2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid:

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid Owner Comments

Apr 012016

Mariner Hybrid

2008 Mercury Mariner hybrid. Consumer writes in regards to power steering recall never done on vehicle but dealership states power steering recall repairs were completed. The consumer is currently experiencing a problem with the steering.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 072014

Mariner Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner hybrid. The contact stated that the stop safety now warning message illuminated and an unknown warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that when the defroster was activated, the warning lights no longer illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V526000 (hybrid propulsion system). The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The dealer was unable to confirm when the parts would become available to schedule the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Aug 292014

Mariner Hybrid 4-cyl

My vehicle was part of the nationwide recall by Ford this summer. As instructed, I went into the dealership and my car was "given the fix". not 1 later my power steering in my car has completely gone out. It is very difficult and dangerous to drive my car. I brought my car back to the dealership and was told that my car had already been diagnosed and "fixed" under the recall, so there was nothing further they could do. My car is actually doing the thing that the recall warned about and they sent me away. It has been 4 months, I feel like I take my life into my hands when I drive my car and Ford takes no responsibly.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 232014

Mariner Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner hybrid. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds attempting to make a turn, the steering wheel seized. The contact mentioned that extreme force was required to control the steering wheel and the vehicle would independently resume to normal operation. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the computer needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 87,000.

- Conshohocken, PA, USA

Apr 292013

Mariner Hybrid 4-cyl

My 2008 Mercury Mariner hybrid has a dangerous high speed stall condition. It is very serious and puts the vehicle and occupants in a situation that causes a very high risk of a crash. This said, my vehicle is not covered in the current recall" why not"

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

May 162012

Mariner Hybrid 4-cyl

A "stop safely now" warning message came on when I was driving on the freeway at 60 miles per hour. The car immediately lost power and became difficult to steer. I pulled over to the right shoulder as safely and quickly as possible. This has occurred multiple times.

- South Pasadena, CA, USA

Jul 052014

Mariner Hybrid 4-cyl

I am concerned that the problems with the electric power steering system are not limited to a faulty torque sensor but to the overall power steering system which may create the potential for other steering emergencies. As a result, I am providing the following report should you receive similar complaints from other drivers of Ford vehicles about worn parts of the power steering column which affected driving. While stationary in a parking lot, after turning on the ignition a sound like a quick pop occurred. After starting to drive and turning the steering wheel to the right, a knocking sound such as that of a small hammer happened several times. Turning the steering wheel to the left produced a rubbing sound and minor resistance. There also was a constant squeaking in the rotation of the left front wheel which existed prior to the above occurrence. These conditions continued to occur. On July 9, 2014 the dealer replaced the 8L8Z-38676-E steering shaft joint connector. (I was unaware of recall 14S055 at the time.) on the trip home, the steering wheel constantly squeaked while turning to the left. Responding to the electronic power steering recall 14S055 on 2008-2011 Ford vehicles and a remedy for the squeaking, returned to the dealer on August 1, 2014. Electric steering upgrade performed. Squeaking seems to be remedied by replacing sway bars and 1 tie rod. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

- Summit, NY, USA

Mar 292013

Mariner Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner hybrid. The contact stated that when turning the steering wheel left or right, there was an abnormal noise on numerous occasions. The contact also stated that the power steering warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The technician replaced the steering knuckle, update the pscm and the ic software but the failure persisted. The contact stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V284000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. Updated 9/18/14 updated 2/4/2015

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

May 222014

Mariner Hybrid 4-cyl

Without warning the steering became extremely loose. The change was not progressive, abrupt. The steering wheel makes noise when turning right to left, left to right. This is the second 2008 Mariner hybrid I have owned and that one did the same thing. In researching on line this problem is well known and arrears to be wide spread. The service manager was well aware of the issue and said there had not been a recall issued but "hold on to your receipts" as though he expected one in the future. Honest, the car was hard to point straight after the problem occurred. How can this not be a safety issue?

- Monument Beach, MA, USA

Dec 012012

Mariner Hybrid

While driving the vehicle the power steering suddenly stops working and the steering gets extremely stiff. This has been happening for a few months now. At first it was in the middle of winter and I attributed it as a freak occurrence due to the cold weather. The next time it happened it was a warm spring day. Now it does not occur frequently, but without warning. One time I was making a left turn at a intersection and the steering froze up, causing me to make my turn really wide. I happened to have enough room to complete the turn without a collision, but under other circumstances this defect could cause an accident, possibly fatal in the event of a collision with an oncoming car or at greater speeds.

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

May 272013

Mariner Hybrid

Turning right from a stop, onto a major street, accelerating felt click in wheel and all of the power assist was gone. I completed the turn and continued slow acceleration to around 35mph, the wheel still operated like driving a pre-sixties pickup truck but when I slowed down to make another right turn I really had to put my shoulders into it to complete. I returned home and got on line to see if I needed power steering fluid and found this site. This just happened and appreciate the opportunity to share.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jul 042012

Mariner Hybrid 4-cyl

Vehicle was in middle lane of interstate 95 with traffic moving at 65-70 mph when there was (according to Ford tech) a failure of the motor electronics cooling pump. This caused the vehicle engine to shut down and could have caused accident/death if wife wasn't able to get to shoulder weaving through lanes of traffic. I see online at that this has been reported as a major complaint for awhile. Why is this not a recall? someone will sure get killed. Our car has only 57K miles.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jan 262010

Mariner Hybrid 4WD

I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner hybrid 4 wheel drive. On occasion the steering will loose power assist while turning. The loss of power lasts for a few seconds before the power assist returns. This problem is dangerous as I have to compensate for the loss of steering assist by turning the steering wheel harder, then when the power assist returns the vehicle turns more than I want because the wheel is easy to turn as I am applying a lot of pressure to the steering wheel. The dealer and Ford has not been able to determine the problem or suggest a fix.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA