5.9

2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350:

2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 Owner Comments

Aug 282016

ML350

The contact owns a 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350. While driving approximately 70 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was determined that the steering wheel became inoperable and the entire steering wheel and electrical motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that a case manager would call the contact back within forty-eight hours. The failure mileage was 16,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 022013

ML350 6-cyl

While traveling at 55mph the steering suddenly felt very stiff and hard to move. Had to apply brakes when it seemed I couldn't negotiate a curve in the road. The steering returned to normal shortly after applying the brakes. The steering problem occurred again in a local shopping center parking lot at slow speed. Returned the car to the dealer service center. They performed a software update and stated they couldn't find any problems with the steering. Within 3 days the problem reappeared at slow speed while steering through barriers entering a local air force base. The next day (4 days after dealer service) the wife had the steering lock up at slow speed in a local grocery store parking lot. She could not move the steering wheel at all. She shut off the engine, restarted the engine, and the steering returned. The same thing happened again on the way home after grocery shopping. She is now afraid to drive the vehicle on the highway. Returned the car to the local dealer for service. We have only had the ML350 three weeks. Could not believe the problem hadn't been discovered before by the previous owners or the sales manager that was using it as a dealer vehicle.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jul 052013

ML350 6-cyl

I am going to uhaul to rent trailer. Uhaul is around 8 miles from my house.after 7 miles of driving on the road suddenly showing error message " power steering malfunction refer to operator's manual" at that time steering was super super super hard to turn. Immediately I turned on the hazardous lights. Applied full amount of power with my 2 hands turned steering wheel to right to exit the road. Slowly it moved and changed lanes and took vehicle to off the road it took around 5 minutes to off the road. I referred, manual nothing mentioned in manual. Try change mode from power manual, but no luck. Called emergency road side assistance. They don't know how to solve and even problem, but they agreed that its too hard to steer wheel when U get this message. My ML350 towed to nearest dealer and also towing guy also surprised and he felt it was too dangerous. After 2 hours Mercedes service advisor called me and told me that they did not found any mechanical failure, but they have to update the software. And also they are observing my vehicle for 2 days. If it happens on highway with the speed of 70-80mph how should I control the vehicle and I will be in the accident and it will lead to anything, my wife is too afraid to drive the vehicle. I spend 60K on it. I am also too scare to drive the vehicle.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA