2.3

2007 Mercedes-Benz C230 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mercedes-Benz C230:

2007 Mercedes-Benz C230 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 292015

C230

After refueling car to full, car has a strong fuel smell. The smell persists if the car is over 3/4's full or greater. This has happened since I purchased this car but I couldn't determine where the smell was coming from until I took it to the mechanic and he said the fuel was spilling from the top of the fuel sending unit!!! he mentioned that this is a safety issue and that I need to check if this recalled already. I am now very mortified of this issue!!!

- Arden, NC, USA

May 022016

C230

My 2007 Mercedes C230 smells of gas if I fill the tank more than half way. It only has 50,000 miles on

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

May 162015

C230

My check engine light stays on which Mercedes Benz stated its the magnetic stabilizer. Which was stated that a recall maybe coming. This causes a malfunction in having your emission to have a faulty reading. I have less than 120,000 on it. When I have taken to the dealership or service the light still came on. To my understanding a class action was taken against the company by this model was skipped over.

- Clarkston, GA, USA

Mar 042016

C230 6-cyl

I purchased a 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 in 2006 from the Mercedes-Benz dealership and I have had it in the garage.I've only drove to church and that's it 700 miles is what's on my car.I've noticed about a year ago when I put gas it, you can smell it strong. I thought it was because of the type gas (supreme) what I've been using. I took my car to the dealership this morning to get a oil change when the service advisor told me that the car was leaking fuel.there are two rubber seals one goes on the driver side and the passenger side under the back seat. He told me that is going to cost $700. I asked him how is did that happen because I don't drive my car like that for something to go wrong with it. He states that it is very dangerous and driving the car could cause a fire or worst blow up.the gas is leaking and driving the car if you suddenly have to stop the gas would leak onto the exhaust pipe, if the pipe is hot there is a problem. I said well that has not come from me, I have taken care of my car since I bought it. The service advisor said sir, no this is not something that has been done by you.I said this should have been a recall because my car is brand new not by the year but by the mileage and fir something like this to be so dangerous.he agreed and said he will fix the problem.he put me in a rental from fri-mon and said he will call me when my car is fixed. I get home and later around 6pm he called me and said it was something else wrong from the effects of the gas leak and now want to charge me $1500 I told him I don't have that kind of money. And I need help with this because this is ridiculous I need to know if there is a recall or something.because I seen I'm not the only person who has this problem.I feel the dealership should be held responsible.the service advisor agreed with me that it seems to be a malfunction on their end. I need help! thank you

- Humble, TX, USA

Feb 022015

C230

The contact owns a 2007 Mercedes Benz C230. The contact stated that when fuel tank was full, there was a fuel odor inside the vehicle. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the canister shut off valve and the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 185,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 192011

C230

When vehicle is refueled, strong odor of gasoline exists from rear passenger seat and rear exterior of vehicle. There's no visible fuel leak, strong fuel odor especially when inside the garage. No fuel odor when it's less than 3/4 full tank. The car has less than 30K miles when first notice the fuel odor.

- Harker Heughts, TX, USA

Sep 042015

C230

When ever the vehicle is filled with gasoline, there is a fuel smell that persists for as much as several days after. There does not seem to be any visible fuel leaking, but the smell of fuel is there nonetheless.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Feb 162015

C230

The contact owns a 2007 Mercedes Benz C230. The contact stated that after refueling the vehicle, there was a strong fuel odor inside the vehicle. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000. The VIN was not available. 01/13/16

- Dana Point, CA, USA

Sep 202015

C230

Strong gasoline odor coming from car. The smell is noticed after the car has been driven and is parked in my garage. I am scared that the fumes caused by whatever leak this may be will ignite.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 292015

C230

Strong fuel odor after filling up my car. After 2 days odor was still there. Took to dealership to be checked and was told that the fuel sending units need to be replaced and will cost $1130.. I have very low mileage on my car 48,336.. this is a huge safety and environmental issue. Very unhealthy to breathe in fuel vapors and bad for the atmosphere. This is exactly the same as the "E" class recall. Why wasnt the "C" class included. Please make this a recall on the "C" class.

