2005 Mercury Grand Marquis engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 222006

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The vehicle was purchased on January 26 2006 new with lees than 100 miles on it. While at a complete stop in a parking place with my right foot on the brake pedal and hand on gear shift to place the car in park in front of a nursing home. Suddenly the car accelerated forward out of control with enough speed in the short distance to go through a wall into a room of the nursing home. Luckily the room in the nursing home was unoccupied. I did suffer an injury to the top and right side of my right foot, when I attempted to pull the accelerator up with my right foot and placing my left foot on the brake pedal. The car did not stop accelerating until the impact into the nursing home. The car was towed to the dealership the same day and the owner of the dealership and service personnel was notified of the possible defect. To this date the dealership has not responded to my concerns.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jan 152006

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

This car has a dangerous defect. Randomly when in a stationary position, by holding the brakes, the engine and transmission sometimes suddenly accelerates powerfully, making it difficult to hold the car. I notified the dealer about this defect, several times in writing and by phone. Dec, 29, 2005 they took it on a drive, and claimed to have found no defect. Subsequently, Jan, 15, 2006 at approximately 1:00 pm, I was stopped at a red light on grand St. Nyc behind an SUV, by holding the brakes, all of a sudden it accelerated, and it was impossible to hold the car. It slammed into the SUV in front of me, smashing my front. Luckily, the SUV was not damaged. But even more luckily, we did not get hurt, (I had in the car my wife, an adult daughter, and 2 grand children). In addition, I guess we were extra lucky that we had the SUV in front of me, which averted a catastrophic mowing down of pedestrians crossing. The dealers took in the car, and notified me yesterday, Jan, 19, 2006, that they ran tests and find nothing wrong with the car.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 292005

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

On three occasions when shifting from park to reverse the engine sped up (accelerated drastically) causing the wheels to spin and only by quick application of the brake was an incident avoided. I drove into a parking space, put the car in park, then not satisfied with the position I attempted to back up, that's when the car accelerated.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Aug 082005

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The consumer stated that the accelerator stuck three times. The owner was backing out of the driveway and went to give the car gas and the accelerator stuck. The driver ended up in a ditch. This happened while driving at low speeds at 25 mph. The car is at the dealership to be inspected. The dealer could not identify the cause of the problem. This has not been reported to the manufacturer. A police report was taken.

- East Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jun 272005

Grand Marquis

Consumer states that he rented a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis which he backed into the driveway, and put the vehicle into drive from reverse the vehicle accelerated across street, through a neighbor's lawn and through a hedge into a neighbor's car. There was a police report filed. The investigating officers thought it was a mechanical malfunction. Consumer was not cited for this incident. Hertz rental had vehicle towed to the service center.

- Pensacola, FL, USA