5.0

2. replace the trim pieces (2 reports)
2003 Mercury Mountaineer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Mercury Mountaineer:

2003 Mercury Mountaineer Owner Comments

Oct 102011

Mountaineer V6

The car has been well taken care of. It's trade in value definitely decreased because of poor paint.

- , Whitefish, MT, USA

Jul 012009

Mountaineer Premium AWD 4.6L

Another fine Ford quality issue. The glossy paint on the B pillars is starting to peel off. Doubt Ford will offer a fix being out of warranty.

- , Little Elm, TX, USA

Nov 012005

Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V8

I don't know what more I can say that everyone on this site hasn't already said. I too tried to get my dealer to replace the black trim around windows, under warranty, but they said no. My Mountineer/Explore has had so many problems. Why? And Ford Administrators wonder why people hate them in their fancy jets that they use to go to DC to ask for tax money to bail them out.

- , Fircrest, WA, USA

Oct 282006

Mountaineer 4.0L V8

I saw this problem with the door and rear hatch vertical pilaster trim fading and peeling occurring on nearly every Explorer and Mountaineer with comparable mileage. This is a Factory problem of using material for these pieces that was not suitable. Only after persistent complaining to my dealer did they offer a "one time out of warranty" replacement of these pieces. I was assured that the replacement pieces were made of a different material as the actual part number in the book had changed from the original issue. I was further informed to expect the black plastic panel at the bottom of the glass hatch section of the rear hatch to be cracking. My vehicle is just now 70,000 miles and the damn thing just cracked. So now I get to start AGAIN trying to get that thing fixed. I have been an ardent supporter of "BUY AMERICAN" but EVEN I have to admit I'm beginning to look a FOOL!

- , Lakewood, CO, USA