2005 Mercury Mariner engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercury Mariner:

2005 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Nov 032014

Mariner 4-cyl

The gas pedal stuck while driving, the car would only idle and not move. The car was in traffic and almost hit by another vehicle. On a prior date the gas pedal stuck and would not move, car just idled in a parking lot for about five minutes. This wasn't first time it stuck, but prior times it always released right away.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Sep 242013

Mariner 6-cyl

Car accelerated as I tried to stop. Then when I tried to go, I pressed the gas and it would not go but the RPM's went really high. Then the car died and I had to wait a few minutes to turn it back on. 2nd incident- I was driving on a busy road during rush hour and tried to stop at a stop light but the car accelerated so I had to keep breaking but the car would not stop accelerating so I turned the car off. When I tried to turn the car back on, nothing worked (had no power at all therefore I could not turn on my hazards to signal to people that my car was stalled). I waited then tried to turn it on again and it turned on but was still accelerating only I was in park so it did not go anywhere. I turned the engine off but did not turn the car off so I could turn hazards on. I waited several minutes then tried again and was able to pull off the road.

- Farmers Branch, TX, USA

Mar 022012

Mariner 4-cyl

The problem is with the gas pedal, its hard to press/accelerate and sometimes when I press/accelerate from a stop and at speeds of 30 mph, it gets stuck and I have to put it in neutral. Very dangerous situation.

- Cary, IL, USA

Oct 202011

Mariner 4-cyl

Driving the car in cold weather the throttle would stick for the first couple of miles until the car was warmed up. This is a trans./ same type of vehicle as Ford escape.

- Woburn, MA, USA

Oct 012011

Mariner 4-cyl

While stopped, the accelerator pedal sticks in the "up" position, and requires excessive force to move the vehicle. This sometimes results in excessive acceleration when the pedal becomes unstuck.

- Winthrop Harbor, IL, USA

May 202007

The contact owns a 2005 Mercury Mariner. While the contact was driving 55 mph the vehicle had suddenly began to surge forward causing the contact to apply the brakes in order to stop the vehicle from accelerating. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact had the transmission torque converter and throttle sensor replaced. The contact noticed prior that the rear end of the vehicle would jerk whenever it was driven up an incline. The current and failure mileages were 61000.

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Oct 262008

I own a 2005 Mercury Mariner, purchased new. When it gets cold the gas pedal sticks, I push down and there is no response for a few times. This almost caused me to be rear ended this morning had I not put on the hazard lights. Once it warms up it is fine. This has been going on since I bought the car brand new in 2005. This has happened over 50 times and is starting to scare the heck out of me.

- Charlotte, NC, USA