2004 Mercury Grand Marquis lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments (Page 8 of 8)

Apr 032010

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I am currently having problems with my 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis with the head lights not coming on or going out. All other light stay on. Turning the light switch on / off and it won't come on. Same symptoms in auto or manual headlight mode. If I stop the car it will come back on. It then might go off after a while. I see others have had this same problem, this was confirmed by my local Ford dealership. Very common problem with serious safety concerns. Dealer tells me it is a failure of the light control module (lcm).

- Hillsborough, NC, USA

Jun 212009

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlights suddenly stopped working. In addition, the turn signals and bright headlights would only illuminate whenever the switch was held. As soon as the switch was released, the lights would dim again. In order to drive at night, the contact would have to hold the switch at all times. The failure has occurred on three occasions. Usually, the headlights work normally when the vehicle is parked overnight. The contact scheduled an appointment with the dealer, but they have not yet inspected the vehicle. He believes that this is a manufacturer defect. The failure mileage was 80,000 and current mileage was 83,000.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Jul 052009

Grand Marquis

Light controler shuts lights off at night while driving. The only way to get lights to drive with is to hold dircetional signial handel up with one hand and drive with the other.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Jun 062009

Grand Marquis

While driving at night with the headlight switch in the automatic selection the headlights went out. This was on June 6, 2009, at 11:00 P. M. then on June 27, 2009, at 9:10 P. M. while turning onto an interstate highway the headlights went out again. This time the headlight selection switch was in the manual mode. Both time the highbeam selection switch was pulled and after a 15 to 20 minute period the headlights came back on.

- South Windsor, CT, USA

May 152009

Grand Marquis

2004 Mercury marquis. After 2-3 hours of driving with the headlights on, they will go out. All other lights continue to work properly. This is a very dangerous situation. I stopped the car and continued with my trip during the daylight. I believe this is a problem with the lighting control module and is a common problem.

- Farmington, NM, USA

Apr 022009

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. While driving 35 mph at night, the headlights failed. The contact was able to avoid a crash. He took the vehicle to the dealer and they replaced the headlight sensor at the cost of $700. The dealer stated that the failure was common and they keep the sensor in stock. A report was filed with the manufacturer and they stated that there was no recall. The failure mileage was 69,000 and current mileage was 79,000.

- Pinehurst , NC, USA

Mar 212009

- Farmington, NM, USA

Jan 112009

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlights would go out completely while driving at any speed. Sometimes the lights will illuminate within a few minutes or up to fifteen minutes. When he pulls the turn signal lever towards him, the bright lights illuminate, but shut off when he lets go off the lever. The dealer informed him to bring the vehicle in for inspection. The repair would cost between $400 and $500. The failure mileage was 98,000. Updated 4/16/09 the consumer stated the repairs were made by replacing the lcm. Updated 04/20/09.

- Lawrenceville , GA, USA

Nov 122008

Grand Marquis

We have 9 Mercury Grand Marquis in our fleet. We are a 24 hour transportation service and our cars are out a night. The lights just turn off without warning and our drivers now have to drive in the dark until the lights come back on after shutting the car down. Or, they may not come back on and have to have the car towed in. We have purchased this company in May 2008 and purchased all nine cars at the same time. We have replaced four of the nine so far at the cost of $591. Each, our cost according to whiteys' automall mansfield Ohio. If this item is so defective that we have to keep replacing this same item in each car, why was this item not recalled and corrected. I am listing one date, there has been 4 different dates, 4 different cars. (2) 2004's (1) 2003 and now (1) 2002, our 2005's and 2006's have not indicated a problem as yet.

- Mansfield, OH, USA