2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid:

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid Owner Comments

Jul 062015

Mariner Hybrid

The warning lights had come on a few days ago stating to check the brakes. Today, when the engine was started, the message stop safely now came on. This does not tell me anything about what I need to do and how critical this error is. Can I drive it to the repair shop or should I have it towed" what has to be replaced" this car is driven by my son who is an inexperienced driver, so this is a major concern.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Sep 202014

Mariner Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury Mariner hybrid. While driving at various speeds, the high temperature warning sensor light illuminated before the vehicle overheated and stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the hybrid fans were faulty and needed to be replaced. The fans were replaced and the failure was remedied. The contact also indicated that the ABS braking system malfunctioned due to a faulty ABS module that was damaged when the engine overheated. The ABS was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 106,000. The VIN was not available.

- Berrien Springs , MI, USA

Apr 022014

Mariner Hybrid 4-cyl

Was driving 50mph and car shuts off and warning says pull over after doing so I try to start it car didn't start till the 3rd crank after it started I started to drive when I pressed the brake the pedal was really hard and the brake light and ABS light came on I took it to the Ford dealer ship in naperville il and they diagnose that the hcu (hydraulic control unit for ABS) is bad $3900 smart junction box and possibly the master cylinder is bad gave me a $5200 estimate for the repair.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jun 102013

Mariner Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Mercury marina hybrid. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the braking system failed with the illumination of the ABS and brake warning lights. As a result, the contact crashed into a stop sign. The were no injuries. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 267,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 012012

Mariner Hybrid

I have a Mercury Mariner hybrid 2006. Coming up to red light and vehicle suddenly had no brakes, the pedal would not push in either. No lights had ever come on and no warning signs were ever received. The car was in great condition and was regularly taken care of and had preventable maintenance. Upon failure to brake I had to maneuver the vehicle in dangerous conditions just to avoid an accident. Lucky for me this time did not result in an accident or injury. After replacing the master brake cylinder (as per Ford recommendations) I again had the same problem. This time, narrowly avoiding crashing into my other vehicle which was in my driveway. This was again, without any notice or warnings. Now, by researching online I find that this problem is existing and Mercury / Ford will do nothing about it because no serious injury has occurred yet? I can't afford to replace the hcu, so I will be trading in for another type of vehicle...sad to say. I would have stayed a loyal customer, if not for the sour taste in my mouth.

- Belleview, FL, USA