2011 Mercury Mariner steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Mercury Mariner:

2011 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Aug 212016

The contact owns a 2012 (na) Mercury Mariner. While attempting to drive the vehicle, the contact heard a loud abnormal sound and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the bins, gears, and steering column failed and was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that there was no recall for this failure. The failure mileage was approximately 147,500.

- Mt Vernon, KY, USA

Sep 052016

The contact owns a 2011 Mercury Mariner. While driving approximately 35 mph and attempting to make a turn, the steering ability seized. The vehicle struck a curb and was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was being repaired at the owner's expense. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact also stated that the vehicle was repaired last year per an unknown recall for the steering module. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 129,000.

- Woodstown, NJ, USA

Oct 162015

I was driving my vehicle at a low rate of speed on a city street on 10/16/15 and as I turned a corner, about to pull into a driveway, there was a complete loss of power steering ! the vehicle was very difficult to control and it took all my strength in both arms to complete the turn and pull into the driveway safely. The vehicle was towed to crest Ford dealership in flat rock, mi and the diagnostic code they detected indicates they need to replace the entire steering column and is supposed to be covered under Ford's recall 14S05. Dave in their service department took what he described as "the first step" by sending an email to request that this repair service be performed under the recall. It was denied by Ford because a different code, also covered by this recall, was addressed by Liberty Ford in brunswick oh on 5/11/15 (at which point they updated the power steering control module). I contact Ford customer service myself on 10/19/15 and was told that the "program had been closed" on my vehicle because service under the recall has already been performed. It's ridiculous that they aren't now going to service the additional problem that has occurred and is supposed to be covered by this recall!

- New Boston, MI, USA

Mar 022015

Mariner 4WD 4-cyl

I went to my mechanic with a steering problem, and it was part of the torque sensor issues that was recalled. My car falls in those dates but there is no recall on my VIN for that part. And I don't get why.

- Necedah, WI, USA

Dec 132014

Mariner 4-cyl

Driving at 40 mph car stalls, pull over, car starts up engine lite on, (sat) take to dealer on mon (12/15/2014), explain to dealer, they call 3 hours later to say "purge valve needs to be replaced"ok this should be covered right? she says no! the cost to you will be $320.33. I told her this is part of the emissions, it has to be, she said no its not! I purchased this car from this dealer 3 1/2 years ago, (bought is new) still underwarranty.. but this is not covered! the 800 number to Ford blew me off! and said what the dealer says goes!>. why did she suggest I call them then! (not good customer service) I was hoping for explanation! please help, this should be covered. Look at your on line complaints about this! shame shame shame. Of course I paid it, I need my car! please note I was told that there were at 5 or more cars with the same/similar problem.

- Allen Park, MI, USA