2003 Mercedes-Benz E320 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mercedes-Benz E320:

2003 Mercedes-Benz E320 Owner Comments

Jul 122016

Recently on today 7-12-16 at 174,000 miles the display on my 2003 E320 4S Mercedes Benz all of a suddenly displayed an illuminated message in bright white : "brake" service brake visit workshop. My vehicle was in motion on a busy major highway when the hydraulic brake system exhibited this message. Shortly prior to this messaging, I notice my brakes were more hard to apply pressure, . I am glad I wasn't driving fast, this could have been a serious tragedy to myself as well as those others on the expressway just a as I was. 2. problem with my gas tank after I fill the tank, the gas fumes become so intense after parking this vehicle inside my garage. I didn't know there were a recall. Is this fuel safety hazard recall still in effect" if so, whom do I contact to have it repaired at no cost to me the owner? 3. 4 months prior in March 2016 I incurred a problem with the coolant fluid leaking into the transmission resulting in a major monetary expense out of my pockets above $5000. Can this be covered by the manufactuer so I may be able to be reimbursed"

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Feb 172014

E320 6-cyl

Crankshaft position sensor - the engine shuts down without any warning, sometimes while driving at speed. I tried to restart it several times, but to not avail. It may restart after the engine has cooled off (after 20-30 minutes) but the problem repeats itself when the engine has been running and warm again. The check engine light came on and a malfunction message: Battery protection - conventional functions temporarily unavailable displays. Once at the repair shop, the mechanic knew what the problem may possibly be even before testing for the check engine code. He said he's seen this problem for quite some time. The problem code did come up with a bad crankshaft position sensor as he predicted. I researched this problem on several Mercedes Benz owners? forum web sites and discovered numerous entries from owners with this exact same problem, affecting several Mercedes model years. I called Mercedes Benz and asked why a recall was not issued for this problem and what they were doing to compensate owners for the repair cost or at least a notification of this problem. I did not receive a favorable outcome but was told by the customer service representative that she would escalate the issue internally so that they would be aware of the issue. I believe that Mercedes Benz has known about this problem for years and it continues to affect many owners. Having the engine shut down with no warning is very dangerous especially if the car is being driven at speed on the highway.

- White Plains, MD, USA

Mar 042013

E320 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Mercedes Benz E 320. The contact stated that the check engine warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised her that the two valves and the fuel sending unit failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred a few months after the repairs. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 91,000. The current mileage was approximately 92,000.

- Tacoma, WA, USA