2001 Mercury Cougar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Mercury Cougar:

2001 Mercury Cougar Owner Comments

Jan 012009

The contact owns a 2001 Mercury Cougar. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled while driving 60 mph. The vehicle restarted after waiting a few moments. The failure recurred on an intermittent basis and occurred more frequently over time. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and was repaired under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 04V421000 (fuel system, gasoline). The failure began to recur approximately three months later. The vehicle had not been taken back for additional repairs. The contact also stated that fuel system failures led to an alternator failure, which drained the vehicle's battery. In addition, the contact stated that the sunroof was jammed and would not longer open. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Patterson, CA, USA

Sep 082008

I am not sure who to contact with this, but I have already gone through my insurance company, and I am still a little upset about what happened. I owned a Mercury Cougar 2dr coupe 2001. One night I was alerted by a neighbor that my car was on fire. My father started putting water on the car, and I used a fire extinguisher to put the fire out. My insurance company had a claims representative come out and check the vehicle. They already sent me a check for what they say the vehicle was worth, and I am just not happy about it. I know that Ford had issues with cars catching on fire. I just don't see how the insurance company can cut me a check for the vehicle, and determine a cause, with only pictures. My car still sits in my driveway 2 weeks after the accident. The car was sitting parked in the driveway for roughly 8 hours before it caught on fire. I just hate the fact that I am having to take a car I spent 13,000$ for, and now I get to buy something worth 6,700$. I was searching online to find more information about the vehicle fires, and also saw where it should be reported and that why I decided to write this. Thank you, seth goodowens

- Adams, TN, USA

Mar 162004

Cougar 4-cyl

2001 Cougar stalls and looses power and wont restart until the next day only to stall again at any speed. Has been to Ford dealership 7 times and 2 independent garages. Dealership & garage cannot fix problem. Was almost hit twice from behind stalling on highway.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

May 172004

Cougar 4-cyl

2001 Mercury Cougar has stalled 5 times within a month and a half. Twice on the highway and 3 times idle. Car was completely shutting off without restarting and 2 computer chips were replaced due to Ford putting in a bad chip. Car is now stalling when going at slow speeds or stopped and has been in an independent shop 3 times within a 3 week period so the car is now stalling once a week. Brand new wires, throttle body, idle censor was replaced and it's still stalling. Spent a small fortune on rental cars, tow trucks and repairs. Ford's customer service said there was nothing that could be done. Will never ever buy an american car again!

- King George, VA, USA