1.6

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid:

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid Owner Comments

Jan 262014

Mariner Hybrid

While attempting to exit a parking lot (driving at less than 5 mph and making a right turn to leave the parking spot), the steering became very hard to turn. Thinking that the engine had shut off, I restarted the engine then I noticed the message in the cluster "service power steering". I drove to the nearest repair shop a few blocks away and they confirmed that the power steering module is bad and will have to be replaced. They estimated repairs would cost about $1200 if they can find a used one. I was less than 5 miles away and continued on home. Parking this vehicle in nyc tight spots without the power steering is quite an undertaking. The wrench display in the cluster and the "service power steering" message has been consistent and has never disappeared once. I took it to my neighborhood Ford dealer a few weeks later and they confirmed that I will need "power steering rack and pinion, module and alignment with estimated repairs costing $3850 including taxes. This problem seems similar to those reported by the owners of the 2008 - 2011 Ford escape / Mercury mariner SUVS and identified in the recent Ford recalls for power steering issues.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Apr 042009

Mariner Hybrid 4-cyl

In April 2014 my girlfriend was driving our 2006 Mercury mariner when it shut off while driving. Was told to reset computer which we did. The next day it shut off in an intersection. Luckily no accident but under no circumstances should the car computer shut the car off while driving!!!!!! was wiring harness for hybrid battery. The next month she was driving and lost all power steering while driving. Luckily no accident. Took it to dealer, told would need to replace entire steering column or sensor. Was sensor ($1129). Why is this year not covered by recall for this issue and 2008 on is"??" thank you.

- Macedon, NY, USA

Jan 072014

Mariner Hybrid 4-cyl

Stopped at gas station to fuel vehicle. Returned to vehicle after fueling. When I started my Mercury Mariner hybrid, the information screen said "service power steering". when I started to move the vehicle, I realized I only had manual steering available. This continued all the way home (5 miles) on icy snow covered roads (following our near blizzard hear in North eastern Indiana). Next morning, started vehicle and it was back to normal. My extensive research, so far, indicates there have not been any recalls for this, what appears to be, widespread, and might I say potentially very dangerous problem. This is serious. How many deaths are required before a recall is issued on this issue? after reading about the vast number of people that have experienced this same problem, I've started looking for another vehicle. Come on, seriously, this is one that needs your attention now!

- Angola, IN, USA