2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350:

2006 Mercedes-Benz E350 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 072015

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350. While driving approximately 45 to 50 mph, the vehicle approached a ramp and applied the brakes. Messages on the instrument panel illuminated that read "reduced brake pressure and depress brake fully", "traction control", "ABS", and "check engine lights". in addition, the steering wheel locked up when the brakes were applied. The vehicle was pulled over, turned off, restarted, and driven home. The failure recurred. The vehicle was driven to a mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission and engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 129,000.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Aug 022015

Vehicle went into low gear unsuspectingly, and steering became difficult vehicle went into limp mode without and warning. Vehicle could not be driven over 30mph vehicle would not shift back into higher gear. Vehicle is parked and vehicle is still struck in low gear will not come out of lower gear.I notice you have a recall item LI27-22 componet 103700 power train automatic transmission torque converter 6-29-11 NHTSA item 10038976 and one dated by NHTSA dated 7-24-14 component 103000power train automatic transmission item#10056470

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 152015

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a routine inspection. The mechanic discovered that the crankshaft position sensor was faulty. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was confirmed that the crankshaft sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,700.

- Belstsville, MD, USA

Jan 272015

E350 6-cyl

There is a serious safety issue with 2006 Mercedes-Benz E class (mbec) because of a manufacturer's and/or design defect which causes this vehicle to not go into proper gear and/or stall suddenly putting the public at risk. I barely escaped being smashed into by oncoming traffic while making a routine left hand turn into a gas station because my mbec was stuck in gear and did not accelerate as it was manufactured and designed to do but rather sputtered at less than 5 miles per hour (mph). The only reason I was not T-boned and likely seriously injured along with other people was because the other drivers swerved into oncoming traffic causing those drivers to also swerve. Miraculously no one was injured, this time. Also, the reason why I was turning into the gas station was because I was forced to get off the highway because my mbec would not change gear after I got on the highway and was approaching red-lining at and it seemed like the engine might blow. The tiptronic also failed during this malfunction. I had the authorized mb dealer that I have used since I purchased my mbec pickup my vehicle to look into this issue and my advisor told me I needed a new balance shaft because the one in my vehicle had prematurely worn (even though I have always stringently followed my mb advisor's suggestions) and it would cost roughly $6,500. S/he also said this occurs in roughly 15-20% of '06 mbec. But mb would not fix this safety defect unless I paid. Worse yet, my advisor never made me aware of this serious safety issue even though S/he previously knew or should have known and as a result put the public at risk by not enabling me to resolve this serious safety issue with my model year vehicle until the occurrence of a near catastrophe. There should be a safety recall now that this safety defect has come to light and unless there is, the public will remain at serious risk.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Feb 222015

E350 6-cyl

We, my wife and 3 son's were coming down from big bear when it started snowing. Snow got heavy and I was approaching a sharp curve slowed down to about 8miles made the turn nd slowly pressed on the gas peddle, the rpms went up but the car did not accelerate. I had to stop put the car in park then turn it of, turn it back on, put it in gear and accelerate slowly. As I looked in the side mirrors, I noticed cars skidding sideways and some hitting the side of the mountain, there was a large 4 wheel drive in back of me so it hid the make of my car and license plate.this has also happened on the freeway when I have to come to a complete stop, then the car will not move but the rpms rev up. Also in the mornings when I go to work the car down shifts extremely hard, seems the transmission is going to break along with my collarbone. Please something has to be done about this Mercedes Benz has now about the defects please before people die.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Feb 042015

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350. While driving 60 mph with the cruise control engaged, the rear wheels suddenly locked up and the vehicle began to skid uncontrollably. The contact was able to downshift into first gear. The contact pulled over to the shoulder of the highway. The contact attempted to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was able to slowly drive in first through fourth gears successfully. As soon as the contact shifted into fifth gear, the vehicle performed as if the brake pedal were depressed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were not made aware of this failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Pearl River , LA, USA

Dec 032012

E350 6-cyl

Check engine light comes on and when check indicates cam sensor problem. I was told that Mercedes knows about this problem.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 132014

E350 6-cyl

On the way to work, the check engine light went on. After a few miles, at an intersection, my car jerked and I didn't have enough time to make the signal light. I decided to go back. After I shifted to reverse, the car didn't move back and stopped there totally. I had to turn off the engine and restarted, the car worked. I took the car to the dealer right away, it needs "entire valve body/conductor plate assy-replace and retest" and total cost is $2000.

- Inverness, IL, USA

Mar 132013

E350 6-cyl

I initially had issues with the transmission slipping then there were engine issues compounding the problem. Re the transmission, my first occurrence was when I was about to enter a very busy intersection and my car would barely move. My mechanic explained later that the car was stuck in 3rd gear so I could not get my normal forward movement. He told me if it happened again to turn my engine off, count to ten and turn it back on. Fortunately he told me this because the next times it happened I was on Lincoln blvd. In marina del rey, ca. And my car would not accelerate at all. One time I was at a red light so had time to turn it off and on. The next time I had to coast into a very small center divider that was growing smaller and with traffic flying by on my side and oncoming I had to turn off my engine, count to ten and turn it on. This caused a lot of angst since I had cars flying by and at me while doing this. There have been many other instances. I am getting no cooperation from mbz.

