2. the new ford seal must be driven with a modifed seal driver (1 reports)
2002 Mercury Mountaineer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Mercury Mountaineer:

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Apr 012012

This problem is the end all for me the rear wheel is bad and with me still paying for the transmission I can't afford to get these things fixed. I'm done with this product and when my friends ask about my truck I steer them away from this product. I have been able to point some things out to other people who have their vehicles and they're now trying to get rid of their vehicle before it gets too bad. They say they can see a little leak and they hear a noise. I've talked to some repair people and they tell me this is an expensive problem and now a lot of people are going through this. This vehicle is too expensive to keep.

- , Grimesland, NC, USA

Oct 152008

Mountaineer 4.6L V8

Ford does supply a small instruction sheet with the new seal. It is definitely wise to follow it.

- , Burnet, TX, USA

May 242007

Mountaineer 4.0L V6

I have a new rear diff and I'm on my third set of axle seals. Ford is aware of the issue and has created "updated" seals... THEY STILL LEAK!!! If you don't stay on top of them and always have your diff refilled then it'll fail... AGAIN!!! Yeah, I'm selling this. Summary: new blower motor for AC/heat, 4 new bearing and hubs, 1 new diff, 2 new radiators, 3 sets of axle seals for the new diff... it's only a 2002!!!!

- , Clifton, VA, USA