1.6

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500:

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500 Owner Comments

Feb 132015

SL500 8-cyl

Driving along on 2/14/2015, I hear a banging coming from the back of the car. I notice it only does it when I am excelling or braking. I thought there may be something in the trunk, like a liquid with something floating in it, banging up against the side of the container. After I parked, I checked out the box that I have put in the back of my car. There was nothing there that would make this noise. Upon further investigation, I see that there many complaints against the baffle that is inside the gas tank that comes lose and bangs the sides of the gas tank. This is not acceptable. I will take my car to the shop on Tuesday and see about repairs and having mb pay for it.

- Oakland , CA, USA

Mar 242012

SL500 8-cyl

I was driving on the freeway when the idler pulley simply fell off the front of the engine. Obviously, the belt came off too. The vehicle was hard to control since the power steering stopped working. Additionally, breaking effort increased, stability control malfunctioned, and a few other non-essential systems became inoperable.

- Houston, TX, USA