2005 Mercury Grand Marquis lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Sep 082016

Grand Marquis

My headlights failed. Ross tire and service performed diagnostic service. Informed me of need for lighting control module replacement that could be done for free at a Ford dealership because of a recall. Ford never sent me a recall notice! I was minutes away from being on the I-10 atchafalya basin bridge which has no shoulder or lighting! the dealership in lafayette fixed my car free of charge however Ford has failed to cover the cost of the diagnostics done for me at ross's tire and service. I was on a city street when my lights failed on my way to I-10. I have documentation.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Sep 012015

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlights became inoperable intermittently without warning. The contact mentioned that the high beams had to be activated to drive. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V861000 (exterior lighting) however, the part for the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Dec 212015

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V861000 (exterior lighting); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Long Valley, NJ, USA

Dec 222015

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V861000 (exterior lighting); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not provided. Updated 09/06/16 updated 09/26/16.

- Des Plains, IL, USA

Apr 072015

Grand Marquis

The seat belt light came on and would not go off had extened warranty but it did not cover the price to fix the seat belt which was defective was $900 ''' live on a fixed income and could not afford this price also the head light recall recieved a letter but never heard another thing on the head light my concern is the seat belt

- Lexington, SC, USA

Apr 142016

Grand Marquis

My Grand Marquis lights would not come on last night and went to auto zone. They checked all my fuses. Still nothing then I was stuck trying to hold the highbeams on the whole drive home. Started to look into this problem only to see I am not the only one. Trying to find out what I should do next.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Feb 242016

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. The contact stated that the headlamps flickered when operating the vehicle. The contact replaced the bulbs for the headlights; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the lighting control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 15V861000 (exterior lighting); however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 105,000.

- Chester, VA, USA

Nov 192015

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I was traveling on northfield road in bedford heights Ohio and turned right on to the drive way that leads to walmart. The steering wheel snapped completely loose spinning around. I lost control of the steering and the car crashed into a curb before I could apply the brakes. This occurred approximately an hour after I picked up my car from Liberty Ford dealership for repairs done in response to recall number 13S08 - steering column shaft and customer satisfaction program number - 14N01. (lighting control module).

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Dec 012015

Grand Marquis

Headlamps go out intermittently while driving at night. Ford dealer says only way can fix problem, which is an investigation, customer satisfaction # 14N01, is for the problem to be occurring when it is checked. This is absurd, as the problem is known to be intermittent - related to bad relays / relay installation. These idiots need to be told to fix the problem before someone kills someone just to demonstrate that the problem exists!

- Goodrich, MI, USA

Sep 282015

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. While driving approximately 70 mph, the front headlights failed without warning. The contact had to activate the high beams by holding the flash to pass lever on the steering column; however, the high beams no longer illuminated if the lever was not actuated. The failure recurred on several occasions while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Aug 152015

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. While driving 15 mph, the headlights flashed intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the lighting control module needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Sterling Heights , MI, USA

Aug 142015

Grand Marquis

My husband and I were on vacation on August 14th 2015 when we were going to leave our location, we turned car on and headlights; when we noticed headlights would not turn on at all. We manually turned the knob multiple times and no lights turned on. When he pulled turn signal lever back toward him, we came to a conclusion the only way we could travel was with the manual high beams on. He had to hold the lever the entire way to our next location in the mountains which was dangerous for us as well as other drivers. The headlights somehow came back on. And on August 26 2015 I just had the same problem with headlights not working unless holding back the manual high beams lever. This time they did not come back on. Not only am I as a driver blinding people with high beams, I am risking my driving by holding down a lever while trying to drive. The lever hits the steering wheel and makes it difficult to turn the wheel. This is a serious problem that many others with this year make and model are experiencing. This needs to be addressed and fixed

- Churchton , MD, USA

Aug 082015

Grand Marquis

The headlamps decided to quit working right when I am driving down the highway at 45 miles an hour. Could not see anything. Other drivers going the opposite direction were honking and flashing their lights at me. This is very dangerous, and somebody could get hurt.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Jul 272015

Grand Marquis

Both low beam headlights went out at the same time and won't come back on. The high beam "flash to pass" works but I don't want to "blind" any on-coming traffic, so I will not drive at night until this problem is repaired !

- Grove City, OH, USA

Jul 032015

Grand Marquis

We got pulled over by the police and the police notify us that the exterior rear lights was not working and could cause a accident and it's a safety hazard issue so we had to use our emergency lights to get home and the police had to follow us home.....

- Heidelberg, MS, USA

Jun 232015

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. While driving 55 mph, the headlights failed without warning. The contact stated that the vehicle had to be driven 208 miles with the high beams activated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,000. Updated 8/21/15 updated 09/03/15 updated 9/25/2015 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired by the dealer at no cost to the owner. The failure was located at the headlight module. Updated 12/8/2015

- Greenfield, WI, USA

Jun 212015

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. While driving at an unknown speed at night, the high and low beam headlights suddenly stopped working. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred several times during the same night. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Apr 242015

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

As I was driving at night, my vehicle's low and high beams (lights) suddenly cut off. Unexpectedly, the road I was traveling became very dark because I live in rural areas in West Virginia. Unfortunately, a second later, my car ran over a small boulder on the side on the road causing a damage (small cracks) at the bottom right hand side of my bumper. Nevertheless, I put the emergency lights on until I returned home right away. Earlier this week, I used the car again without any lights issues. However a day later, the issue returned again. This time I was traveling in the highway at 60 miles per hour. All low/high beam lights cut off. My only solution was to hold the "flash to pass" lever towards me, and the high beam lights would turn on. However, it is extremely cumbersome driving this way. I've been told by many mechanics that the main culprit is the lighting control module (lcm) and this safety issue has become extremely common in Grand Marquis especially 2005 models. Consumers and perhaps the government may need to further intervene, so Ford can do something about this safety/hazardous. In my case, my bottom bumper suffered, but it could have been worse - it could easily cause an accident at any given time. Currently, I only use my vehicle during the daylight hours. I've been told that repairs can exceed $700 or more and in some instances, the issue returns within a few months after replacing this part. This electrical issue should perhaps be further investigated as the lcm could be the main culprit, but something else could also be triggering the lcm to fail. Thank you greatly!

- Inwood, WV, USA

Mar 262015

Grand Marquis 8-cyl

I was driving down the road and all of a sudden my headlights went out. The only way the headlights works if I hold the high beam pass lever towards me.

- San Diego , CA, USA

Apr 212015

Grand Marquis

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the exterior lights failed to illuminate. As a result, the high beams had to be used while driving. The failure recurred four times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Burnsville , MN, USA