Transmission Failure

9.3

$2,250.00

1. replace transmission (4 reports)
  3. replace torque converter (1 reports)
2005 Mercury Monterey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Mercury Monterey:

2005 Mercury Monterey Owner Comments

Mar 272016

Monterey 4.2L V6

This car had a recall on the Torque Converter in the Transmission. The previous customer to this vehicle had the torque converter replaced on July of 2012, by an outside vendor, not FORD as the recall stated. The original owner then brought the bill to George Wall Ford in Eaton Town NJ and requested payment for the $1800 they laid out to the outside vendor to have the Torque converter replaced. This was at 79,800 miles. George Wall Ford never checked that the work was done, or done correctly. They took the original owners word the work was actually done. They paid the owner $1800.00 no questions asked.

As it turns out the part was not replaced and the outside vendor is now out of business, due to a reputation of shoddy work I'm told.

I purchased the car from this person for $3500, not aware of any of this. The car has 101,000 miles on it. One month later , on Easter Sunday of this year on my way to my in laws, as soon as we getoff their exit, the transmission stops working. I'm stepping on the gas and going no where. On a Major highway with my family on our most holy day of our religion this happens. To make it quick, I have it towed to a shop and tried to have a celebration of Easter with family. I had to inconvenience a relative to drive me home that night, about 110. Miles. One way. The next day the person from the repair shop tells me it's your torque converter and my fee is $2000.00 I had to pay it. When I got the car back a week later I checked with Ford and low and behold there is a recall on the torque converter. ( Now see above as to what happened with the first owner) I call Ford and they refuse to help me. Even though the part was never changed when the first customer presented the receipt to George Wall Ford. Had George Wall checked they would have seen the replacement was not done, never paid and this would not have happened to me. I want Ford to reimburse me and then charge George Wall ford for what they reimbursed me since they failed to check the work from the outside vendor.

- , Middletown, NJ, USA

Jan 132016

Monterey 4.2L

I.am very unhappy with this van. Trans dies in middle of road...with 5 kids........My family is left with no van and stuck at home...So my van sits by itself and I have no clue what to do.........I stopped at a light and the van just dies ...put it in park and it started right up smooth ...Put it in drive or reverse, it just dies automatically...like turning the key off ... Towed it home and have no van for the family now............I hope they recall the trans on this van soon ......It will sit till I get another van.....It's not safe to drive a Ford van.....I'll wait a bit too see if it gets recalled. If so I'll get another Ford..If not, I'll never get another Ford...................................................

- , Athens, USA

Feb 012014

Monterey

Never had a car with these issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Mar 082012

Monterey V6

After ONLY 3 years of having the transmission replaced it failed AGAIN!!! Do any of the Ford engineers understand transmissions????? Cost me another $2,000....I got rid of this van 3 weeks later!!

- , Red Oak, TX, USA

Oct 012009

Monterey V6

Only had roughly 80,000 miles on my Monterrey van and transmission had to be replaced! Lousy lifespan on transmission.

- , Red Oak, TX, USA

Sep 022011

Monterey

I was driving off an exit ramp onto another highway, I had just made the turn when I completely lost drive power. The engine would rev, the air would blow, the radio would work but I couldn't go anywhere. I was 45 minutes from home and had to sit in the median for an hour waiting for the tow truck to come in 90 degree weather in business attire. I towed the vehicle to the transmission shop where they told me it would be $1,800 to rebuild. I called the dealership where the van was purchased and am having it towed down there next week. I am hoping that they will work with me some on the repair. Regardless it is ridiculous for a vehicle with 65000 miles to have the transmission go out. Additionally, in another circumstance, completely losing my "go" could have resulted in a nasty accident and injury to myself or my kids. I felt like a sitting duck trying to steer the vehicle into the median.

- , Greenwood, SC, USA