2.1

2005 Mercedes-Benz C230 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercedes-Benz C230:

2005 Mercedes-Benz C230 Owner Comments

May 052016

C230

The contact owns a 2005 Mercedes-Benz C230. While the vehicle was parked, it caught on fire. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the wiper motor failed and caused the wire harness to burn. The vehicle was not repaired. The fire department extinguished the fire. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was approximately 156,000.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Oct 172013

C230 4-cyl

On a way from road trip I was driving ( night drive) my headlights went out in middle of driving. I pull on side of the road to see what is going on and then I saw smoke poring out of my driver side fog light and passenger headlight.open the hood and saw what I really did not wanted to see a fire. I just wana say big thanks for semitruck driver who was so nice to stop with his rig and try to help me with fire extinguisher. When fire was out I pull the bulb out and plastic bulb socket the hold the bulb was gone melted. Im not talking about the plastic part that is on bulb is a plastic part that is coming from the car electrical wire that plugs in to the bulb.same thing was with fog light bulb all melted to the point where there is no plastic for bulb socket. After couple minutes semitruck driver told me to follow him to first restarea stop so I can be safe not standing on middle of the road. When I restart the car and turn my headlights on only one light was working. Finally after couple miles of driving with one headlight and following the semitruck driver we came to first rest area stop. After looking for couple minutes semitruck driver gave me electrical tape to cover the wires so that fire dose not start again. Maybe is hard to believe but I have photos that I can send it. I know there is a Mercedes forum on internet about this people having this same problem. Like I said I have photos that I can send it if you guys thing is a made up story. And worst thing is next to the headlight is a fuel pressure regulator so I don't feel safe or driving any more. This is not the first time that this happened I been going thru 20 bulbs for my brake lights tail lights and headlights. But now im thinking is not the bulbs that R bad is the electrical issue with the car.

- Euclid, OH, USA

Jan 012012

C230

Seat control module failure. 2 modules per car, 1 for passenger seat, and 1 for driver seat fail. The defective seat control module unit will deplete the cars battery overnight resulting in a no-start condition the following day. A new battery, or a jump start, will get the car going again. The common immediate resolution is to unplug the seat control module which would impact the seats ability to respond in an accident. The replacement part and diagnosis from mb dealer is approx $700/ module. This is a huge liability for Mercedes owners and the repair should be investigated for seat function safety. I understand the part number has been updated, which I believe is an admission by Mercedes that the original part is defective.

- Trabuco Canyon, CA, USA

Oct 282010

C230 4-cyl

In Sept 2008 I purchased a certified pre-owned Mercedes Benz C230 sedan along with an extended warranty for an additional expense the car had approx 32K on it at time of purchase, it now is at aprrox 62K all service actions have been performed by the local mb dealership and the car only has the oem equipment it was manufactured with. On the 28th of Oct 2010 I had returned to work parked the car and about 15 mins after it was shut off I was summoned by a coworker that my car was on fire, I immediately opened the hood, extinguished the fire and disconnected the cars battery as having a mechanical background in both automotive & aviation. I notified my insurance company to have the car taken to the dealer for assessment of the problem, I was called the morning of Nov 2, 2010 by the dealerships service dept that my claim adjuster had arrived and was asked to authorize tear down of the car and that it had appeared that the cars alternator wire harness had come into contact with the cars exhaust manifold which led to the problem and was told by the dealership and my insurance company that this was classified as normal wear and tear in which I am in total disagreement with especially since Mercedes of albuquerque has performed all maintenance since the time of purchase. This now is being put on me for the expenses. In my past 25 years experience have never heard of an electrical failure of this nature with a well maintained vehicle. Updated 12/07/10

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 262008

C230

First, my steering wheel wire was replaced from a faulty SRS light coming on and the esp light coming on. I had to pay for all of this. Next, euromotor cars said the steering wheel collar was broke. I have never had that fixed because they wanted to charge me and I felt they should replace the collar since they replaced the steering wire. Now my car does not start and the instrument cluster does not light up. I cannot unlock the doors with the remote key and I cannot unlock the trunk of the car. My car just sits because I feel I should not have to pay for any of this any more. I have put $6,800 in repairs in this car. I do not want to pay for another vehicle. I feel my car is unsafe. My car was first serviced at herb gordon's auto group in silver spring, Maryland. I was not happy with the service so I decided to try euromotors and the service was worse. They continue to put in codes so there will not be a recall and the consumer has to pay out of pocket. Please help in resolving some of the issues I have had with this 2005 C230 kompressor Mercedes Benz. I would also like for this car to be entered into the recall for the steering wire repair just as the E320. I purchased the car with 4,000 miles on it in 10/2005. Thank you.

- Washington, DC, USA