sensor/control module.

- Chester, VA, USA