2007 Kia Spectra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Kia Spectra:

2007 Kia Spectra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 072016

Spectra

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Spectra. The contact stated that the passenger seat pressure sensor for the air bag remained illuminated, even when the passenger seat was unoccupied. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Franklin, MA, USA

Apr 042012

Spectra

I bought the car at 50K miles and started having issues. Seal for windshield popping out, airbag light on passenger side stays on constantly transmission jerking, and doors auto locking in park position. Ball joints no good and had to pay put of pocket. Refused to cover warranty because I didn't buy the car new. Have to call locksmith to get keys out, cause I refuse to brake windows, that also are misaligned on drivers sd causing it to not close fully. Shame they can't warranty their car yet only convenient cover only buyer...smh refused

- Allentown, PA, USA

Feb 022015

Spectra

Passenger air bag light is on and remains on--apparently this indicates that the passenger air bag is defective. Why is this not recalled when so many complain of the same problem in this year and model car?

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

May 252016

Spectra

Owner of the 2007 Kia Spectra brought the car to me to have to looked at due to the airbag light being on. Upon scanning the computer in the car the SRS system coded B1448 which is the passenger side OCS mat sensor failing. This part should be under a recall due to safety issues for the passenger riding in the car

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Apr 172015

Spectra

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Spectra. When the contact started the vehicle, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The air bag warning indicator illuminated every time the vehicle was started. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the occupant sensor mat failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Dec 092015

Spectra

The airbag light came on at around 84,000 miles and the "passenger air bag off" no longer illuminates. Diagnostic testing shows a code B1448 indicating that the OCS, passenger seat sensor has malfunctioned. This is an expensive item to replace, and is definitely a safety issue. I have noticed that this same issue has been reported repeatedly. Because it has to do with passenger safety, I feel this item should be recalled and covered by Kia.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Feb 112015

Spectra 4-cyl

Our vehicle failed inspection due to the air bag light being on. When diagnosed, code B1448 was found, indicating that the occupancy sensor, part of the seat sensor mat (on the bottom of the seat), was faulty. We are concerned both about the safety of driving our car, and the high cost of repair. It seems that this is a widespread problem, and we believe that Kia should recall the part.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Feb 212013

Spectra

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Spectra. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator had illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the OCS mat sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 152,283.

- Seymur, CT, USA

Oct 032015

Spectra

Airbag light is on indicating a fault in the airbag system. The passenger seat OCS mat sensor may be defective. Airbag system will not work in accident.

- Burlington, NC, USA

Aug 012014

Spectra

I own a 2007 Kia Spectra. The the air bag warning light illuminated while driving. The vehicle was diagnosed with code 1448 and was told the OCS mat would need to be replaced costed over $1400. This can cause the airbag to deploy if theres a child sitting in the front passenger seat. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 187,000

- Seymour, CT, USA

Aug 232015

Spectra

Because of a defect in the seats the airbags do not operate. The dealership said the seats would need to be replaced at a cost of $1400 per seat.

- Alto, MI, USA

Aug 312015

Spectra

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Spectra. While turning on the vehicle, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The details of the diagnosis could not be provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 162,000.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Aug 012014

Spectra

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Spectra. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated while driving. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 187,000.

- Seymur, CT, USA

Jul 272015

Spectra

The air bag light on the dash along with the "passenger side air bag off" lights came on and stayed on during a 1 hour trip as we were moving to our new apartment. Luckily we did not have very far to move when this sudden safety hazard arose as we could not move a passenger to the back seat. The sensor did not recognize my wife at a little over 110 lbs. Nor myself at over 175 lbs. After taking it to the local Kia dealership, we were informed that the OCS mat would need to be replaced with a cost of around $1100 for parts and $230 for the labor. It took about a week to resolve the problem.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Oct 172014

Spectra

I no longer have the car, so I cannot provide the VIN number at this time. (I can get it, with some work involved). I have pictures of the car after the crash. I live in rural Iowa. Deer start their rut in October. I swerved to miss a deer, on a two lane road. Went down a 40 foot ditch, nose first. Because the bottom of the ditch was a gully, the front of the roof, the hood, the front lights, etc. Were all destroyed. Not one of their airbags deployed. They are not a part of the news round of airbags, but I want this on record. Again, I can supply pictures, and it will be obvious that at least one of the 8 airbags should have deployed. Please, look into the 2007 Kia Spectra's air bags. Look to see if others have had the same problem. I would appreciate it very much. I am not looking for money, I bought the car for my daughter (when she was six, with the ten year warranty, I intended to pass it on to her, when she got her license..... boy am I glad I was involved in the crash, and not her, seeing is how that is the exact reason why I decided to buy the Kia.

- Eldridge, IA, USA

Feb 012015

Spectra

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Spectra. While attempting to start the vehicle, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the passenger side seat cushion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 118,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Vinton, VA, USA

Apr 012015

Spectra 4-cyl

My indicator on my dash board for an airbag problem came on, upon taking it to a maintenance shop they found out that it was due to a sensor going bad in the passenger seat. After they called multiple places, including the local Kia dealership regarding this problem, they informed me that this is a recurrent issue in my Kia model, so much to the point that a seat may only be attained from the manufacturer with a prolong waiting time because of the high demand for the replacement of them due to this problem. After researching online, many different sources have confirmed this to be true, why is this not a recall? the passenger seat airbag sensor module clearly has a fault, rendering it to have a short life span, this is a safety hazard. If it had gone bad while I was driving with someone in the passenger seat, and happened to encounter an accident, the passenger airbag would not have deployed. Not to mention that the seat module itself is by no means an inexpensive part, consumers should not be expected to pay for a problem that was guaranteed to go bad after a short time, if that was the case it should be stated upon the purchase of the car from the dealership.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Mar 132014

Spectra

As I was driving my 2007 Kia Spectra out of nowhere all my emergency lights came on and my car locked up and turned off while I was exiting the freeway. The steering wheel locked up and I could not turn it to get my car off the road. I then had to put my car in park turn the ignition off then restart it. This has happened more than 3 different times. Also as I am driving, my car starts to slow down like it starves for gas and I have to step on the gas and push the pedal down all the way before it will eventually pick up and go.

- Live Oak, CA, USA

Oct 012010

Spectra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Kia Spectra. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag light illuminated continuously. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the diagnostic test results were unknown. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000. Update (July 9, 2015): It doesn't matter whether there is a passenger in the seat or not, the light stays illuminated. Whether the passenger is 80lbs or 200lbs it doesn't go off. The problem has been noted by several repair shops but has not been repaired. The light has been on since about 2 months after I bought the car so that is where I got the October 1, 2010 date. SC the consumer stated it did not matter whether a passenger was in the seat or not. The air bag light was constantly on. Updated 07/30/15

- Startex , SC, USA

Feb 052014

Spectra

Started car driver side air illuminated and stayed an still on and doesn't go off. And back driver side seat belt is lock and wont come out so no one can ride on that side of car because seat belt does not work.

- Adolphus, KY, USA