2006 Mercury Grand Marquis miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments

Feb 282014

Grand Marquis

In Feb, 2014, I originally had a minor crash when another driver was cited for reckless driving. His insurance paid for my damage. No airbags were deployed on either me, the driver, or my mother, the passenger. We were belted in. Recently, on September 7th, 2015, the airbag warning light and chimes came on when I started the vehicle. The light continues to come on, the chime rings in 3 sets of 5 periodically. The dealer that fixed the original damage, alan jay, ran a $55 diagnostic and stated the passenger seat belt pretensioner was open, and that this could have only occurred in an accident. I asked why the system did not respond the 1 1/2 years earlier when the accident occurred" alan jay did not have an answer, but stated my entire restraint system and airbags would not operate in any future crash, until I replace the passenger seat belt, which will cost $780 alan jay Ford / Mercury said to contact national general insurance because "the pretensioner doesn't just go" that an accident had to have occurred to cause this. National general called me back today and stated this is untrue. There has been multiple complaints on the Mercury Grand Marquis airbag light activating and shutting down the restraint system and turning off the airbags for no cause. They referred me to, and I filed the 19th complaint for this problem on the 2006 Grand Marquis model. There are also multiple complaints on the same problem with other model years for the Grand Marquis air bag restraint system shutting down. Why has there not been a recall to fix this problem? why don't the Mercury dealers know about this problem? like many others, I am forced to drive my only vehicle in an unsafe condition until I can afford the $780 to fix it"

- Wauchula, FL, USA

Jul 112015

Grand Marquis

Airbag warning light came on. Dealership said it was a faulty tensioner on passenger seatbelt. Cost over $800 to replace. 2 months later the warning light is on again. Now the drivers side seatbelt tensioner is bad. After websearches, I've found thus to be very common with this model/year vehicle.

- Washington, DC, USA