2002 Mercedes-Benz ML500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercedes-Benz ML500:

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML500 Owner Comments

Feb 112010

While driving at 70 mph with cruise control on esp/bas light came on. Cruise control failed to disengage when brake pedal pushed to slow vehicle, causing engine to race forcing vehicle to speed up almost crashing into vehicle ahead. Cruise control could only be disengaged by putting transmission into neutral and depressing brake. This is first time failure occurred. Dealer replaces stop lamp switch (part is available), recommended replacing brake pressure sensor and bas release switch at a cost to me over $1,000. I believe this is a serious safety matter.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Feb 032006

ML500 4WD 8-cyl

I own a 2002 Mercedes Benz ML500. A week ago I experienced sudden acceleration while driving on an interstate. As I was accelerating the car suddenly accelerated (the gas pedal went to the floor) and I was unable to stop the car despite fully depressing the break pedal. The car reached 80+ mph and I was forced to drive off of the road to avoid an accident (I was able to slow it to about 50 mph by fully depressing the break pedal). I was finally able to stop the car by shifting into neutral (it has an automatic transmission; when I shifted to neutral the engine immediately decelerated). Over the next 40 miles I experienced sudden acceleration 10+ times. This occurred both while I was accelerating and while I was braking. While attempting to stop at a stop sign in my subdivision the car accelerated and drove through the stop sign. I parked the car in my garage and called my mb dealer. I asked to have the car towed to the dealer and I was told that they would not do this. I explained the issue to them and they seemed unconcerned. I have not driven the car again since this occurred (I will not ever drive it again).

- Morris, IL, USA

Jun 252004

Tghe accelerator pedal is sticky and notchy. This condition made smooth acceleration extremely difficult.

- Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, USA