- Woodkland Hills, CA, USA

Aug 312015

C230

The contact owns a 2007 Mercedes Benz C230. The contact stated that there was a strong fuel odor in the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump was fractured and the descending units needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 106,000.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jul 012015

C230

Strong raw fuel odor was noticed after fill up on multiple occasions. Investigation found that both the fuel pump housing and the fuel sender housings were cracked allowing raw fuel to leak out. This is exactly the same as the E class recall. This recall needs to be extended to include the C class as well as this car has an identical failure mode. I found this issue was previously reported, and would like to second this noted issue. For many months have noticed strong fuel smell from left rear wheel well. Mb dealer confirms above similar diagnosis and approximately 1K repair cost, gas is leaking out and pooling on top of sender unit.

- Maricopa, AZ, USA

Jun 012015

- Naples, FL, USA

Jul 172015

C230

After filling up the gas tank there is a smell of gas at the back of the car. It goes away after driving about 30 miles but returns when filled up again. Seams to be a common problem with this car.

- Vinita, OK, USA

May 012015

C230

The contact owns a 2007 Mercedes Benz C230. When the contact filled up the fuel tank, there was a strong fuel odor coming from the vehicle. The contact believed this was a serious safety issue since the fuel odor was unusually strong. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 04/06/16

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Jun 302014

C230

After I fill the tank up with gasoline the car smells like gas! especially in the rear on the inside and out. Huge safety and environmental issue. Seems to be very common with this year and should be made a recall. Fuel vapors are unhealthy to be breathing and should not be release into the atmosphere. Not to mention my gas mileage has decreased! it should be a recall and not a "wear and tear" issue because the car cannot even register the issue no cel (check engine light) appears but yet the fuel is obviously leaking. I read into it and many people say it has to do with cracked housings on the fuel pump and sender? please make this a recall!! huger safety concern what if I crash and the car ignites from the inside!

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Sep 012014

C230

I believe this is related to NHTSA action number EA13003. There appear to be complaints by others as well for the 2007 C230 regarding this issue. Basically, whenever I fill up my tank, I smell gas outside of the car, not inside. The smell seems to be strongest at the right side passenger mirror door area near the hood of the car. Then after a gallon or two has been used, the smell goes away. It took me a while to reproduce and identify this pattern because I don't refill my tank all that often (I drive about 2K miles a year.) I first started noticing this smell around June 2014 after I had my spark plugs replaced due to the recommended age limits. At first I thought it was due to that. So I took my car to the dealership and they identified a leak after I described my problem. I have lost all confidence in Mercedes due to a number of issues on my low mileage car, that I started researching this in google and discovered other people describing the same problem of fuel odor when the tank is full. This leak also corroborates what I have noticed on the fuel gauge; the fuel gauge drops from full to 3/4 full after driving about about 25 miles or so. That can't be right because 25 miles or so is not even 2 gallons of fuel, and the tank holds about 13 gallons, unless there is a leak. Please see if the problem which affected the E class models from the same time period is affecting the C class model. Thank you.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Jun 162015

C230

Car would not start after fill-up. Removed back seat to find a puddle of gas on the fuel pump module (drivers side). Plastic on pump cracked, shorting out module. Big safety hazard.

- Miami Gardens, FL, USA

May 182015

C230

My 2007 C230 Mercedes Benz have a strong fuel odor after each fill up. But no fuel leak on the ground. This is similar problem among E class model which have been recalled, I am paying to get my car repaired at the local dealer today.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Dec 142014

C230

Balance shaft is bad Mercedes wants $5833 to fix it now they have a class action lawsuit against them for that they should have to pay the whole amount to fix it as I looked for recall I found the problem for my gas tank that should have been recalled to if you fill the car up you can smell gas need help to fix this

- Picayune, MS, USA