- Playa Vista, CA, USA

Jan 302014

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the contact heard a grinding noise as the transmission slipped. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the balance shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 79,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Oct 212013

E350 6-cyl

Having returned from a weekend trip, I started the vehicle and let it warm up for a few minutes. Put the gear selector in drive and off I went, so I thought. My vehicle was actually in limp mode. Several minutes later a check engine light with code P2725 "pressure control solenoid E electrical". in other words, conductor plate and valve body. This is a common problem with 722.9 transmissions. I had the transmission serviced by a Mercedes dealership on 6/27/2013, transmission flush and new filter ($553.38). Three months later, boom! kaput! limp mode! valve body toasted! dealer quote of $1800 and $2100 to replace valve body. This is a common problem. Mercedes should foot the bill.

- Keller, TX, USA

Sep 152013

E350 6-cyl

I was driving my vehicle when suddenly the vehicle began to stop and the transmission appeared to be frozen. As I put my foot on the accelerator the car would increase speed then it would again slow down. When I pulled over I was able to switch off the ignition and restart the engine and resume driving. Once I got to my destination I was able to put the car in reverse with no problem. When I got ready to travel back home I began to experience the same problem. However, I was now able to only drive the car using manual shift or drive in 1st or 2nd gear at 20 to 30 mph. I had the car evaluated by Mercedes in atlanta and was told there was some problem with some type of transmission pump and that I will need a new transmission. My car has been maintained by Mercedes since I purchased this vehicle. I have never had any trouble with previous cars that I have driven for 10 plus years. Please investigate this matter for I was told this is not unusual for this vehicle. A new transmission will cost me $6500. I can buy another car for that price. I did have an extended warranty but it has now expired.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Jun 192013

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph and depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would not respond. The contact had to shift gears from drive to park and back to drive before the vehicle would respond. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the contact was advised that the transmission had failed. The failure was not reported to the manufacturer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 89,000.

- Dallas , TX, USA

Oct 122012

E350 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway and could hear that the engine didn't sound right, it was revving at a higher RPM than normal. I pulled over to see what was wrong and it continued to do this every time I tried to accelerate. I turned the car off, turned it back on and then only had 3rd. Gear available. Nothing else. I later found out that it's called "limp mode" it wouldn't go faster than 40mph and nothing else worked, just 3rd. Gear and reverse. After doing extensive research I learned this is a problem with most 7-speeds and the amount of people having or had this issue is appalling. Apparently Mercedes knew of this matter all along and did nothing. My car is currently at the dealership now and I have to pay $1,600 to have the conductor plate and valve body fixed. I'm a single mom, self employed, but still a single mom. This isn't right and Mercedes should bend over backwards to remedy this. "

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Aug 142012

E350 6-cyl

Car has check engine light come on, diagnosed to have balance shaft failure. This is a well known defect that happens to many cars with this engine. Mercedes was aware since 2007, but refuses to correct the problem, only offers to give 'free' parts. Dealer says would cost $4500 to $6000 for labor to fix. Mercedes should issue a recall to fix this problem.

- Orange, CA, USA

Mar 062012

E350 6-cyl

Balance shaft failure. At 57,700 miles the check engine light on with codes 1200/1207 also known as P0016 and P0017. The balance shaft sprocket is excessively worn due to manufacturer defect known by Mercedes Benz usa to be due to poorly hardened metal in the manufacture of this part. May cause complete engine failure and loss of power. Manufacturer refused to offer any assistance in correcting the defect.

- Leland, NC, USA

May 012010

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes E350. While driving approximately 5 mph in reverse the driver heard a grinding noise. The grinding noise was also present when making turns at approximately 25 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated the transfer case had to be flushed. The failure continued and the transfer case was flushed three times. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated there was a manufacturers recall but the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 33,000.

- Naples, FL, USA

Dec 242011

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz E350. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate from a complete stop, the vehicle would not respond. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the failure. A local mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was approximately 61,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Saliysberry, MD, USA

Nov 152010

The contact owns a 2006 Mercedes E350. The contact stated that the vehicle would shutter, jerk and lunge forward abnormally when traveling over 28 mph. The dealer and manufacturer were notified, but denied any assistance with repairs to the defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 62,000.

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Sep 172011

E350 6-cyl

Engine/transmission was acting jerky and suddenly the car lost power to engine and the car broke on it's own doing causing the vehicle to swerve into the other lane. Luckily there were no cars behind or to the side of me as this would have surely caused an accident. Currently there is a class action law suit in place specifically to the engine in my car and the part at fault.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA