2005 Mercury Montego electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercury Montego:

2005 Mercury Montego Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 242010

Montego

I own a 2005 Mercury Montego that has been a constant downward spiral.approx. 3 months ago, I had to replace the vehicles transmission, because I was told by Ford that they do not sell the tools or parts to replace anything in it, the whole transmission had to be replaced.approx. 1 week ago, I was sitting at a traffic light and my car revved up to approx. 3500 RPM and pushed my car forward into traffic. I then traveled about a mile down the road and the car started bucking and engine fail safe mode was activated on the dash, along with a small wrench symbol on the message board.I then checked the owners manual where it said it was for the throttle control, and transmission. I immediately called the shop where the transmission was put in, and was told to bring the car there immediately. While on my way to the shop the same day, numerous times I would push the accelerator and the car would do nothing, it would not go at all and then would accelerate after approx. 5 seconds. I eventually made it to the shop where the car was placed on a computer that said there were no codes coming up for the warning that came on. After already spending $4,000 on a transmission, again I spent another $200 to change all of the spark plugs and clean out the throttle control box, which has done absolutely nothing for the problems with the vehicle. In January 2010, I called my dealer to set an appointment to have my transmission fluid changed as a maintenance call, and was told that Ford does not recommend that you change your fluid until 150,000 miles, is that normal" why are all of these transmission going bad, and why are these vehicles accelerating by themselves? nobody seems to have answers for any of these questions. Why are these not being recalled like Toyota were? are you guys waiting for people to die because of this, will that get your attention" this is obviously a computer issue within the car, same system that is in Toyota's. do something about it, before someone's hurt!

- Roxbury, NY, USA

Jun 222010

Montego 6-cyl

On June 22, 2010 I noticed the engine warning light come on. About 1/2 mile further the transmission starts bucking and jumping. The 2005 Mercury Montego was having a difficult time pulling a 15% grade, once to the top everything smoothed out. Then 2 miles further another hill came. The 2005 Mercury Montego started to buck and jump once again. I made it home that evening. The next day I called the dealership and explained the situation. It was decided to take the vehicle in to be looked at. What was found was an instrument cluster defect that was changed out after a four day waiting period to receive the part. Then the service advisor called and stated that the transmission control module (tcm) was defective. This part is not covered by my warranty! it will cost me $1,700 to replace this part. Now I an finding that there are a lot of complaints like this for this particular year and model. So my question is..how many people have to die before the NHTSA will pressure the Ford Motor Company into making their cars safe to operate on the american roadways" who is willing at the NHTSA to put their family in an 2005 Mercury Montego knowing that the transmission control module could malfunction at any time causing their family to be stranded on a freeway or in a busy intersection" come on and step forward you can borrow my car!

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 192005

Montego

Saw smoke coming from passenger's outside mirror, the metal was hot, then saw a small flame, under the mirror, so we pulled the fuse. A week later we put the fuse back in & smoke started coming from the mirror, again, so we pulled the fuse & have left it out. This fuse also controls the power seats, along with the outside mirrors. Both times the car was not running.

- Marshfield, MO, USA