1998 Mercury Mountaineer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Mercury Mountaineer:

1998 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Apr 032010

At approximately 2:15 I parked my 1998 Mercury Mountaineer on the street in front of my house. At approximately 2:30 I heard the vehicle theft alarm go off. When I went to shut off alarm, I saw flames coming from the right front wheel well. (I could not see what was happening on the other side of vehicle) I went back into my house to fetch my dry chem fire extinguisher. I went back to the car and attempted to extinguish the fire. When I was unsuccessful, I had my son call 911 for fire department assistance. A fire truck responded within 3-5 minutes at which time the whole front end of the vehicle was engulfed in flames. The fire department put the fire out within 5 minutes. Upon inspection, I noticed that the whole motor compartmant was consumed by the blaze and the fire had started to burn the dash and interior of the vehicle. The vehicle appears to be a total loss.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Sep 082002

My display lights on my radio started dimming in and out. Now they are completely gone. I took it to my local Ford dealer and they told me that it would cost at least $350 for them to send it off and have it repaired. There are several other same vehicles who have the same problem.

- Odum, GA, USA

Feb 242000

Mountaineer 4WD

Vehicle driven in forward and comes to a stop (I.e.- at a stop sign, toll booth, or traffic light) will stall/hesitate without warning when attempting to proceed forward again. This has happened multiple times since we purchased the vehicle new. Vehicle was taken to several different dealerships in three states and they say "Ford/Mercury is aware of the problem but at the current time there is no fix." Radio when tuning would not pick up any radiostations due to radio not hooked to antenna. Door molding on drivers side door came loose and prevented the door from being opened more than three inches. Driver was not able to enter drivers side door to drive vehicle. Rear windshield wiper engine burned out and rear wiper did not work. Brake stuck when attempting to place vehicle into gear after initial start of engine.

- Gunpowder, MD, USA

Aug 071998

Vibration in rear of vehicle, unable to locate problem.

- Pompano Be, FL, USA